IF you were to buy a 3/4 ton truck........

We are ford / dodge guys and not so much GM.

Looking at basic XL package ford F250 or Tradesman package dodge 2500.

Need 4x4, 4 door cab, and preferably a longer bed. Dislike the 5-1/2.., 6-1/2 or 8' is best.

This family member is buying their last truck (mid 80s) and this will likely be kept long term in good cond. Used for occasional medium load towing and later on planning on possible having a plow outfitted. Emphasis on the 3/4 platform mostly for better durabilty, probably dont really need it.

From the little I researched, the dodge is giving the better deal, and the fords seem to feel and appear to have the slight edge on build quality and the awsome aluminum body that is doing well up north here.

Opinions?

Over the years I've owned and enjoyed both but haven't shopped either lately. Agree with 3/4 ton, 4x4, 8' bed, gasoline, and extra cab vs 4-door. Good luck to a mid-80s guy buying a new pickup, enjoy.

Ford with the 7.3 gas would be best I think.
Personally I like GM the best, so MY choice would be a GM 3/4 ton with the new 6.6 gas.
Ram 6.4’s I think have oil burning issues.

I love my 6.6 10 speed Allison.

The Dodge is fine, but really does not do as well as the Ford or GM. It also has AFM.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I love my 2012 Ram and I would buy another if I needed a new one in a heartbeat. I'd only buy diesel in a truck like that but it's really up to you.

Just my $0.02

silverado/sierra 2500hd 6.6l gas (L8T) with the 10 speed. the 6 speed versions are also very nice. the new 6.6l motor has much more low end grunt than the 6.0’s it replaced and get exceptional fuel economy. 19-20ish isn’t unheard of on the highway with cruise set between 60 and 70.

the best bang for you buck is the ram, they're assembled in mexico so they are more competitive price wise. they will be rougher riding. the 6.4 also doesn't tow as well as the ford. it just comes down to budget and needs.

GM Duramax Diesel with 3.73 gears-limited slip diffs, Trailering Package, engine block heater, skid plates, and heavy duty electrical system (batteries and alternators). Quiet, better handling, and has the 10 speed Allison trans. Plow any snow bank clean…

I think you need to spend some more time defining what's highest priority to you. Make a list and rank order them with % of value per category. It's OK even to include emotional things; looks, feel, etc.

If ride is more important, then the Ram may win out with its air rear suspension.
If power is more important, the likely the 7.3L will come out on top.
If durability; perhaps the Ford.
If quality, maybe the Ram on top.
Corrosion? Hands down the alum will last longer.
Etc ...

Honestly in the short term I think they are all decent; each has pros and cons.

Reactions: GON
Find a clean 11-16 Ford with a 6.2. It will be reliable, about as easy on fuel as you'll find in a gas truck and parts are plentiful. My 16 is very comfortable to ride and drive and with running boards is a breeze to get in and out of. It's been the preferred post-surgery ride home for two grandparents in the same age group because of accessibility.

Back