Toyota bigger than top 3, CR car maker rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the mighty have fallen. I keep hearing GM is bigger than Ford again, it hardly matters when Toyota is bigger than all 3 combined.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/busines...ysler/23852189/

US 2014 earnings before interest and taxes
$6.5 billion for GM,
$6.3 billion for Ford,
$3.9 billion for Fiat Chrysler

Toyota:
$24.5 billion for the fiscal year ending March 31.

Even if the per-car profit gap is due to the falling Yen, that doesn't account for the yawning chasm in market share, vehicles sold and gross revenues. I think it was 2011 when Toyota momentarily lost first place to GM.

In other news, an American Marque finally made CR's top ten auto brands FOR THE FIRST TIME:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2015/02/24/consumer-reports-brands/23940171/

So, good job there, Buick. Perhaps more remarkable is Honda and Acura's downward trajectory to 8th and 11th place. I guess all those new boring Civics, little quality issues and VCM problems are taking its toll.

Mercedes fell from 9th to 21st. Ouch. FCA bumps along the bottom still, no surprise there (speaking as a Dodge owner, DaimlerChrysler era, but whatever).

It really freaks me out to see Audi and Porsche on the top 10 list. These are brands I mentally equate with awesome driving, over-engineered, unreliable vehicles with crazy repair costs and hard to debug problems.

You can say it's all CR's opinion but it all came from 1.1 Million actual vehicle owners.

Here's 2014Q3 sales in Japan:

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/japan/2014-q3-japan-best-selling-car-brand-models/

Notice Toyota is almost twice the sales of Honda. This is a story of falling market share- when I was in Japan in the 90's, EVERYTHING was Toyota, I tried doing a car count and came out about 19 in 20 were some Toyota brand. I'd like to see Daihatsu over here. Daihatsu is quite the plucky little auto maker of plucky little cars.

Honda is doing quite well in Japan now. Years ago they were utterly dependent on US sales and hardly existed in Japan.

My take from both of these articles- even though US auto makers came roaring back after shedding huge pension and overhead liabilities, they are so far in the shadow of Toyota that it is time to admit there's a real problem here. You can point out quality problems (they all have them) but what matters here is Toyota is making automobiles that people want to buy, and those buyers (by and large) are happy with them.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
[censored], Chrysler is really turning things around.

How so? They are still bringing up the bottom in pretty much every metric... Not that Ford is doing much better but CR has never liked Ford although customers do as they have the most loyal buyers.

FCA is right down there in the 20's with MB.
smile.gif

I am hoping this thread will turn into a discussion about relative sales appeal and why, not another "but MY XXX has been reliable but YYY has bad engines". But I have no illusions about controlling the discourse, this is BITOG.

it's rather simple. toyota decided long time ago to produce fuel efficient cars while the BIG 3 were busy making monster trucks and SUV or polishing the chrome finish.

case in point. I used to own 03 corolla, rated city EPA 25. GM's corolla killer 03 Ion is rated city 21, LOL. Now, my commuter car is prius rated city EPA 51. I even considered volt as my next car, but then i realized the volt battery is essentially non-replaceable, making those cars worthless after warranty expires.

These are pre-Tax profits, not revenue, so Toyota is not a bigger company than the other 3 combined, just a more profitable one. Don't forget that GM's 2014 earnings were damaged in a big way by the multiple ignition switch and other recalls. And as Toyota's earnings are thru 3/31/14, they don't include the impact of sanctions on Russia and the deteriorating business climate there.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
it's rather simple. toyota decided long time ago to produce fuel efficient cars while the BIG 3 were busy making monster trucks and SUV or polishing the chrome finish

I'll take my SUV and polish my chrome while I wait for more gas money
grin.gif

Tesla best overall? That kind of makes me laugh when it is a $89K vehicle. For that kind of money it better be a great car! Still cant take a road trip to Vegas in it though.

Today's news:

"Toyota unveils fuel-cell car assembly line"

Quote:
The Mirai, which is being made at the firm’s Motomachi Plant in Aichi, central Japan, can travel about 650 kilometres (400 miles) without refuelling, some three times further than an electric car, and its tank can be filled in a few minutes like gasoline engine vehicles.

“We are thrilled to think that before everyone else, we are taking a historic step toward the establishment of a hydrogen society in Japan,” Toyoda told reporters last month when he delivered a Mirai to the prime minister’s office.

It starts first in Japan people, hydrogen in the U.S. by 2020.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
too much recall on toyota lately.

Have you heard about the GM ignition switch recall? Innocent people lost their lives in that one.

With the metric used here, Amazon corporation would be at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean or even lower! The point being when people say Corp X is bigger than Corp Y, usually they are looking at either the revenue or the market cap.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
To get to the top, all an automaker has to do is: produce reliable cars ( or trucks ) that are so desireable the customer will pay full price for them.

That is an unfortunate truth about the big 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back