"Electrified" and "Electric" Corvettes are on the way - Rumor confirmed

On CNBC's Squawk Box this morning, GM President Mark Reuss officially announced that "electrified" and "all-electric" Corvettes are in the works.

“We will have an electrified Corvette next year. It’s coming very quick."

This has been rumored since the introduction of the C8. It's confirmed now.

I would love an EV sports car convertible. Especially RWD or AWD. However, as with all things EV, the final result will be so far out of my price range, I might as well just purchase a Camaro/Mustang V8 Convertible or Nitrous Miata and be happy.

The time for a simple "drivers" car, with a robust and powerful engine, slick shifting transmission and independent suspension seems to have come and gone.

The C8 was purpose built to accomodate front wheel electric motors. That car will be freakin' fast!
I wouldn't be surprised if it were like the Acura NSX that uses ICE and electric to power the rear wheels and electric to power the front.

I wonder if it’ll use the 83 HP Ultium AWD assist front motor, or one of the bigger, full FWD drive Ultium units (241 HP or 342 HP)? 🤔

Better be half that
The Tesla Roadster 2 will be the fastest Supercar in the world. Here's mine...
teslaroadsterwhite_1.jpg

Awesome. I think to continue pushing the Corvette to be relevant, an electric one makes sense. It just needs to be fast.
I'd say it needs to be able to do more than 3 laps on a road course, or do more than a 6 minute run, without overheating the battery, powering down to save components or running out of juice all together. The idea is to have a "sports" car that can actually compete in real motorsports.

I'd say it needs to be able to do more than 3 laps on a road course, or do more than a 6 minute run, without overheating the battery, powering down to save components or running out of juice all together. The idea is to have a "sports" car that can actually compete in real motorsports.
Because it is both Hybrid and a Corvette, I imagine that the battery will remain fully charged the entire time it is on track. Energy in, through braking, should exceed the energy out because the electric powertrain is not the sole motivator.

Back