IF you were to buy a 3/4 ton truck........

We are ford / dodge guys and not so much GM.

Looking at basic XL package ford F250 or Tradesman package dodge 2500.

Need 4x4, 4 door cab, and preferably a longer bed. Dislike the 5-1/2.., 6-1/2 or 8' is best.

This family member is buying their last truck (mid 80s) and this will likely be kept long term in good cond. Used for occasional medium load towing and later on planning on possible having a plow outfitted. Emphasis on the 3/4 platform mostly for better durabilty, probably dont really need it.

From the little I researched, the dodge is giving the better deal, and the fords seem to feel and appear to have the slight edge on build quality and the awsome aluminum body that is doing well up north here.

Opinions?
I suppose the answer has to do with cash or finance.

Finance, I would go with Gm, then Ford, then Ram. But since you dont like GM..........

If not used for towing or hauling, I see no real durability difference as the the usage. In that case, new, financed or cash, I would go with the Tundra.

Really, I think the GM 6.6 gas is the most low tech of all the new choices to include the Tundra.

Unless Ford updated their in tank fuel pump design I know the Diesels had very expensive replacement costs when the fuel pump disintegrated. Not sure if you're looking at gas vs diesel.
The pump that disintegrates on the Fords is the CP4 which isn’t located in the tank, its inter the hood. The lift pump in the tanks are reliable.

When the CP4s go bad they send debris through the whole high pressure side of the fuel system and yes it’s very expensive. I’ve seen bills over 10k if done at a dealer.

There are several aftermarket “CP4 disaster prevention kits” on the market to prevent this. It’s basically just filter that goes inline after the pump so when the CP4 fails the mess is contained. Unlike the mechanical pumps of the past these CP4s are very intolerable to even very small amounts of fuel contamination. A little bit of water or DEF in the system and they are done.

That's what I have; 2018 F250 with 6.2L and it's a great truck. Made prior to the whole CVD supply/quality debacle. I'll keep this one a LONG time.

With yours at 100k miles, have you changed the plugs yet? (16 of them). Needs to be done soon if you haven't already.
I have not changed the plugs as of yet. It’s on my list when warm weather arrives. From a performance and MPG stand point it’s still the same as when it was new

What brand historically will support the super hard items that will take a mint truck off the road? Example suzuki went belly up and there was no way to keep them in emissions compliance. 20,000 rust free miles mint in the crusher. No evaporative emissions or parts avail. This is heard from a guy in upstate NY.

Is ford or dodge better with keeping parts availabilty? This vehicle will be one we keep in the family and will dispose of only when it rots out or a major part is no longer avail.
If you base your entire purchasing decision around future reliability potential you are likely to be disappointed. Frankly, all three of the big truck manufacturers have produced some great trucks, and some pretty bad ones. I can tell you a story about each brand not supporting their product and the consumer being left holding the bag.

Life is short, drive them all and pick the one you like the best.

I own three ford super dutys with three different engines to include 6.2 gas, 6.8 v 10, and 6.7 diesel. These Ford are very tough trucks, with ample parts availability. They are also rock solid dependable.

With that said, I am blown away by the design of new Chevy 3/4 ton trucks. Ford has tons of tech, the ram is flashy, but the Chevy appears to be rick solid, more simple, and is designed to be a truck first, not a image enhancement.

If I was going to be a new 3/4 ton trucks today, I would have to say Chevy likely is the "Toyota" of 3/4 ton us nameplate trucks. Chevy would be a very strong buy.

I own three ford super dutys with three different engines to include 6.2 gas, 6.8 v 10, and 6.7 diesel. These Ford are very tough trucks, with ample parts availability. They are also rock solid dependable.

With that said, I am blown away by the design of new Chevy 3/4 ton trucks. Ford has tons of tech, the ram is flashy, but the Chevy appears to be rick solid, more simple, and is designed to be a truck first, not a image enhancement.

If I was going to be a new 3/4 ton trucks today, I would have to say Chevy likely is the "Toyota" of 3/4 ton us nameplate trucks. Chevy would be a very strong buy.

Exactly. Both the Ford gas engines and the Ram gas engine have been known to chew up lifters or cam, the Ford worse then the Ram. The 6.6 is very reliable with only a few reports of slight burning oil under very heavy loads.

I'd get a "custom" trim with the 6.6, install a catch can to help with the DI and call it a day.

The pump that disintegrates on the Fords is the CP4 which isn’t located in the tank, its inter the hood. The lift pump in the tanks are reliable.

When the CP4s go bad they send debris through the whole high pressure side of the fuel system and yes it’s very expensive. I’ve seen bills over 10k if done at a dealer.

There are several aftermarket “CP4 disaster prevention kits” on the market to prevent this. It’s basically just filter that goes inline after the pump so when the CP4 fails the mess is contained. Unlike the mechanical pumps of the past these CP4s are very intolerable to even very small amounts of fuel contamination. A little bit of water or DEF in the system and they are done.
GM's too, talked to a couple guys who had $$ bills. Interesting that the oem wouldn't have a 'fix' whatever form that may be for a $100+ truck.

GM's too, talked to a couple guys who had $$ bills. Interesting that the oem wouldn't have a 'fix' whatever form that may be for a $100+ truck.

GM hasn't used the CP4 for many years now. Ram used it only for 2 years and switched back to the CP3. Only Ford is still using it.

If I had to choose between a Ford, GM or Ram I'd chose a Ford. If I were buying a pickup it would be a Toyota even though I'm not sure if they even make a 3/4 ton truck.
I'd buy a Toyota for various reasons and the UAW is a major one.

If I had to choose between a Ford, GM or Ram I'd chose a Ford. If I were buying a pickup it would be a Toyota even though I'm not sure if they even make a 3/4 ton truck.
I'd buy a Toyota for various reasons and the UAW is a major one.
They don't make a 3/4 ton. Their 1/2 ton is useless to people like me.

They don't make a 3/4 ton. Their 1/2 ton is useless to people like me.
I thought that might be the case. I'm not a truck guy and can usually borrow one from a friend for the one or two times a year (if that) that I need it. I can't justify the fuel costs to use a pickup as my daily driver and my vehicle purchase decisions will be based on quality and not patriotism (as in the past) going forward.

I thought that might be the case. I'm not a truck guy and can usually borrow one from a friend for the one or two times a year (if that) that I need it. I can't justify the fuel costs to use a pickup as my daily driver and my vehicle purchase decisions will be based on quality and not patriotism (as in the past) going forward.
Also the new twin turbo one is not doing as well as the old V8. Cabs have been off to fix the wastegates already. Any of the 3/4 ton and up trucks are going to do more work and last just as long or longer.

Toyota has had a lot of teething issues with the new Tundra (and the jokes of cab removal for engine work can be extended to Toyota now). The Tundra is also not really comparable to a domestic 3/4-ton, closer to a domestic 1/2-ton with a higher price tag, when it comes to doing "truck stuff".

Zero interest in supporting the UAW here, but Toyota just doesn't make a truck that can hang with the US 3/4- and 1-ton segment.

Well how in the world are you justifying your previous comment about which truck to buy when you don't even know what's going on in the truck world? You just throwing out suggestions like darts? Or is it based on brand simply because you're a fan of the brand?

Hate to pick on you, but come on.

Another idea is the Titan XD. You might be able to grab one for a song if they still make them

Another idea is the Titan XD. You might be able to grab one for a song if they still make them

Finding skilled/knowledgeable mechanics, and new or used parts will always be a challenge with this option based on very low production numbers.

All 3 heavy dutys are a better choice than the Titan IMHO.

Back