I am less than thrilled to buy next vehicle.

I was in the same boat, could not find a cheap used car, finally went with what looked good on paper, a simple Corolla. I kinda wish I had go up a level or two, the cheapness really shows. And lack of utility is really bugging me--my vastly older Camry has more utility (it can tow).

At the same time, it's the worlds most boring vehicle. My two old cars? if I'm driving those, it's pedal to the metal to get where I'm going to. This 'rolla? I sit back and watch the mpg meter. Zero desire to drive it fast. Probably because its so unrewarding.

Anyhow, cheap commuter car. I'll use it for a few years, then move on. No emotion involved at all. Least effort exerted.

My new Rav4 Hybrid in signature is a real fuel sipper. Average between 45 & 53 miles a gallon on regular 87 octane and running in normal mode. Only draw back, I ordered mine in beginning of February and didnt arrive till middle of August from Canada where its built. Sooo far, really really liking it.

These days all vehicles are good. If you need AWD consider Subaru. I am a subaru fanboy bc they have always treated me good. But buy what is comfortable for you.

I had a 1997 Lexus LS400. After 26 years and 200,000 miles I gave it to my granddaughter for school transportation. It's never been in the shop for a repair of any kind. Super reliable. I really liked that car: V8, rear wheel drive. I too thought about a hybrid but decided I would like something like the old LS400, so I found this Lexus RCF and I really like it too:

20220704_200814.jpg

Nothing beats hands on, if you're considering the RAV4 and the CRV hybrids drive both in comparable trims. The HRV is a nice vehicle in the highest trim, but somewhat slow and mpg is mediocre, the HRV & Civic hybrids arrive next year. Honda's latest safety suite is excellent, they've eliminated the radar sensor that was prone to getting blocked and made inoperable by snow and have gone to a superior camera-based system. IMHO the best value in the CRV is the Sport-L Hybrid. Touring adds some more gadgets like rain-sensing wipers but you get 19inch wheels with low aspect ratio tires which handle well but are harder riding and very vulnerable sidewalls. After driving Hondas for almost 40 years, I'm probably biased, but they've served me well with very few problems and I'm fortunate to have an excellent dealer for service. Due to the mechanical and electronic complexity, suggest looking at the 100,000mi/7 year Hondacare, pricing on that is negotiable so deal hard and shop around for it.

IMO, even with the longer commute I'd say that keeping the Tacoma as a daily still likely wins out. Most people try to justify a new car purchase based on fuel economy savings but it almost never makes sense. $26k buys ALOT of fuel, not to mention that you'd also be spending $$ on maintenance on that new vehicle.

Lastly, depreciation is a huge point most people overlook. For newer vehicles, depreciation can make up over half of a vehicle's total operating costs. I ran the numbers when I had an older Toyota truck vs a newer Hyundai... and despite the worse fuel economy on the truck... the $/km cost to operate the truck was actually better purely due to the fact that Toyota trucks are so low on depreciation. I would have had to drive that Hyundai to the ground over the next 15-20+ years just to get that $/km to have matched my old 4Runner.

And most likely sold in transit and unavailable on the dealer's lots.
And if available on the dealer's lot, huge markup.

Everyone within 2 hours driving distance from me wanted anywhere from 2000 to 5000 market adjustment on a Camry Hybrid.

Found a dealer in Rochester, NH. I was offered MSRP. As soon as the car was allotted to them, I was contacted.

But I heard, in TX, Camry hybrids were available as everyone was looking for Tacomas.

My dealer adds zero to any vehicle they sell. If it isn't on the factory Monroney sticker it isn't on the vehicle or sales invoice. Texas' best dealer if one wants Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, GMC, Ford, Honda or Toyota.

Long story short I sold the Lexus RX350 a few months ago. At the time it was the right move but now I need to backfill its position But I dont Really love anything. I am starting g a new position that will require A 46 mile commute each way 4 days a week. Yes it’s a long commute but it is also a 4 day work week. I will take it. I am back in central Texas whcih is also a bonus.
the Tacoma is a great truck but it is not great in traffic or on fuel to be honest. I plan on Keeping it long term because I always like to have a 4x4 for my outdoor activities. But it so t be good as a long term commuter.

my wife and I have rented a few cars over the past few months for long term evaluations.

my requirements are safety with my short attention span, at 52 I know my vision and response time is declining, .meaning I want dynamic cruise control preferably with stop and go. With the number of miles a greater than 30 mpg overall rating would make the purchase mean something financially.

cost..I wish cash was advantageous because I am prefers g to pay cash form26 k or less I can afford more but I don’t have any need to buy what I can afford And waste cash On nore than I need, my goal in the next 6 years is to pay off my home while continuing my retirement savings rate. I do t carry any debt besides the house. Ang Plan to vacation and take fishing trips to stay sane, not living like monk. So some weekends it will get a trip to the coast where I will take a charter out. And need to carry some tackle and ice chest and luggage.

Hyundai Tuscon. I like the way these drive and they have a traditional 8 speed auto. They get good mileage the new power train seems promising. my wife says the technology interface works better than the 2021 lexus, and I agree.

toyota cross hybrid_ if I can find one, i have been watching the late model used market closely.

toyota Corolla hatchback ( matrix comeback )

honda CRV. not a fan of the 1.5 turbo
honda civic..same.

one of my favorites..the Mazda 3 hatchback.

I have also looked at bmw x1s with interest

the only thing keeping me from goi g real cheap out and getting a 6-7 k manual tranny Kia soul is the safety and convenience features I want for the longer commute.

input in this soulless search for practicality is appreciated.
Grab a Ford Edge before they are all gone. They have all the safety items you requested and they are very reliable and are tried and true now that they have been built without any real changes for a few years. Escape is nice too if you want smaller and still meet all your needs. You can get the same 2.0 engine in the escape with the same smooth 8 speed trans. I actually work at the plant that builds the trans. Just thought I would try to help. good luck in your search

Not sure dynamic cruise control is the answer if you're inattentive and cars are slamming on their brakes in front of you.

I have the Toyota system in my Prius, and it brakes quite well for slowing drivers, but I'd hate to test it fully. It also has "Toyota Safety Sense" which beeps when you're coming up on something, but, again, it's at the last second.

Update, have a 2023 Corolla cross LE with 5k being delivered. Dealers are out of their minds or it would have been the Corolla hatchback sss or a new cross hybrid. Maybe next time.

My Corolla hybrid gets 60 mpg and has radar cruise that starts, stops and automatically keeps you in the lane. I'd take low teens when I sell.
Does it have traffic jam assist? I heard it's a 15$/mo subscription but actually works in traffic jams

Back