GM Back In Top Sales Spot

Another thing I'd like to add, and I know GM has had a rough few years, but I personally know of about 5 folks who bought new GMs within the past 6-mo to 1-yr who've had no problems and generally are enjoying their vehicles.

Meanwhile friends who have Fords, and my PowerBoost experience... is GM getting it together?

Imagine that! They are one of the few automotive manufacturers who have new cars on the lots.
We shopped 4WD Tahoe’s at a large volume dealer in one of the largest markets (Houston) and they had one new 2WD and 1 used 4WD we did not like. They decided to release one 4WD that somebody else was still struggling to get a loan for …
We drove that one home …

DD276C3B-2090-4C44-9FD6-903B25FA9207.jpeg
2B842785-4806-4CC3-B071-307677695E3F.jpeg

Not surprising. They finally have an engineer CEO again who listens to other engineers.

There was a good 30-40 year stretch of CEOs who cared little about quality and buried their head in the sand in response to increasing competition from the Japanese and Germany manufacturers.

Last edited:
I see quite a few new full size chevy/cadillac SUV's at the ski hill parking lots these days, and the pickups sell as fast as they can get them at the local dealer. I'm no fan of their small and midsize SUV's which by the prices and spec's seem totally uncompetitive to me, but they must be selling too. My buddy ordered a new Camaro as well, but they are pretty low volume and rare. He wanted a track ready V8 and manual before they aren't sold anymore.

We shopped 4WD Tahoe’s at a large volume dealer in one of the largest markets (Houston) and they had one new 2WD and 1 used 4WD we did not like. They decided to release one 4WD that somebody else was still struggling to get a loan for …
We drove that one home …

View attachment 133945View attachment 133946
I really like the clean lines of this Tahoe. I can’t stand a lot of the newer designs with lots of shap angular and flares that seemingly have no functional purpose. Heck, everything new looks like a **** Nissan of some type. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve looked around a little bit, just to see what’s out there. If I were to replace our VW Tiguan, the Chevy Traverse is on the short list. I’ve never owned a GM product however, I’m liking what I see in the Traverse. A top feature is the 8” touchscreen. I despise those large touchscreens protruding from the dashboard.

I definitely think that GM is now building quality vehicles, but the only GM cars that I'd consider owning are the Camaro ZL1 and the C8.

to achieve 'tops' by change in 2.5% range seems slight. Does this mean we're in a good economy?
Where do the other merican's sit? ("big 3", can we even count the 3rd as it's 51% owner is Italian?)

Not surprising. They finally have an engineer CEO again who listens to other engineers.

There was a good 30-40 year stretch of CEOs who cared little about quality and buried their head in the sand in response to increasing competition from the Japanese and Germany manufacturers.
Na, a little late for the American auto makers but finally for the last decade or two the playing field has been a bit more level.

For 30 years or so the American CEOs were trying to stop their car companies from closing down, not all succeeded but they tried.
Americans start shopping price, features and reliability that was coming to our shores from Asia in droves and as an American company they could not compete against cheap overseas labor compared to American Union labor, PLUS incredible favorable trade status given to Japan on every product they produced to help them turn their World War Two industries into peacetime consumables.

was some of that due to efforts to clean up industry? I think the industrialists said "Get it off shore" as another $ savings effort (along w/lower labor/no unions) rather than innovate for clean air/H2O etc. I wish they took the long view rather than 1/4ly (as Japan said they were gunna do 50 yrs ago). I think it would have been better for the country & merican industry.
Sorry, I think I just changed OP's "GM story" but may B not, if they are number one now? We have the largest auto buying pop in world, no? Is GM on top world-wide (as well) or just here?

I’ve looked around a little bit, just to see what’s out there. If I were to replace our VW Tiguan, the Chevy Traverse is on the short list. I’ve never owned a GM product however, I’m liking what I see in the Traverse. A top feature is the 8” touchscreen. I despise those large touchscreens protruding from the dashboard.
We have a now older Traverse, only 55k or so miles on it. Bought it used during the height of the pandemic in March/April of 2020, was like new with less than 25k miles, GM certified, something like a 100k powertrain ect ect warranty.
Anyway Im shocked at its performance, our choices were more limited to a Jeep or Chevy type product and a couple overseas models as I require a factory tow package for our Chaparral 19 foot boat. Factory tow packages are not as easy to find but it certainly helps narrow down choices.
We almost bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee from Carvana, it was delivered to our house but I returned it 3 days later after finding factory paint defects.
I always liked GM products for one main thing though, the darn engines to me are bullet proof. My family and I have owned so many brands of vehicles over my lifetime and even back in the older days a GM car might fall apart with the hardware, door panels ect... but the engines always just ran. I cant say this about some Hondas I have owned or Suburu or Nissan.

Anyway the Traverse has exceed my expectations in every way, I also liked my last vehicle for a boat and that was a Durango with a V8 and that too was bullet proof until it got to around 150k. Body was still great but engine started having issues and then was time to call it quits for me.

The Traverse with the factory tow package, Im not sure if they all handle the same without it but this truck is rock solid. Pulls our boat no issues and when not towing you can easily and effortlessly travel at 95 MPH ( I haven't tested higher) without a thought, just a well controlled super smooth QUIET ride and I had the factory upgraded larger 20 inch tires and rims which might make the ride a tad more firm.
IN case you advent noticed. Im impressed with the vehicle. Think its in a class by itself (considering the price) and would not hesitate to get another. Oh... and so far, it hasn't needed a repair, everything works and there are quite a bit of options. I love remote starting it in cold weather, I get in the cabin and the heated seats are nice and toasty as the vehicle sensed the cold weather ect ect... I know others do this, but my sons BMW doesnt! *LOL* Bluetooth ect all work effortlessly and nothing falling apart yet.

BTW, the OP Tahoe is a whole other class above the Traverse but as a point I tend to make in here American roads and interstates are unique in the world and these large vehicles like the Tahoe and Traverse are made for American roads. They are unique and why I discount some EV models which we know what brand as being small 4 door sedans, compact cars, which is fine for local driving but man nothing beats a nice large SUV on American roads, sorry but to me that is American living. Some of these matchbox cars cost the same amount of money and more and again, we all have our preferences, I get it, just explaining myself.
That Tahoe is for American roads and way of life as far as I am concerned and it's beautiful.

Last edited:
Back