IF you were to buy a 3/4 ton truck........

Well how in the world are you justifying your previous comment about which truck to buy when you don't even know what's going on in the truck world? You just throwing out suggestions like darts? Or is it based on brand simply because you're a fan of the brand?

Hate to pick on you, but come on.
The title of this thread is "IF you were to buy a 3/4 ton truck"....so I responded as 'if I were to buy a 3/4 ton truck'.

In my opinion..a large percentage of pickup truck buyers don't use them for their intended purpose but rather to compensate for something. If you need a truck...buy a truck...if you don't need a truck don't buy a truck.

Ram has the most dated 3/4 ton platform and powertrains at this point. And for a multitude of other reasons, they would be dead last on my list unless you are working under severe budgetary constraints.
Dated and kinks worked out is fine - isnt that why many swooned for so long over the Tundra?

But I get it that there seem to be other issues with engines and quality.

I’d buy a Cummins Ram 2500 though if it were my money…

Hotshot consultant discussing what truck to buy and why.

If you don't want to watch the video, he states Ford/ Chevy. He states outside of the engine and transmission, Rams are not reliable.

I guess mine didn’t get the memo.

I know this about Fords. My FIL has had to do cab and/or bed mounts on every single one he has owned (I’m counting 7 off the top of my head, over the last 15 or so years). They do get used as a truck, and last well over 100k in true severe service (terrain, loading, trip types, etc). But it happens consistently on the super duties to the point that he factors that cost into the upfront upkeep. He did have one with a failed evaporator. I guess that’s a thing with super duty trucks. The tech (on the Caribbean) was so familiar he knew exactly how to finagle the dash to get it swapped in just a few hours.

Personally, ford would be last on my list, as they’re too clunky and plasticky. But obviously the buying public loves the F series and that’s good!

I guess mine didn’t get the memo.

I know this about Fords. My FIL has had to do cab and/or bed mounts on every single one he has owned (I’m counting 7 off the top of my head, over the last 15 or so years). They do get used as a truck, and last well over 100k in true severe service (terrain, loading, trip types, etc). But it happens consistently on the super duties to the point that he factors that cost into the upfront upkeep. He did have one with a failed evaporator. I guess that’s a thing with super duty trucks. The tech (on the Caribbean) was so familiar he knew exactly how to finagle the dash to get it swapped in just a few hours.

Personally, ford would be last on my list, as they’re too clunky and plasticky. But obviously the buying public loves the F series and that’s good!
@JHZR2 , is your Dodge a 1990s model? If so, a simpler truck in the timeframe that reflects what I think one may find in a new Chevy heavy duty pickup. My observation of late model Chrysler/Dodge/ RAM products is the effort is into the bling factor, not the quality factor.

I rent a lot of vehicles, and when I get a Chrysler/Dodge/RAM rental- they remind me of girls I dated in my late teens- well dressed, a lot of makeup, great to take on a date- but not marriage material......

@JHZR2 , is your Dodge a 1990s model? If so, a simpler truck in the timeframe that reflects what I think one may find in a new Chevy heavy duty pickup. My observation of late model Chrysler/Dodge/ RAM products is the effort is into the bling factor, not the quality factor.

I rent a lot of vehicles, and when I get a Chrysler/Dodge/RAM rental- they remind me of girls I dated in my late teens- well dressed, a lot of makeup, great to take on a date- but not marriage material......
I'm the guy who was too scared to ask those girls out - and was invisible to them anyway. 😂

My concern with Ford is that they have tended to discontinue dealer-only parts after a few years.
That is a really big issue, and on top of that Ford uses a lot of different parts to do the same job.

An example, my F350 with the V10 has three different fuel pumps, based on what the cab and bed length is. This adds numerous issues reference getting the part right- and finding the right part.....

Whatever gas motor you get, you need to get 4.10/4.30 gears. Most have 3.73's: Ford/GM/Ram.
With the 10 speed transmissions I've found this to no longer be the case. Unless your planning to tow really heavy(In which case I'd recommend the Diesel anyways) I think the 3.73 is the perfect gear ratio for these trucks.

She’s got a 3/4 ton rear end, a 3/4 ton transmission and transfer case, a 3/4 ton cast iron block, and 8 lug 3/4 ton wheels. It runs on 87 octane so you don’t have buy premium. What’s not to like. Any make will do. :D

Whatever gas motor you get, you need to get 4.10/4.30 gears. Most have 3.73's: Ford/GM/Ram.
In 2021 i could not get a 4;10 rear in the chevrolet, i could in the ram.

If i go from 275/70/18 tires to 275/60/18 tires, i will be a equivalent to a 4:30 rear.

I agree that with the newer 10sp transmissions, it matters less.

Last edited:
In 2021 i could not get a 4;10 rear in the chevrolet, i could in the ram.

If i go from 275/70/18 tires to 275/60/18 tires, i will be a equivalent to a 4:30 rear.

I agree that with the newer 10sp transmissions, it matters less.
Yes, with any 3/4 ton you can manually hold the transmission in a lower gear and give the effect of a 4:10 rear end regardless of the tire size.

I have 3.73s in my 2024, not even an issue with the 10 speed. Was a big deal when I had my 6.0 gasser trucks with the 4 and 6 speed. The 4.10s were a must in those. You just don't need 4.10s with a 10 speed 403 HP and 464 ft/lbs of torque. I find this thing is always in the correct gear when towing.

Sure, mine are both 1996 trucks.

That said, look at any contract hauler truck out there, most all are dodge Cummins trucks.

Tow trucks and flat beds are about 50/50 ford and dodge. I don’t see many 3500-5500 size Silverado trucks doing real work around here. I do see the medium duty Chevy trucks.

So I think if the long haul contract truckers are using dodges, it’s probably a good indicator. As with any vehicle, it’s all in how you set it up. Buy one with an “I deserve” mindset with all kinds of stupid gadgets, and don’t be surprised when something fails. Regardless of brand.

What’s your indication thst a new GM HD truck is more like an older Dodge?

I have 3.73s in my 2024, not even an issue with the 10 speed. Was a big deal when I had my 6.0 gasser trucks with the 4 and 6 speed. The 4.10s were a must in those. You just don't need 4.10s with a 10 speed 403 HP and 464 ft/lbs of torque. I find this thing is always in the correct gear when towing.
I’d imagine the 4.10 truck with fewer gears is also screaming on the highway over 65mph…

So I think if the long haul contract truckers are using dodges, it’s probably a good indicator. As with any vehicle, it’s all in how you set it up. Buy one with an “I deserve” mindset with all kinds of stupid gadgets, and don’t be surprised when something fails. Regardless of brand.
Not sure the veracity, but I've seen it said hotshots run Cummins trucks because they're the cheapest, and the base/stripper chassis cab version is lighter than either the Ford or GM alternative, giving them more tow weight while still staying legal.

The title of this thread is "IF you were to buy a 3/4 ton truck"....so I responded as 'if I were to buy a 3/4 ton truck'.

In my opinion..a large percentage of pickup truck buyers don't use them for their intended purpose but rather to compensate for something. If you need a truck...buy a truck...if you don't need a truck don't buy a truck.
I have the exact same opinion and did the same. My opinion of trucks in general didn't matter to this discussion as I can see reasons when I would need one and picked my preference from there. I have trucks I like, they just don't fit my use.

Not sure the veracity, but I've seen it said hotshots run Cummins trucks because they're the cheapest, and the base/stripper chassis cab version is lighter than either the Ford or GM alternative, giving them more tow weight while still staying legal.
That could well be the case. But when it’s all about pennies and nickels, a day getting something repaired is one not earning money…

Back