I am less than thrilled to buy next vehicle.

Long story short I sold the Lexus RX350 a few months ago. At the time it was the right move but now I need to backfill its position But I dont Really love anything. I am starting g a new position that will require A 46 mile commute each way 4 days a week. Yes it’s a long commute but it is also a 4 day work week. I will take it. I am back in central Texas whcih is also a bonus.
the Tacoma is a great truck but it is not great in traffic or on fuel to be honest. I plan on Keeping it long term because I always like to have a 4x4 for my outdoor activities. But it so t be good as a long term commuter.

my wife and I have rented a few cars over the past few months for long term evaluations.

my requirements are safety with my short attention span, at 52 I know my vision and response time is declining, .meaning I want dynamic cruise control preferably with stop and go. With the number of miles a greater than 30 mpg overall rating would make the purchase mean something financially.

cost..I wish cash was advantageous because I am prefers g to pay cash form26 k or less I can afford more but I don’t have any need to buy what I can afford And waste cash On nore than I need, my goal in the next 6 years is to pay off my home while continuing my retirement savings rate. I do t carry any debt besides the house. Ang Plan to vacation and take fishing trips to stay sane, not living like monk. So some weekends it will get a trip to the coast where I will take a charter out. And need to carry some tackle and ice chest and luggage.

Hyundai Tuscon. I like the way these drive and they have a traditional 8 speed auto. They get good mileage the new power train seems promising. my wife says the technology interface works better than the 2021 lexus, and I agree.

toyota cross hybrid_ if I can find one, i have been watching the late model used market closely.

toyota Corolla hatchback ( matrix comeback )

honda CRV. not a fan of the 1.5 turbo
honda civic..same.

one of my favorites..the Mazda 3 hatchback.

I have also looked at bmw x1s with interest

the only thing keeping me from goi g real cheap out and getting a 6-7 k manual tranny Kia soul is the safety and convenience features I want for the longer commute.

input in this soulless search for practicality is appreciated.

I have also thought about a hardtop Miata or z4 but it doesn’t have the cargo capacity I would appreciate when I go dump some disposable income into the saltwater.

A RAV4 Prime would cover about 1/3 of your commute on electric and good mpg on the rest. If the new employer would allow you to plug in each day while at work then about 2/3 of your commute would be electric. About 250 miles per week savings on gasoline, not an insignificant amount. Good luck figuring something out.

A RAV4 Prime would cover about 1/3 of your commute on electric and good mpg on the rest. If the new employer would allow you to plug in each day while at work then about 2/3 of your commute would be electric. About 250 miles per week savings on gasoline, not an insignificant amount. Good luck figuring something out.
I will look into that.

I have an almost identical daily commute. I drove a 2018 Subaru Forester from late '18 until a couple of months ago, and it served me very well. Safe, adaptive cruise control, AWD, 30mpg on hwy, smooth ride, huge moonroof. I suggest at least taking a look at one.

Prius Prime. Push your budget up a little. You'll save several thousand a year on fuel, and take home more from your labor.
110v charges at about 4 miles per hour, so no need for a modification to your house or anything.

But bottom line, seriously and heavily consider PHEV.

Prius Prime. Push your budget up a little. You'll save several thousand a year on fuel, and take home more from your labor.
110v charges at about 4 miles per hour, so no need for a modification to your house or anything.

But bottom line, seriously and heavily consider PHEV.

Don't even have to push the budget... if you can charge at work, a used 2nd gen Volt would be perfect... certain years were available with adaptive cruise control and the 46 mile commute should be doable completely or almost completely on battery depending on weather conditions. During cold weather having to use the heater you might have to use some gas but then it's just a hybrid that gets 50MPG.

Good luck finding one for a good price. My daughter bought one and with 25k miles and the tax rebate it's still worth more than she paid for it.

I'm a Hyundai fan, but I'd skip the Tucson. Here's my review:

A 2015-2020 Sonata would be nice if you can find one that has had the recall done that gives it the lifetime engine warranty.

The new RAV4 is also nice. Great shifting transmission and throttle response. Though the lane keep assist/traffic assist technology needs a lot of work.

I'm a Hyundai fan, but I'd skip the Tucson. Here's my review:

A 2015-2020 Sonata would be nice if you can find one that has had the recall done that gives it the lifetime engine warranty.

The new RAV4 is also nice. Great shifting transmission and throttle response. Though the lane keep assist/traffic assist technology needs a lot of work.

I briefly drove a new Tucson while I was on a work trip in Denver, I didn't rent a car but a colleague did and I borrowed it and put a few miles on it, it wasn't bad! Much better than the CR-V I spent way too much windshield time in. I'd buy the Tucson before the CR-V.

Escape or Maverick Hybrid (if you can find one)

Im not sure how far the coast is but a 100 mile a day commute seems perfect for an EV - as already being discussed there are lease deals to be had on VW ID4s.

Last edited:
You are kind of all over the map with your wants and needs.

Rav4 is a good balance of utility and mpg with its 4 banger and pretty much all toyota's have radar cruise now.

Back