IF you were to buy a 3/4 ton truck........

GM 3/4-ton non-AFM gasser would be my vote, except they've having some seemingly widespread issues with fuel modules they can't sort out.
out of 30ish (probably more but i don’t want to dig in the paperwork) GM pickups with this module, we have only had one fail knock on wood. very easy to change and locate on ebay. takes all of 5 minutes.

out of 30ish (probably more but i don’t want to dig in the paperwork) GM pickups with this module, we have only had one fail knock on wood. very easy to change and locate on ebay. takes all of 5 minutes.
Not sure if it's the same on the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, but the biggest problem I saw was with the electric shift, if the truck can't start (i.e. bad module or pump), there's no way to put it into neutral to have it towed, so it has to be dragged onto a roll-back. I can't profess to being a current GM guy, so I don't know if there are common ways to get around that or not, just stuck out as "not a good thing" in some videos I've seen.

Not sure if it's the same on the 3/4 and 1-ton trucks, but the biggest problem I saw was with the electric shift, if the truck can't start (i.e. bad module or pump), there's no way to put it into neutral to have it towed, so it has to be dragged onto a roll-back. I can't profess to being a current GM guy, so I don't know if there are common ways to get around that or not, just stuck out as "not a good thing" in some videos I've seen.
can be towed like normal. if the key can not be presented/ turned there are overrides to get any vehicle into neutral. any vehicle regardless of manufacturer with an “electrically” range selected transmission has an override in case of no power/malfunction. that is how many of the challengers/chargers are stolen.

Gas engine unless you tow 75% of the time, and that is still debatable.
Ram has a slight edge in styling and quality but I still rank Ford higher overall.
Chevy is still a good truck but if you go with 6.2 expect less than reported mileage.

I think they all have their issues and you may get one that has none of the issues listed on the forums.
Ford's push rod V-8's (Godzilla and baby Godzilla) are very strong and should be good long term, assuming you get one that doesn't eat the cam.
Ram has the same cam/lifter issue with the Hemi.
Chevy's quality is in the toilet. (I can only speak to the work trucks we use) They are shipping them to us with check engine lights on. (seriously) The 6.2 when running well is strong and tows well but mileage is about 13-15 mpg on a Trail Boss.

3/4 ton truck, edge to Ford in my opinion. If you can find an older Ford with a 6.2 V-8 that hasn't been abused it might be a good budget truck.

I bought a high-optioned XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 F-250 diesel in 2018, brand-new off the lot for $54k. Building the same truck on the Ford website has me, at a minimum, at $82k for a 2024, and that's before taxes, fees, etc and omitting some things mine has like gooseneck prep.

As much as I like the 6.7L, unless you have a very specific need for a diesel in 2024, I don't think the $10-15k premium is worth it. GM 3/4-ton non-AFM gasser would be my vote, except they've having some seemingly widespread issues with fuel modules they can't sort out.
I am on a few 6.6 boards. I have not heard of one failure yet. I have heard of some transmission leaks due to a bad pump seal.

I am on a few 6.6 boards. I have not heard of one failure yet. I have heard of some transmission leaks due to a bad pump seal.
Seems like it may just be 1/2-ton trucks? Bit of poking and it looks mostly like 5.3L guys seeing issues.

We are ford / dodge guys and not so much GM.

Looking at basic XL package ford F250 or Tradesman package dodge 2500.

Need 4x4, 4 door cab, and preferably a longer bed. Dislike the 5-1/2.., 6-1/2 or 8' is best.

This family member is buying their last truck (mid 80s) and this will likely be kept long term in good cond. Used for occasional medium load towing and later on planning on possible having a plow outfitted. Emphasis on the 3/4 platform mostly for better durabilty, probably dont really need it.

From the little I researched, the dodge is giving the better deal, and the fords seem to feel and appear to have the slight edge on build quality and the awsome aluminum body that is doing well up north here.

Opinions?
I own a 2018 F250 6.2L engine. I have nothing but good to say about the truck. As of today it logged 102,000 trouble free miles it performs very well and for a 3/4 ton it rides and handles very well. I would buy it again if I needed a new truck

Need 4x4, 4 door cab, and preferably a longer bed. Dislike the 5-1/2.., 6-1/2 or 8' is best.

This family member is buying their last truck (mid 80s) and this will likely be kept long term in good cond. Used for occasional medium load towing and later on planning on possible having a plow outfitted. Emphasis on the 3/4 platform mostly for better durabilty, probably dont really need it.

From the little I researched, the dodge is giving the better deal, and the fords seem to feel and appear to have the slight edge on build quality and the awsome aluminum body that is doing well up north here.

Opinions?
I had all three at the same time.(hotshot op) If for personal use Ram, chevy then ford gas 8 ft bed some small options depending on usage.

I like the Fords and own one but it doesn’t appear that ford has addressed the cam/lifter issues. 2020 was the first year of the motor and lots of 2022s out there with reports of the failed lifters/cam surfaces. And even starting to see some 23/24s now popping up with what appears to be the same issue.
That's insane that they have not fixed that in 4 years. Only reason to keep the ford gasser out of the list

That's insane that they have not fixed that in 4 years. Only reason to keep the ford gasser out of the list
I’d still take my chances on it over a Dodge but that’s just me. I’ve had quite a few of all 3 and they all have their faults although it seems the modern versions perhaps more so. If driving mostly highway then I like the GMs.

I’m talking 3/4 and 1 tons, haven’t had a 1/2 ton on over 20 years

The OP alluded to the fact that the last new truck was from the mid 1980's. Sticker shock may be in his future. Spending $65k+ on a diesel is what it costs to play anymore. Not too shocking to see these trucks close to $85k-100K depending on trim and wheels, accesories, lift kits etc....Crew Cab diesel in 4WD is $68K with incentives. It looks like a crew cab 8" box, Hemie 4wd is in the upper $50's after incentives. I bought a brand new Ford, 3/4 ton, diesel, 4WD, XLT Lariat in 1990 for $27K. I imagine in 1985 they were $25K. times have changed.
I like deisels- I've never had a reason to own one however. I don't recall the dodge 5.9's or the ford 7.3's being so expensive when things went wrong. My opinion is that for the money they want- I don't believe the trucks reliability is where it should be.

I would argue the quality is in the toilet across the board. I've heard it in my circle from those working at all the different brands. Find the one you enjoy driving the best. I really enjoyed driving a Ram 2500 regular cab 4x4 with the 6.4 and ZF8 so that would be my choice.

I own a 2018 F250 6.2L engine. I have nothing but good to say about the truck. As of today it logged 102,000 trouble free miles it performs very well and for a 3/4 ton it rides and handles very well. I would buy it again if I needed a new truck
That's what I have; 2018 F250 with 6.2L and it's a great truck. Made prior to the whole CVD supply/quality debacle. I'll keep this one a LONG time.

With yours at 100k miles, have you changed the plugs yet? (16 of them). Needs to be done soon if you haven't already.

Reactions: GON
What brand historically will support the super hard items that will take a mint truck off the road? Example suzuki went belly up and there was no way to keep them in emissions compliance. 20,000 rust free miles mint in the crusher. No evaporative emissions or parts avail. This is heard from a guy in upstate NY.

Is ford or dodge better with keeping parts availabilty? This vehicle will be one we keep in the family and will dispose of only when it rots out or a major part is no longer avail.

Opinions?
Unless Ford updated their in tank fuel pump design I know the Diesels had very expensive replacement costs when the fuel pump disintegrated. Not sure if you're looking at gas vs diesel.

Back