New truck?!?

if you are beating on it absolutely. the gear reduction makes a lot of torque but if you are operating as normal, no. it wouldn’t only be wear and tear on the planetary gear set in the transfer case
I agree. I wonder why manufactures went away from offering it as a gear selection on the tcase? Maybe cost? Or because most do not use it? Would you use it?

Thanks. @BrendanC and I think were thinking the same thing. In theory, I get it.

I used to use 4lo on some job sites with my 15k goose in adverse conditions. Have you ever had anyone create a switch for the front actuator, I believe it is ground switched, which makes it easy.

@BrendanC did you say that there was a kit?
front actuator is needs a key switched +12v signal at one pin and when it is commanded to extend another +12 signal is sent to it. when told to retract the second +12v signal is turned off and the key switched +12v will retract it. what vehicle do you have?

front actuator is needs a key switched +12v signal at one pin and when it is commanded to extend another +12 signal is sent to it. when told to retract the second +12v signal is turned off and the key switched +12v will retract it. what vehicle do you have?
well I have 3 gm vehicles that I would do it to,
04 burb,
99 burb gmt400
15 gmc 3500 gas
maybe 04 tahoe

wow you sound like you have done this before, i am impressed

well I have 3 gm vehicles that I would do it to,
04 burb,
99 burb gmt400
15 gmc 3500 gas
maybe 04 tahoe

wow you sound like you have done this before, i am impressed
i converted my 02 2500HD to 4wd so i know the actuator wiring well. BD Diesel sells the kit to unlock the front diff. different kits for 2014+ trucks however. for the GMT400 you can just interrupt the ground to the actuator or dorman sells a kit to convert to the gmt800 electric actuator to get rid of the sometimes slow to engage thermal actuator.

I live in Houston(ish). My last car and my current CR-V I bought last week are AWD. I never had AWD previously except for a Subaru in the 90's. I'm generally penurious but have come to the feeling the AWD is a good idea. Especially with our harsh winters and blizzards. That once a decade 1/2" of snow wreaks havoc. :)

I'll remember that during the next ice storm when all the 4x4 guys are slamming into concrete dividers, telephone poles, each other, And other motorist.
Those who have more "macho" than common sense will always be among us.....

From a Mechanic in North Texas' point of view.....4WD/AWD is rarely needed here, In fact I'd say people having 4WD gives them to much confidence leading to poor decisions.
I love the classics line when it comes to repairing 4WD systems/components....."I never use it" :ROFLMAO:
Last snowstorm we had a while back some Georgia moron in a Jeep was tailgating me as we were going about 10mph down the main drag. It was that bad. I'd finally had enough, stopped in the middle of the street and got out with him. Told him he could either back up off me, or get a ticket. And I absolutely would have called for a ticket book to write the thing then and there since I don't carry one on a daily basis.

'4WD doesn't help you stop'

I'll remember that during the next ice storm when all the 4x4 guys are slamming into concrete dividers, telephone poles, each other, And other motorist.
100% correct. Every year, on my nearest main road, it gets iced over for about a week, and sure enough there is at least one big diesel monster truck, stuck on the side of the road, with a white sheet in the window.

Back