Any Truck 5 Speeds to Avoid?

The NV4500 used in the GM 2500/3500 & Dodge 2500/3500 was pretty good, as long as the 5th gear nut didn't back off, there are aftermarket fixes for them. I had an NV5600 in my '02 Dodge 2500 Cummins for a while-it was OK, but parts are almost impossible to find if one breaks. The GM 1500 manuals weren't as tough, and the ZF 5 speeds (like the one used in my F-450/SuperDuty) had issues too, shift fork issues, popping out of gear, etc. I've been using Red Line D4 in mine, hoping to keep it going, been OK so far...

I gave up on a stick as a daily driver long ago. Clutch will wear out multiple times before a well built, well maintained AT. If your buying used, you can almost count on needing a clutch at some point, at which you can change the internal slave cylinder as well. A clutch typically isn't as much work of course.

The gearbox themselves will also wear out - especially if abused. Most common is they will not hold high gear due to wear -will fly out of gear under load - with enough time.
Toyota (FWD) ones seem fairly tough, the xB's C50 & Corolla's C59 have both been good (& have been rewarded with Red Line MT-90). My clutches are both not great, but if the RPMs are kept up going uphill, they are both still working. I have a new one for the 171K Corolla-but I'm hoping to not have to put it in anytime soon. External slave cylinders FTW as well!

And to the OP-given (still) ridiculous pickup pricing, if I needed a cheap runner, it would be a GM 2500 or 3500 van, and a utility trailer (which is what I use). When I bought my Express, a similar pickup (year/miles/condition) would have been DOUBLE what I paid!

And to the OP-given (still) ridiculous pickup pricing, if I needed a cheap runner, it would be a GM 2500 or 3500 van, and a utility trailer (which is what I use). When I bought my Express, a similar pickup (year/miles/condition) would have been DOUBLE what I paid!
As someone who has eyes on HD vans currently - they're also more than they should be from people who need but cannot afford trucks 😒

Strictly interested in some gearbox knowledge. I have done extensive research on engine platform and model shortcomings. I'd like to keep this strictly related to the gearbox.

Looking to purchase a basic cheap old truck that won't break the bank for a secondary vehicle (home depot runs, random house projects). I will avoid automatic trucks since most of the trucks in my price range are higher mileage. I understand this doesn't exempt manual shift trucks from issues but a high mileage automatic is way too risky.

90s thru 00s 2wd Rangers/Mazdas, S10/Sonoma/Hombre, Frontiers, Dakotas and single cab short bed full sizes from the big 3 are what I am considering. Won't even consider a Toyota. I know they are wonderful trucks but the market for them is bananas. I can get a much lower mileage truck for similar price from another manufacturer that I am sure will suit my needs just fine. If this were a daily driver then I would consider a Toyota for sure.

When it comes to truck 5 speeds, are there certain years/model trucks to avoid? Ford for example I have read that on certain year/models of their trucks the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing...

I'd reconsider the Toyotas. The Aisin W56 or R150 gearboxes are durable and more reliable than the gearboxes in the others.

There is a reason they hold value better.

I definitely recognize that in my searches. For the same price you get a better vehicle with lower miles. I had a 97' E350 first year of the Triton 5.4 during my motocross racing days. Tough reliable vehicle never had issues with the notorious spark plugs blowing out of the heads.

The NV4500HD can lose the 5th gear sprocket if not driven correctly. There are fixes, though they aren’t always successful.

But you need to be looking for a truck with an NV4500HD to get one, and if you’re doing that, you’re notionally aware of the risk and fixes…

I'd reconsider the Toyotas. The Aisin W56 or R150 gearboxes are durable and more reliable than the gearboxes in the others.

There is a reason they hold value better.
The prices are still insane for small, low capacity trucks. You could literally buy two domestics and have a bet 100% reliability for less money. And probably better engines too.

My FIL was a Toyota only person for like 30 years of severe terrain use. He went to fires and never looked back. Got a screaming deal on a lightly used crew cab Tacoma high end model and sold it to buy another ford. It wasn’t even comfortable.

The NV 1500/3500 5 speeds are pretty good. You can find them behind Dodge 3.9s and, IIRC, some GMs like the 4.3. People still don't want V6 2wd single-cab trucks, so negotiate away!

Back