Good on gas - what is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
you are in a perfect position for a clean low mileage s series Saturn!

Yes you are! This was my first thought. 40mpg and will run forever. As mentioned, just check the oil.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'm sorry but, my mom had a ford focus, biggest piece of garbage, alternator died at 35k and rattled like crazy. Starter started to die at 45k but the car was totaled when someone pulled out infront of her, the Focus was demolished, very very soft car in a wreck.

The first few years had problems but the later years were better. What year was it? For poor college students, typically American cars are better because they're cheaper than their foreign counterpart and the parts are usually cheaper and most mechanics know how to fix them.

It was an '03 ZTW Wagon, died at 54k miles and 9 years old

Last edited:
With Saturns, which one to get? SL1 vs SL2. I know the SL2 is the DOHC motor but which is more reliable, and which gets better mpg? Also 5 speed or auto? I prefer auto but can drive a stick, I heard the auto Saturns are junk.

Are you going to run the AC all the time? Saturns have the CCOT compressor which doesn't cycle on and off; it varies its drag. However it will be a dog off idle. Get some tint though and you'll be styling.

If you're in the city a lot I'd get the twin cam for more pep; open highway get the SOHC as it has taller gearing for better MPG. (Of course there are mongrels out there like switching trannies or 5th gears.
wink.gif
)

I have had both stick and auto saturns, and both twin and single cams. In fact I've had nearly two dozen of them now. The automatics are NOT BAD since they shift like I would shift a stick shift. They hold 4th with TCC lockup until about half throttle then dump to 3rd without TCC. On the test drive make sure you warm them up all the way and look for harsh shifting in and out of 2nd, and reverse.

Any corolla or prizm you find will invariably have the 3 speed auto... they stuck those in "value editions" until around 2002.

If you are looking for an economical car in mpg's and cost of ownership, I wouldnt buy ANY Saturn. Longtime Saturn owner here (1993 SL2, 2000 LS1, 2002 SL2, 2002 L200, 2003 L300, 2003 VUE).

Consider the suggestion on the Prizm, which is really a Corolla or even just a flat out used Corolla. Corollas run for hundreds of thousands of miles and you do not have to worry about reverse slam transmission problems, cracking intake manifolds, rattling/breaking/falling off interior GM plastics, rotting subframes, and awful a/c performance that makes the car feel like you are riding piggy back on a tortoise.

I taught drivers education in a 1996 Prizm that had 260,000 miles on it that my company acquired around 70k miles. It didnt even burn oil. Kids constantly jammed the transmission into park/reverse while moving forward, we went over so many curbs I couldnt even tell you how many, constant panic braking.. that car was a rockstar.

An SL2 can be economical when they were still under manufacturer warranty and if you do not figure in all the constant repairs it will need, "especially" since any left are now over 10 years old since they were discontinued in 2002.

Sorry to be the buzzkill, but too many Saturns in my past, too many problems. The car will keep you busy running - when you arent on your back, underneath it in the driveway, that is.

Last edited:
It's a [censored] Shoot!
6 to one, 1/2 dozen to another!

Those Saturns could be OK but, the Corolla/Prism have a better reputation!

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
If you are looking for an economical car in mpg's and cost of ownership, I wouldnt buy ANY Saturn. Longtime Saturn owner here (1993 SL2, 2000 LS1, 2002 SL2, 2002 L200, 2003 L300, 2003 VUE).

Consider the suggestion on the Prizm, which is really a Corolla or even just a flat out used Corolla. Corollas run for hundreds of thousands of miles and you do not have to worry about reverse slam transmission problems, cracking intake manifolds, rattling/breaking/falling off interior GM plastics, rotting subframes, and awful a/c performance that makes the car feel like you are riding piggy back on a tortoise.

I taught drivers education in a 1996 Prizm that had 260,000 miles on it that my company acquired around 70k miles. It didnt even burn oil. Kids constantly jammed the transmission into park/reverse while moving forward, we went over so many curbs I couldnt even tell you how many, constant panic braking.. that car was a rockstar.

An SL2 can be economical when they were still under manufacturer warranty and if you do not figure in all the constant repairs it will need, "especially" since any left are now over 10 years old since they were discontinued in 2002.

Sorry to be the buzzkill, but too many Saturns in my past, too many problems. The car will keep you busy running - when you arent on your back, underneath it in the driveway, that is.

I have yet to notice any real unreliable saturns. I've had a few sure I've had to fix stuff but it's always been small wear out items.
I would put my Saturn against a corolla any day of the week.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
With Saturns, which one to get? SL1 vs SL2. I know the SL2 is the DOHC motor but which is more reliable, and which gets better mpg? Also 5 speed or auto? I prefer auto but can drive a stick, I heard the auto Saturns are junk.

The Saturn autos aren't junk they have flaws like very other automatic but they are far from junk. Personally I would buy a stick. But I hate automatics.
I've owned both , the sl2 got about 34 the sl1 gets about 37
They're both good engines. The sl2 is regarded as being a little better but I wouldn't let that stop me if I found a nice sohc.

I have yet to notice any real unreliable saturns. I've had a few sure I've had to fix stuff but it's always been small wear out items.

While they can be reliable, in between repairs...lol, I wouldnt recommend an 11 year old+ twice orphaned GM to anybody looking for reliable transportation. Just sayin'

While both the Saturn and the Corolla have their legacy (no argument here that the Corolla has many more miles & years of reported credible reliability), I have no sword in this fight. Just giving my $.02, which in todays volatile market is worth $.000012
grin.gif
Just trying to save the poor OP a headache, thats all.

Last edited:
There should be plenty of old farts running Corollas and Camrys in AZ....find a stick and you're golden....Kitacamry gets 24+mpg in town, 34+ on the highway @ 70-80mph.

Last edited:
If you want a wagon-style hatchback, look into a Hyundai Elantra GT or Kia Spectra5 (stick of course). Feel peppy and should get 34mpg hwy. Timing belt (I prefer chains!), though. Great value as they depreciate like a rock, but the '04+ ones are quite reliable.

Or Pontiac Vibe (auto is more reliable than manual in these). Since you're coming from a truck, you might want the utility of a hatchback.

My cousin has a 2001 L200 and it was a complete dog. Constantly having issue. Timing chain failure was the bad one. I mean, how do you screw up a timing chain? I think the entire L series had a whole host of quality issues.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

My cousin has a 2001 L200 and it was a complete dog. Constantly having issue. Timing chain failure was the bad one. I mean, how do you screw up a timing chain? I think the entire L series had a whole host of quality issues.

I should have elaborated that is not a Saturn that car is a gm with a Saturn badge. The older s series is all saturns own stuff and is a much better car. The a series is the only Saturn I consider a "real" Saturn

Also corollas are fine but the cost of ownership maintenance wise will be more. You just can't beat an old Saturn. I don't know what all this twice orphaned gm stuff means. Saturn is owned by gm but the a series was not gm [censored].

There are several people on here who will agree with me. For a cheap car you get a lot better newer lower mileage car than if you buy the corolla. The corolla is a good car but you can get a Saturn in better shape for the same cost or less. Also corolla had some issues, sludge on some of the 4cyl.

My wife had a 1997 Saturn SC2 before we married. She got the car with low miles on it, as a demo from a dealer. Nice car overall. The automatic is a Honda clone (non-planetary transmission), but it has a spin-on filter which is nice. The engine drank oil, but her dad kept it topped before we met. The biggest thing I didn't like about it (and one SL I drove) was the driving position. You had to positively lay down in the seat to avoid hitting the roof. They were built in the day when GM thought the roofline had to be low for a car to look good.

Some repairs were typical, some not so much. It needed a fuel pump early, and something caused the radio to die and Saturn had to replace it. Overall not bad though.

She sold it to a family friend with about 80k miles on it and their kid ran it out of oil and blew it up a year later.

Also corollas are fine but the cost of ownership maintenance wise will be more.

Never in a million years, not even on a bad day.

Saturns were good little cars, but I'm not sure this is correct. It may be true that COO could higher with a Corolla if you factor in the higher purchase price, but as written, factoring in only maintenance (and presumably repair), I don't think it's an accurate statement.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Saturns were good little cars, but I'm not sure this is correct. It may be true that COO could higher with a Corolla if you factor in the higher purchase price, but as written, factoring in only maintenance (and presumably repair), I don't think it's an accurate statement.

Perhaps if compare a $3k example of each, the Corolla might be getting into high mileage items like suspension bushings, ball joints, and wheel bearings, etc. And the the $3k saturn might have alot less miles on it?
In any case, old cars need to be evaluated on condition and not so much on reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back