Planning on buying a cheap, high-mileage 1993-2001 Ranger 2.3/2.5 5sp. What should I expect?

If it is only for periodic light hauling and you are on a budget then you might also consider a small utility trailer and adding a hitch to an existing vehicle.

I’d put a hitch on the Sienna and get one of these in my case. It is basically the same size as a small truck bed for much cheaper and doesn’t need the maintenance and repairs like a beater.

1717338475192.jpg

I had an 87 Ranger, 2wd, 2.3, 5 speed, that while it wasn't a speed demon, it wasn't as slow as some are making the combo out to be. It was perfectly adequate. I lived in So Cal at the time, it merged onto freeways just fine,

It was also the first vehicle I ever bought new. If I remember right it was $4495 out the door, and that included aftermarket add on AC.

If it is only for periodic light hauling and you are on a budget then you might also consider a small utility trailer and adding a hitch to an existing vehicle.

I’d put a hitch on the Sienna and get one of these in my case. It is basically the same size as a small truck bed for much cheaper and doesn’t need the maintenance and repairs like a beater.

View attachment 222729
Well, I would be fine with keeping my current Accord if the tranny wasn't dying. I've already dropped a couple grand into it and it's starting to become a money pit. Combine that with car payments and I am broke lol. Hence why I want a beater with a bed. I don't know why I didn't go for a truck, anyways. I do enough landscaping on the side to justify it.

I had an 87 Ranger, 2wd, 2.3, 5 speed, that while it wasn't a speed demon, it wasn't as slow as some are making the combo out to be. It was perfectly adequate. I lived in So Cal at the time, it merged onto freeways just fine,

It was also the first vehicle I ever bought new. If I remember right it was $4495 out the door, and that included aftermarket add on AC.
And now people want that same amount for their Ranger with 200k on the odo and a slipping transmission lol.

So, long story short, I'm looking for a cheap, fuel-efficient beater that I can haul stuff in. When I say cheap, I mean $2500 or less. I can't stand S10s and Japanese trucks are thoroughly trashed in that price range, so it seems like a Ranger is gonna be my best bet. I'm somewhat familiar with 90's OBS Fords and Panther platforms, but not Rangers. I've whittled down my choices to 2.3/2.5l 5-speed trucks, but I'm still looking at listings with close to or over 200k on them. What should I expect to be worn out or busted on a 93-01 Ranger with the specs I mentioned?
We had a couple Rangers that were PM vehicles, generally didn’t haul a lot-they were 2.5 automatics. Slow, I remember a couple rack & pinion replacements, and one that had a massive oil pan gasket leak. They were OK, but IMHO a van & trailer is better for hauling than a little pickup. Clean stuff & tools in the van, big dirty stuff in the trailer. And for some weird reason vans are MUCH cheaper than an equivalent pickup!

I thought the $9995 S-10s my company bought at the time (1985-86) were a good deal (2.5 Iron Duke 4-speeds)!

Back