Top 23 Longest-Lasting Cars: Trucks and Toyota's Dominate the List

It got hot enough to warp the block AND head, but otherwise remained in one piece lol
Ok. In the cases I referred to, the '94 Camry inexplicably* overrevved immediately on start-up, causing a broken rod to punch through the oil pan, while the '97 blew its head gasket. Both were well beyond 200k miles, though.

*They heard a rumor that throttle plates of that year had a tendency to fall off the shaft, which, if true, might explain the failure.

I am not surprised the F150 is down on the list. They are very sensitive to oil type and change frequency.
I think it was on their last year when they did the 200,000 mile results but starting this year they have bumped it to 250,000 miles so it pushed it off the list I guess.

Edit: It is #11 on the Longest-Lasting Pickup Trucks List

I wonder how they verified those-I can’t believe a Pilot could outlast a Camry, or a Corolla!
some of them could . I had a 99 Camryw 4 banger, it did this.. found out later the paint coating Toyota applied to the oil pan came loose and sucked up around the oil pump pickup...

1 camry.jpg

Sort of bummed Pilot makes the list. I don’t change up paid for vehicles until I have to and my 2015 Honda Pilot is base model LX and only 107k.

I despise its easily staining grey fabric seats . I wish it had leather or leatherette.

Decent list. I bet the old people ultra low mile Camry owners skewed the #s. Some of the other placements are just a little surprising but seems close enough. The shocker for me is Acura Mdx. I guess owners don't mind transmission swaps. Everyone I have ever checked out with significant miles had issues and the owner was tired of it.

Decent list. I bet the old people ultra low mile Camry owners skewed the #s. Some of the other placements are just a little surprising but seems close enough. The shocker for me is Acura Mdx. I guess owners don't mind transmission swaps. Everyone I have ever checked out with significant miles had issues and the owner was tired of it.
quite possible,,, neighbor has a HandyMan business.. works in Naples Fl... about a month ago he shows up in a 2006 Camry, looks pretty good except for the one dent in the rear fender. Seemed it belonged to the late Grandma who had lived in a customers house up until her demise. it had 56000 miles on it and on top of that my handyman neighbor got it for $1500.

Speaking of low mileage Grandpa cars.. my son was looking for a car.. he wanted a used Camry but his price limit was 10k, and allhe could find were beat up hi mileage Camry's for that price... so I suggested he look for a Grandpas car... such as a Buick, or an Impala or something like that... Whaddya know, my boy finds this 2006 Town Car under his price limit, thing had 70,000 miles on it and appeared to be garage kept.. Nice old car.
matts car.jpg

ISeeCars Annual Top 23 Longest-Lasting Cars: Trucks and Toyotas Dominate the List. This tenth anniversary study analyzed over 260 million cars sold between 2012 and 2022 to determine which cars were most likely to survive to high mileages.

Ram HD Truck Half Chance vs GM & Ford HD.

Click Below to Read the Article
Longest Lasting Vehicles
It would also be interesting to see the same comparison on average purchase price (by comparison) of the Toyota models in this list. My belief is that Toyota's cost on average relatively more than a competing brand equivalent. This was also true of cars like Mercedes and BMWs in the past whom also produced high quality vehicles. I am not sure that can be said about either of those makes today vs. what they were in the past.

All of the OEMs have tried to take cost, weight, and assembly labor out of their vehicles to try to stay competitive in the market. Some of these changes have affected quality across the board of their model offers.

For those of you whom have bought new model Toyotas (within the last 3 years) what was the cost difference between what you paid vs those of competing brands with models that were equivalent to what you purchased? My neigbor who works for a large (Big 5) insurers has also told me that Toyotas cost more on average to insure.....not sure why, but maybe replacement parts cost more.

Last edited:
quite possible,,, neighbor has a HandyMan business.. works in Naples Fl... about a month ago he shows up in a 2006 Camry, looks pretty good except for the one dent in the rear fender. Seemed it belonged to the late Grandma who had lived in a customers house up until her demise. it had 56000 miles on it and on top of that my handyman neighbor got it for $1500.

Speaking of low mileage Grandpa cars.. my son was looking for a car.. he wanted a used Camry but his price limit was 10k, and allhe could find were beat up hi mileage Camry's for that price... so I suggested he look for a Grandpas car... such as a Buick, or an Impala or something like that... Whaddya know, my boy finds this 2006 Town Car under his price limit, thing had 70,000 miles on it and appeared to be garage kept.. Nice old car. View attachment 155618
Nice find. When maintained, those things last like 300k in limo fleets.

IseeCars is a garbage dump of classified listings. Nothing more.

The only legitimate way to get this information is to have the mechanical condition of the vehicle assessed when it is either sold or traded-in.

These are the real winners. Not just by age but by the actual condition of the vehicle.

https://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/QualityIndexRating.html
Probably looking at different details. Likely hood of getting a certain mileage vs Heated seat went out quality. Toyota's top the list in both so not that much different though.

It would also be interesting to see the same comparison on average purchase price (by comparison) of the Toyota models in this list. My belief is that Toyota's cost on average relatively more than a competing brand equivalent. This was also true of cars like Mercedes and BMWs in the past whom also produced high quality vehicles. I am not sure that can be said about either of those makes today vs. what they were in the past.

All of the OEMs have tried to take cost, weight, and assembly labor out of their vehicles to try to stay competitive in the market. Some of these changes have affected quality across the board of their model offers.

For those of you whom have bought new model Toyotas (within the last 3 years) what was the cost difference between what you paid vs those of competing brands with models that were equivalent to what you purchased? My neigbor who works for a large (Big 5) insurers has also told me that Toyotas cost more on average to insure.....not sure why, but maybe replacement parts cost more.
Yes it would be interesting. I would assume that Toyota's reputation for reliability comes at a higher premium. I've often thought about this over the years. If I could spend less money, not buy a Toyota, and get slightly less mileage out of that vehicle I would not be upset about it at all.

Interesting. The 1500 silverado has 31% chance to reach 250k miles , but the same 1500 gmc sierra has only 18% ?

I think the methodology of this study leaves something to be desired. This study says more about what type of cars people are willing to repair instead of junking because they hold their value as much as how durable they are.

Speaking of low mileage Grandpa cars.. my son was looking for a car.. he wanted a used Camry but his price limit was 10k, and allhe could find were beat up hi mileage Camry's for that price... so I suggested he look for a Grandpas car... such as a Buick, or an Impala or something like that... Whaddya know, my boy finds this 2006 Town Car under his price limit, thing had 70,000 miles on it and appeared to be garage kept.. Nice old car. View attachment 155618
You have Smart Son!! Nice find!!!

A lot of 16-25 year olds in my neck of the woods buy CVPI's. The only really good CVPI is one driven by a supervisor so the Town Car is a much better deal.

Back