GM Back In Top Sales Spot

was some of that due to efforts to clean up industry? I think the industrialists said "Get it off shore" as another $ savings effort (along w/lower labor/no unions) rather than innovate for clean air/H2O etc. I wish they took the long view rather than 1/4ly (as Japan said they were gunna do 50 yrs ago). I think it would have been better for the country & merican industry.
Sorry, I think I just changed OP's "GM story" but may B not, if they are number one now? We have the largest auto buying pop in world, no? Is GM on top world-wide (as well) or just here?
GM always held the #1 USA crown until Toyota grabbed it in 2021, now GM has it back (for now) GM has held the top spot for 90 Years, (ninety years) since 1931, Toyota took it form them in 2021.

We arent close in the #1 auto buying world China has us beat by 50%
Screenshot 2023-01-05 at 9.10.11 AM.png

Last edited:
We rented a Chevy Equinox for a trip from NY down to Georgia. It had the 1.5 Turbo & the performance & fuel economy were excellent.
We have a ways to go with my wife's Mazda (maybe) but the Equinox so far is on the short list. Her car doesnt get used much since she works from home and she prefers something a little more compact (like she is *LOL*)

Thnx (4 both posts, in 2nd) we can now call her (I've heard some say of the wife) the
"lill lady"
LOL
on the other hand ford hasa lock on the p/u (world wide?) since 1972? may B lost to Toy in
early'00 but got back again?

China is buying up some cars! It is easy to see why some companies build them there. I wonder what car culture is like there.

growing middle class - may B some similarities like here - status &/or ego buys (image).

Not sure how easy to buy (1/2 decade wait?)
Register (centralized state, avoid non-capitalist but has some tendencies)
Insurance?
and driver's license? (same as buy? long wait list, achieve approval 1st?)
Roads unimproved but for the cities
Traffic - chaotic and unregulated (dont B a foreigner ina accident - they hold ur passport till the other party is happy w/results).

We have a now older Traverse, only 55k or so miles on it. Bought it used during the height of the pandemic in March/April of 2020, was like new with less than 25k miles, GM certified, something like a 100k powertrain ect ect warranty.
Anyway Im shocked at its performance, our choices were more limited to a Jeep or Chevy type product and a couple overseas models as I require a factory tow package for our Chaparral 19 foot boat. Factory tow packages are not as easy to find but it certainly helps narrow down choices.
We almost bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee from Carvana, it was delivered to our house but I returned it 3 days later after finding factory paint defects.
I always liked GM products for one main thing though, the darn engines to me are bullet proof. My family and I have owned so many brands of vehicles over my lifetime and even back in the older days a GM car might fall apart with the hardware, door panels ect... but the engines always just ran. I cant say this about some Hondas I have owned or Suburu or Nissan.

Anyway the Traverse has exceed my expectations in every way, I also liked my last vehicle for a boat and that was a Durango with a V8 and that too was bullet proof until it got to around 150k. Body was still great but engine started having issues and then was time to call it quits for me.

The Traverse with the factory tow package, Im not sure if they all handle the same without it but this truck is rock solid. Pulls our boat no issues and when not towing you can easily and effortlessly travel at 95 MPH ( I haven't tested higher) without a thought, just a well controlled super smooth QUIET ride and I had the factory upgraded larger 20 inch tires and rims which might make the ride a tad more firm.
IN case you advent noticed. Im impressed with the vehicle. Think its in a class by itself (considering the price) and would not hesitate to get another. Oh... and so far, it hasn't needed a repair, everything works and there are quite a bit of options. I love remote starting it in cold weather, I get in the cabin and the heated seats are nice and toasty as the vehicle sensed the cold weather ect ect... I know others do this, but my sons BMW doesnt! *LOL* Bluetooth ect all work effortlessly and nothing falling apart yet.

BTW, the OP Tahoe is a whole other class above the Traverse but as a point I tend to make in here American roads and interstates are unique in the world and these large vehicles like the Tahoe and Traverse are made for American roads. They are unique and why I discount some EV models which we know what brand as being small 4 door sedans, compact cars, which is fine for local driving but man nothing beats a nice large SUV on American roads, sorry but to me that is American living. Some of these matchbox cars cost the same amount of money and more and again, we all have our preferences, I get it, just explaining myself.
That Tahoe is for American roads and way of life as far as I am concerned and it's beautiful.
Agree - who else would call this part of a Heavy Duty unit

B1BDB8EE-A19A-4422-B33F-90786EBAED01.jpg

Agree - who else would call this part of a Heavy Duty unit

View attachment 134215
Probably not good for some work applications. Our work trucks get filled with dust frequently (at least mine and one other that are always on construction sites) and it's caused the heater controls on the 2013 Silverado to intermittently fail (suspected because it never acted up in the shop) and the 2010 Tacoma lost the volume control on the radio (good thing it has steering wheel controls as a backup). My 2005 Silverado is all old school stuff so the only thing that died from the dust was the factory cd player. As much as I drool over new trucks and watch TFL trucks episodes all the time, the truck I have is still best for my job.

I recall reading somewhere that back in 1970-71 they had 51% of the US market and Chevrolet alone had 25%, there were some calling for GM to be broken up because it was felt it was a monopoly. Imagine that.
The market share then is why they failed . Overconfidence in your product means you don’t innovate, improve etc. I prefer car makers in closer competition because however rises to top by large margin seems to stay away from innovation.

Imagine that! They are one of the few automotive manufacturers who have new cars on the lots.
I don't see many 'cars' on the GM lots but I do see lot's of 'trucks'. Being more of a car guy I don't really consider a GM product anymore. I would, however, buy a Corvette over any of it's competitors if I was in the market for that type vehicle.

PS: Only a few years ago you could pick up decent used GM's like Buick LaSabre's, Centuries etc...cheap (compared to Japanese rivals)...sadly, nothing is cheap anymore.

I don't see many 'cars' on the GM lots but I do see lot's of 'trucks'. Being more of a car guy I don't really consider a GM product anymore. I would, however, buy a Corvette over any of it's competitors if I was in the market for that type vehicle.

PS: Only a few years ago you could pick up decent used GM's like Buick LaSabre's, Centuries etc...cheap (compared to Japanese rivals)...sadly, nothing is cheap anymore.
I wish less people bought trucks to do car things. I need a truck for work and I have my half ton filled probably to capacity with surveying gear and iron bars. The price of trucks is so high because if people buying them to get groceries with.
If it made any financial sense (it doesn't) I'd buy an old Corolla/Camry or an old Buick/Impala with a 3800 for a second car but at least during almost 3 seasons I can drive my 84 Cutlass for personal use to save gas (also cheaper tires, brakes, wheel bearings, fuel pump etc).
Lately though it seems like half the time I'm doing things on the weekend I need my truck for truck things (taking snowblower for repair, picking up stuff for work around the house or our rental property etc).

I've never been a truck guy. I just find them very uncomfortable to drive. Something about the seating stance, sitting high with my legs dangling. I prefer the seating stance of a car, lower seating and more stretched out.

But the roads are in such pathetic shape, that it's almost to where you need a heavy duty truck, because the majority of the roads will destroy a car.

I've never been a truck guy. I just find them very uncomfortable to drive. Something about the seating stance, sitting high with my legs dangling. I prefer the seating stance of a car, lower seating and more stretched out.

But the roads are in such pathetic shape, that it's almost to where you need a heavy duty truck, because the majority of the roads will destroy a car.

Probably depends on your physical size. I was never a truck guy either until I needed one, and now I can't sit in any car anymore because you end up with your knees in the steering wheel and/or smushed up against the door and side console, my head rubbing the roofline, and my bottom dragging on the road with no traffic visibility whatsoever.

My Ram is high of the road, has a deep cushy suspension, and more leg/head room than I know what to do with. It also has a "sit on top" seating position (even compared to other trucks like the GM twins), it's absolutely glorious and I cannot go back to puddle jumpers anymore.

I wish less people bought trucks to do car things. I need a truck for work and I have my half ton filled probably to capacity with surveying gear and iron bars. The price of trucks is so high because if people buying them to get groceries with.

This 100%. I’m at a point where I struggle using my sedan for work. I have reciprocating saw, drills, power tools, full socket set, telescoping ladder, tool boxes, boots, and totes of tools and equipment in my trunk. It’s gotten to the point where I have no room and my rear shocks keep failing because I’m hauling too much.

I’d love to get a small truck like a Ford Maverick or possibly a Chevy Colorado. I am awake at 4am today to go to the work warehouse to borrow the warehouse pickup and trailer out of my way 30mins because I need to haul a burned out HVAC unit 4hrs away in the mountains of NC.

90% of people I know who own F150s, Sierras or Silverado’s work office jobs and maybe tow a boat twice a year.

I’m all for people driving what they want, but it is totally market driven that pickups are now luxury vehicles and loaded like Cadillacs and cost $50k. If I got a truck I’d probably get a work truck trim with rubber floors to hose out.

During the last flooding in Houston - people came to small towns like mine and bought out all 4WD LT’s …
(our chief engineer was rescued by his son in a big 4WD) … He had his Porsche on the shop lift and left it …

This 100%. I’m at a point where I struggle using my sedan for work. I have reciprocating saw, drills, power tools, full socket set, telescoping ladder, tool boxes, boots, and totes of tools and equipment in my trunk. It’s gotten to the point where I have no room and my rear shocks keep failing because I’m hauling too much.

I’d love to get a small truck like a Ford Maverick or possibly a Chevy Colorado. I am awake at 4am today to go to the work warehouse to borrow the warehouse pickup and trailer out of my way 30mins because I need to haul a burned out HVAC unit 4hrs away in the mountains of NC.

90% of people I know who own F150s, Sierras or Silverado’s work office jobs and maybe tow a boat twice a year.

I’m all for people driving what they want, but it is totally market driven that pickups are now luxury vehicles and loaded like Cadillacs and cost $50k. If I got a truck I’d probably get a work truck trim with rubber floors to hose out.
Rubber floor mats would be awesome. My truck already needed the drivers floor pan patched years ago because of all the mud and slush packed in around the driver's floor carpet. I need to buy fitted floor mats.

Back