New truck?!?

one thing people forget about with 4wd is 4 low. having that other gear ratio is night and day when doing low speed maneuvers/boat ramp etc. i can independently control my front differential so i have a “2 low”

He is in Chicago. It's a 2WD drive truck. The dealer can't sell it.....It will bite him big time if he ever resales it.

He says the dealer has the same truck in 4wd too for $4k more. $55k msrp truck for 42 OTD, sounds like the Ram market is getting back to normal. Buy 2wd cheap and sell cheap. Did it for a long time in Pa.

one thing people forget about with 4wd is 4 low. having that other gear ratio is night and day when doing low speed maneuvers/boat ramp etc. i can independently control my front differential so i have a “2 low”
It sure comes in handy when you need to leave a steep driveway with a heavy trailer attached to the back, or some kind of a ditch, or bad situation. That extra money spent on 4x4 with low range will pay off then, for sure.

If you are willing to travel to Louisiana then you can get a GMC with 6.6 gas for that price with 30k.

The truck you linked is 3 years old, with 26k miles, not a crew cab, and is $43,000....

Unfortunately, the truck sold before I could get a deposit down... I'll keep searching.

I live down south and I still wouldn't buy a 2WD truck. We have a 4x4 RAM 1500 Big Horn 5.7 HEMI. However, he mentioned he's frugal, so it's his choice.
I too live down south. I've pulled my camper and or a trailer 8,000 miles and have yet to need 4x4...I'm certainty not opposed to a 4x4 truck. However, it simply takes away payload capacity which is why I'm looking for a 3/4 ton truck to begin with.

My dad has a 2021 Ram Big Horn, 4x4. He likes it alot. I found the interior to be very nice!

I forgot about it because my latest 2024 Silverado doesn’t have it.☹️

The truck you linked is 3 years old, with 26k miles, not a crew cab, and is $43,000....

Unfortunately, the truck sold before I could get a deposit down... I'll keep searching.
I understand that. I am cheap as well. I would rather a 3 year old truck that depreciation is half of new. Insurance is cheaper as well. I missed the crew cab however that gives more towing. Unless adults are back there it should work. Just an idea of pricing around here. You can't build a new one for less.

I too live down south. I've pulled my camper and or a trailer 8,000 miles and have yet to need 4x4...I'm certainty not opposed to a 4x4 truck. However, it simply takes away payload capacity which is why I'm looking for a 3/4 ton truck to begin with.

My dad has a 2021 Ram Big Horn, 4x4. He likes it alot. I found the interior to be very nice!

From a Mechanic in North Texas' point of view.....4WD/AWD is rarely needed here, In fact I'd say people having 4WD gives them to much confidence leading to poor decisions.
I love the classics line when it comes to repairing 4WD systems/components....."I never use it" :ROFLMAO:

From a Mechanic in North Texas' point of view.....4WD/AWD is rarely needed here, In fact I'd say people having 4WD gives them to much confidence leading to poor decisions.
I love the classics line when it comes to repairing 4WD systems/components....."I never use it" :ROFLMAO:
I have heard this excuse the last 50 years-it rings false for most drivers as the day somebody with spare time on their hands came up with it.

People buying 4WD all the time have absolutely ruined the new truck market for those of us that do not need or want or will ever own a 4WD. Like has been mentioned, it cuts into the payload, it is extra maintenance, and I'd never need it. I know full well what the capabilities are, if it is beyond the truck, you just don't go. If it snows that bad around here I'll summon the HMMWV to come get me. We don't camp anywhere that would ever take a 4wd to get in and out of and with 8/10 speeds, low range just isn't needed, although I can completely see where it might make things easier in certain circumstances.

And thanks to everyone buying 4wd, I can't get what I want anymore in a 2WD truck.

100% agree, if you need 4wd, there is rarely a reason not to use 4lo. I wish 2lo could be had without damage
for the GM pickups companies sell interrupters to allow for 2low and for fords you can manually unlock the hubs (super duties). for my truck it’s as built a 2wd truck that i converted to 4wd so my front diff is always under my control.

for the GM pickups companies sell interrupters to allow for 2low and for fords you can manually unlock the hubs (super duties). for my truck it’s as built a 2wd truck that i converted to 4wd so my front diff is always under my control.
Well, I get the front axle actuator switch mod....but do you know if there is any mechanical reason or disadvantage? In other worlds, could it not hurt something in the drive line? Not sure.

@clinebarger
are you a driveline guy? do you know the answer to the above?

Well, I get the front axle actuator switch mod....but do you know if there is any mechanical reason or disadvantage? In other worlds, could it not hurt something in the drive line? Not sure.

@clinebarger
if you are beating on it absolutely. the gear reduction makes a lot of torque but if you are operating as normal, no. it wouldn’t only be wear and tear on the planetary gear set in the transfer case

I have heard this excuse the last 50 years-it rings false for most drivers as the day somebody with spare time on their hands came up with it.

I'll remember that during the next ice storm when all the 4x4 guys are slamming into concrete dividers, telephone poles, each other, And other motorist.

Last edited:

@clinebarger

In theory, It would put less strain on the Transfer Case as no torque is applied to the Chain & Front drive sprocket, You're basically using the T-case as a reduction box.

In theory, It would put less strain on the Transfer Case as no torque is applied to the Chain & Front drive sprocket, You're basically using the T-case as a reduction box.
Thanks. @BrendanC and I think were thinking the same thing. In theory, I get it.

I used to use 4lo on some job sites with my 15k goose in adverse conditions. Have you ever had anyone create a switch for the front actuator, I believe it is ground switched, which makes it easy.

@BrendanC did you say that there was a kit?

Back