Just got a mini dumptruck

I'm on a buying tear lately. Just purchased a mini dump truck for use in TN. Daihatsu Hijet street legal mid speed vehicle, should be pretty useful. Whopping 660cc engine, 4x4

IMG_20210601_162015.jpg

Not mine but this is what it is.

Street legal but is says off road use only? My uncle has one and they are illegal to drive here in MN.

The off road use sticker is something the dealer put's on. Not all states allow them to be tagged. TN allows it to be tagged as a medium speed vehicle, not allowed on the interstate. Only allowed on county roads. The also have a speed limiter installed that is very easy to remove.

If you can put a few loader buckets of material in the back and drive it across your property you've just saved a whooooole lot of time on a tractor. Plus these are pretty conservatively rated at ~1300 lb payload which is impressive for such a smell vehicle.

I liked it because it was cheaper than getting a Kubota UTV or Kawasaki mule and it has the advantage of going on road. Has AC and airbags as well. Tires will need to be changed to something more aggressive if I can find any LOL 145R12

Those would be a handy little truck for doing stuff in the woods and things like fencing. Tractors do move pretty slow on anything remotely rough and slower still with a full bucket of gravel. I keep my eye out for a 2 or 3 ton farm dump trailer but people seem to hang on to them. My poor little atv trailer seem to hold about 2 tons of sand but only at tractor speeds and I've got to use the tractor to tip it up and dump it which is hard on the tail lights!

I've been seeing more and more of these in NY. Seems like they have figured out how to get them registered.

If I could get one as a daily driver that would be awesome!

Those would be a handy little truck for doing stuff in the woods and things like fencing. Tractors do move pretty slow on anything remotely rough and slower still with a full bucket of gravel. I keep my eye out for a 2 or 3 ton farm dump trailer but people seem to hang on to them. My poor little atv trailer seem to hold about 2 tons of sand but only at tractor speeds and I've got to use the tractor to tip it up and dump it which is hard on the tail lights!

Most of the ones I have seen have the radiator mounted low and at an angle; you would want to relocate the radiator before taking it into the woods

The scale of it next to the F250 is just fantastic. (y)

That's a stout dump cylinder for that little bed!

The scale of it next to the F250 is just fantastic. (y)

That's a stout dump cylinder for that little bed!
I know it looks like a toy :) Dump bed is supposed to be able to lift 1700lbs

Reactions: JC1
Looks like your full size truck has reproduced. What length bed is that? Looks like it would be long enough to carry 8' lumber.

Looks like your Hijet came straight out of Japan. It has right handed steering wheel on it. 660cc engine will do you good service. In Asia, you will see a lot of 125cc engine motorcycles with sidecars hauling heavy stuffs. Daihatsu is well known Japanese brand. Your only problem you will encounter is parts. Ordering them from Japan will take weeks.

Is the 660 engine a single cylinder with a belt drive transmission? Thinking something like the Yamaha Grizzly or Rhino 660s had

Back