The truth about American-made cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an interesting article.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/04/21/the-truth-about-american-made-vehicles.aspx
Quote:

I keep hearing rumblings from consumers and investors about how Toyota (NYSE: TM ) and Honda (NYSE: HMC ) vehicles are more American made than those from Ford (NYSE: F ) , General Motors (NYSE: GM ) , or Chrysler. So many people seem to believe this that I had to look into it myself. A simple search turned up a Cars.com "American-made index," which indeed declared that four of the top five most American made vehicles were Japanese models.

Fortunately for you readers -- and Detroit -- I was skeptical and dug deeper. The truth is that Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler are much more American made and the Cars.com index is deeply flawed. Here's what you need to know about buying American-made vehicles, and why it's important for consumers and investors.

Flawed
The Cars.com index takes in to account whether cars are assembled here, the percentage of domestic parts used, and whether they're bought in large numbers. I scratch my head a little bit at that last factor. I understand that the point is to discount vehicles that could be 100% made here yet sell only 10 units. But in reality, there are much better factors to consider when measuring for the most American-made vehicles.

In addition, the Cars.com index seems to minimize the importance of domestic parts bought. GM doesn't have a single car in the top five of the index, yet consider that GM alone buys as many U.S. parts as Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi, and all other Japanese automakers combined. Surprised? Wait -- it gets better.

Another thing the index fails to recognize is where the companies are headquartered. While the Japanese automakers do have plants and offices here, they aren't headquartered where the majority of their R&D money is spent. Detroit's Big Three are all headquartered here and have eight times the numbers of workers here that Toyota, Honda, and Nissan do. Detroit spends more on R&D here in the U.S. per year than juggernaut companies such as Boeing, Intel, Google, Apple, Hewlett-Packard, and ExxonMobil -- again, combined.

While the Cars.com index uses volume in its calculation, it does so in a flawed way. Wouldn't you rather calculate which vehicles that are made in the U.S. and also sold here? The data ignores that Detroit's Big Three, on average, sell one and a half times as many U.S.-made vehicles into the U.S. market as its foreign counterparts do

At this point, I decided to scrap the Cars.com index, and I found a much better study done by Prof. Frank DuBois of the Kogod School of Business at American University. This study viewed 253 cars, trucks, and SUVs to determine which had the most domestic content. It took into account labor, R&D, inventory, capital spent, engine parts, transmission parts, body, interior, chassis, electrical, and profits.

Tied at the top of this list, with a score of 88.5 out of a 100, were the Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, and GMC Acadia, which were all made in Michigan. Ford's F-Series -- the No. 1 truck in the U.S. -- was tied for second, with the Dodge Avenger at 87.5. Next up were two American muscle icons -- the Mustang and Corvette -- with a score of 85. You have to go down to a score of 81 to find the first foreign vehicle -- the Toyota Avalon. These results are a world away from the Cars.com index, yet, in my opinion, are much more accurate...

The best thing that could happen for Ford and GM investors is for the American public to once again back our automotive industry and actually buy American. Our auto industry supports nearly 8 million U.S. jobs and is expected to hire as many as 34,000 more workers over the next five years -- led by Ford and GM.

But while some consumers still think Japanese cars are as American-made as American cars are, others don't buy American because they think our vehicles are still poorer in quality. Consider this: Since 2010, Toyota and Honda have the most recalls of any automaker. Moreover, Toyota, previously known for its industry-leading quality, has more recalls than the No. 2 and 3 spots combined, or GM tripled.

Ford and GM aren't the same two companies that pumped out terrible vehicles and had management that ran themselves into the ground. Both are producing quality and, most importantly, American-made vehicles.

Maybe it's time to give Detroit a second chance.

And he didn't even mention the much lower pay and temporary worker status the foreign transplants ushered in.

cool.gif

Nothing else to say....

So alot of the crummy Korean GM rebadges have done R&D at GM Detroit? Where do the sales and profits of those cars go if someone buys a pos aveo?

Why does a car like the Aveo , a total piece of [censored] have a Chevy logo. I park my Silverado next to one of these things and its just gross what cars Chevy have in their lineup. Why would they represent their company with that car? Anyone seen a Daewoo, why does not the Aveo have the pos diaper logo.

lol

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
So alot of the crummy Korean GM rebadges have done R&D at GM Detroit? Where do the sales and profits of those cars go if someone buys a pos aveo?

Why does a car like the Aveo , a total piece of [censored] have a Chevy logo. I park my Silverado next to one of these things and its just gross what cars Chevy have in their lineup. Why would they represent their company with that car? Anyone seen a Daewoo, why does not the Aveo have the pos diaper logo.

lol

Nobody cares about the aveo, and noone that I know will argue that it isn't an awful car. But the point is it is replaced by the very American Sonic, which IS US built.

This whole argument is stupid, the big 3 or is it 2 since one is owned by Fiat? Anyway I digress almost all auto manufacturers today are global and engines, parts, designers, engineers, etc are all shared on a global process. Shoot Ford didn't invent it but they were one of the first to make it work profitably.

Oh and that Sonic, it was designed in Korea, engines are made in Mexico and the majority of the parts are shipped from Korea to the Orion Township assembly plant in suburban Detroit.

You know one thing that is never mentioned is steel. Pretty big content on any car. Is a Camry still American if the steel used to make it comes from Nippon Steel?

As long the trucks are built in the USA (or Canada) then nothing wrong. I have a slight beef with Hencho en Mexico parts on my F250 and Made in US parts on my Toyota.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
You know one thing that is never mentioned is steel. Pretty big content on any car. Is a Camry still American if the steel used to make it comes from Nippon Steel?

The foreigner makers tend to buy from fellow foreigned owned suppliers just like they do in Japan. The people that claim all cars are "global" ignore anything and everything that demonstrate that it's not that simple. You can tell them that the Big 3 are responsible 2X or 3x as many jobs and better ones in the US and all you hear back is "global" and they trot out a cherry-picked example of how an American brand car is globally sourced.

What's more American, scrapping and replacing a car at 100k (to provide jobs making its replacement) or driving one into the ground, maybe or maybe not hiring a mechanic? Assume the most American branded parts are used for repairs.

What if one finances a new car, borrowing money from a Chinese bank?
36.gif

If you are going to buy a new car anyway, be American and buy a 'vette according to this article. But seriously If you are not buying a new car then it's mostly irrelevent. I would never knowingly take out a car loan from a foreign bank.

I save what the payment would be and buy the car outright. Therefore no Chinese bank. I'm the type who won't buy an import either. I get good service from my domestics but a lot of import owners can't accept that and still think their imports are better. Imports are not better. They just cost more to fix when they break.

Not a single import in our stable, both fleet and personal. I am not totally anti import, but I am totally in favor of supporting my American workers as much as possible.

The quality "gap" ain't what it used to be, the American mfgrs have made huge strides. each year brings better and better cars to the market.

The foreign brands only built in this country because they had to,to duck import quotas and tariffs.Before the late 80s/early 90s it was a miracle to see VW building in America or a Honda plant in Marysville Ohio.VW wanted to come in back in the 50s and even bought land...but never did.So,it wasnt patriotism or "doing the right thing" that led to them all to build here,it was political and monetary pressures.Dont kid yourself,they wouldnt be here if they didnt have to be.

Quote:
yet consider that GM alone buys as many U.S. parts as Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi, and all other Japanese automakers combined.

But do they also buy as many Chinese, Mexican and Indian parts?
wink.gif

I agree with using the AALA label because it is at least consistent. I'd love to see better country of origin labeling on everything, but how far do you take it? Shall we get all the way down to the solder, contacts and potting in the sensors, or the ink for the label?

So the big 3 look better if you consider factors other than where the vehicle and its parts made when considering "the most american made vehicles"?

If Ford, GM, and Chrysler would simply build in the U.S. the vehicles they sell in the U.S., this entire argument would be moot. Perhaps the new slogan should be "Build American, Buy American". It looks to me like they want to exploit cheap foreign labor then wrap themselves in the flag when they try to sell their imported stuff in competition with actual american made vehicles.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
So the big 3 look better if you consider factors other than where the vehicle and its parts made when considering "the most american made vehicles"?

If Ford, GM, and Chrysler would simply build in the U.S. the vehicles they sell in the U.S., this entire argument would be moot. Perhaps the new slogan should be "Build American, Buy American". It looks to me like they want to exploit cheap foreign labor then wrap themselves in the flag when they try to sell their imported stuff in competition with actual american made vehicles.

Wasn't the most American car (the car with the most American content) assembled in Canada? (Crown Vic)

I don't care what the brand name is or if it is assembled using foreign parts/materials. If the finished product has to cross a border to get to the showroom, it's imported. If it doesn't, it's domestic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back