GM Back In Top Sales Spot

Mostly agree about GM putting out good vehicles, but they're also heavily into nickle-and-diming and cost cutting. For example, their trucks lost some basic features like sunglasses holders and movable pedals, and believe it or not most of their 4x4's don't even come with a low speed transfer case anymore. You need the z71 or GMC equivalent etc to get the 4 low. That's unforgivable in a 4x4 truck.
The 2 speed T-Case in an option, standard with the Z71s and AT4s. The max-towing package on the 1500s have a lower diff ratio and the transfer case option is not available.
With the 10 speed, do you need the 4X4 low? I think what is needed is a total traction control delete switch.

The 2 speed T-Case in an option, standard with the Z71s and AT4s. The max-towing package on the 1500s have a lower diff ratio and the transfer case option is not available.
With the 10 speed, do you need the 4X low? I think what is needed is a total traction control delete switch.
Which as a long term GM 4WD buyer - and someone who currently owns both - it’s a good decision - just like the way they mix various grades of steel and aluminum without the fanfare …
The 4WD auto is excellent in the right conditions …

With the 10 speed, do you need the 4X4 low? I think what is needed is a total traction control delete switch.

It wasn't an option in the truck I was looking at (possibly the 2.7 turbo, can't remember it was few years ago). 4 low is pretty much one of the differentiators of 4x4. Without it you just have a glorified AWD system. (I'd probably have much less of a problem if they'd just call it something different like AWD; 4x4 has meaning to those who need it. But then they'd take a hit in the market as their trucks would (rightfully) appear less capable than other 4x4s from Ford/Ram/Tundra).

The 10 speed is not geared particularly low. IIRC the gears are used to have low spread between ratios, not to boost the extremes of gear 1 and 10.

Also, 4 low is still an option with the max tow if you get the upper trim (again, GM playing games, it's not a technical reason). I believe Tim E (pickup truck + suv talk on YT) has a max tow diesel with 4 low.

Which as a long term GM 4WD buyer - and someone who currently owns both - it’s a good decision - just like the way they mix various grades of steel and aluminum without the fanfare …
The 4WD auto is excellent in the right conditions …

4 auto doesn't exclude 4 low. My truck has both 4 low and auto. I don't see what mixed grades of steel has to do with this, 4x4 is a "whole feature", why try to remove bits of it? It's like making a tailgate an option on your bed because we all know most truck buyers just run around carrying air anyway. If you need a bed, you probably need the tailgate as well.

Last edited:
It wasn't an option in the truck I was looking at (possibly the 2.7 turbo, can't remember it was few years ago). 4 low is pretty much one of the differentiators of 4x4. Without it you just have a glorified AWD system.

The 10 speed is not geared particularly low. IIRC the gears are used to have low spread between ratios, not to boost the extremes of gear 1 and 10.

4 auto doesn't exclude 4 low. My truck has both 4 low and auto. I don't see what mixed grades of steel has to do with this, 4x4 is a "whole feature", why try to remove bits of it? It's like making a tailgate an option on your bed because we all know most truck buyers just run around carrying air anyway. If you need a bed, you probably need the tailgate as well.
Owned them since the 80’s … Mostly trucks until 2020 … You won’t teach me anything about them …

Owned them since the 80’s … Mostly trucks until 2020 … You won’t teach me anything about them …

This discussion isn't about you or me, it's about not giving GM a pass on their cost cutting.

It wasn't an option in the truck I was looking at (possibly the 2.7 turbo, can't remember it was few years ago). 4 low is pretty much one of the differentiators of 4x4. Without it you just have a glorified AWD system. (I'd probably have much less of a problem if they'd just call it something different like AWD; 4x4 has meaning to those who need it. But then they'd take a hit in the market as their trucks would (rightfully) appear less capable than other 4x4s from Ford/Ram/Tundra).

Also, 4 low is still an option with the max tow if you get the upper trim (again, GM playing games, it's not a technical reason). I believe Tim E (pickup truck + suv talk on YT) has a max tow diesel with 4 low.

It looks like you're right. As far as I can tell in the "build 'n price" you cannae get the 2 speed T-Case with the 2.7L turbo.

I definitely think that GM is now building quality vehicles, but the only GM cars that I'd consider owning are the Camaro ZL1 and the C8.

I agree with ZL1, but C8 has an absolute terrible interior.

I was shocked GM didn’t decide to copy a great dash like 911 or BMW M cars, simple and good design.

was some of that due to efforts to clean up industry? I think the industrialists said "Get it off shore" as another $ savings effort (along w/lower labor/no unions) rather than innovate for clean air/H2O etc. I wish they took the long view rather than 1/4ly (as Japan said they were gunna do 50 yrs ago). I think it would have been better for the country & merican industry.
Sorry, I think I just changed OP's "GM story" but may B not, if they are number one now? We have the largest auto buying pop in world, no? Is GM on top world-wide (as well) or just here?
Hope this helps clarify, I read your other post too, then went back and read the OP. I can see the article title being misinterpreted.
Hope this clears that up. The way it's worded I see it can be read that it is about the nationality of the company, not so though.

To put it another way GM sold more cars in the USA than any other car manufacturer in the world.
It's been this way for 90 (NINTY) years that GM sold more vehicles in the USA except for the year, 2021 when Toyota took over top spot.
So the article just states that GM is again the top USA seller of cars and trucks.

Honestly I think everyone could agree, this very well could have been a covid effect, after all they had a 90 year track record at the top until covid came along.

China by far has the top auto buying population in the world.

The top three auto makers in the world at 1. Toyota, 2. Volkswagen, 3. Hyundai

If you live in one of the one countries though, in my opinion if you have the highway system to support a big, bold, serious, comfortable bruising machine and can afford it overseas the big GM vehicles are the head turners. The USA is unique with our interstate system and the American income level supports these types of vehicles. When you compared Toyota, Volkswagen and Hyundai offerings to someone who wants a big bold cruiser, I dont know, call me crazy but the 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate and the likes are hard to beat.

Last edited:
Its was really sad to see this once great institution run to Mexico with another billion dollars of post bankruptcy money after all America has done for them.

They just borrowed 2.5B from the department of energy for a battery factory - Taxpayer dollars that then run away to Mexico to go into Mexican made GM autos.

Then of course they get to apply for the credits of an " American Manufacturer".

The level of hypocrisy is other worldly - they avoiding paying Americans a fair wage all the while enjoying massive subsidies from section 179 that make the majority of sales possible of vehicles above 6K GVWR.

I chose and love our Suburban and Cadillac, but have a really hard time supporting this company going forward with behavior like this.

Last edited:
to achieve 'tops' by change in 2.5% range seems slight. Does this mean we're in a good economy?
Where do the other merican's sit? ("big 3", can we even count the 3rd as it's 51% owner is Italian?)

For many we have been in a good economy despite inflation.

Worth noting that there have been a few times that auto production stayed high during a recession, a recession of the general economy doesn’t guarantee lower production or prices on cars.

(But usually it does)

GM is also making a grave mistake with the new "optional" requirement to buy an OnStar subscription with vehicle purchase...that is going to come back to bite them.

I have mixed feelings about Onstar but in your defense, it likely costs GM $9.99 a vehicle for the actual onstar hardware being the 5g equivalent of a flip phone with no screen.

The question becomes are they on the hook for licensing fees even when the unit isn’t in use?

Might be a homelink scenario where the technology holders camp on the tech and demand massive royalties (despite the tech being 30 years old)

Take it and run, did they donate or return thousands of dollars in free taxpayer money known as "stimulus checks:? (if they qualified which the majority did) Answer: No

I donated all of my stimulus checks as I didn’t need it.
Too bad the change in law makes it illegal for me to itemize, got to pay tax on money I donated

Its was really sad to see this once

Sadly since the 1980’s every large business requires massive handouts, the idea of the self made man is gone.

Every strip mall, every factory, every oil company is where it is due to handouts
In my area big apartment complexes got built with free money.

Even Amazon collects more government money than any other non-military business .

As a society it would take massive efforts outside the norms to even begin to change this.
Heck it’s to the point it’s a non-partisan issue , Wisconsin paid big money stripping away peoples land and water rights for a Chinese big screen company to swoop in and camp on the goodies.
Lots of multigenerational farms taken away.
The “political” fallout from this was minimal, perhaps even those responsible benefited .

Last edited:
Its was really sad to see this once great institution run to Mexico with another billion dollars of post bankruptcy money after all America has done for them.
They just borrowed 2.5B from the department of energy for a battery factory - Taxpayer dollars that then run away to Mexico to go into Mexican made GM autos.
I know this stuff drives you crazy and I dont comment on it anymore but found a way to say something without going back and forth all day *LOL*
I HATE all government handouts. But you know what? The voters dont care so like everyone says, if it's available and can be done, so be it.

Take it and run, just like the handouts for EVs now, stupid crazy and stimulus checks during covid, stupid crazy and even if some agree with the GM loan thing, did they donate or return thousands of dollars in free taxpayer money known as "stimulus checks:? (if they qualified which the majority did) Answer: No

Even the EV handouts, Tesla was a huge beneficiary at one time, yet, with all their profits and stuff they did not pay $1 in USA corporate taxes for the year 2021 by claiming all their profit came from overseas.
What I am saying, its all a game and it the people let it happen, then "take the money and run" (are you old enough to remember that song? I am!
I wont comment further because politics is not allowed in here. But companies from all over the globe get USA tax taxpayer money, GM no different from anyone else and the example you site is a loan that will be paid back and the only reason it can be justified as it is a government agenda to covert gasoline vehicles to EVs. Meaning it is forced on car companies. A number of states have actually set laws with a ban on the sale of gasoline vehicles in the future. Imagine that, adults cant decide on their own, again.

Last edited:
Love Steve Miller.

I'm more affected than most by offshoring because I run of the few truly American companies left in the electronics business.

Any given companies liability in a single year has many factors to weigh and it means little.

A companies decision to take the manufacturing investment out of country is lasting one that removes money from our country for the duration of the plants life. In the case of GM - money that should by all rights be forced to stay here.

I abhor being told what to do, what to buy - we're very aligned here.

Even the EV handouts, Tesla was a huge beneficiary at one time, yet, with all their profits and stuff they did not pay $1 in USA corporate taxes for the year 2021 by claiming all their profit came from overseas.
That defies common sense, but it does not defy the US tax code.
US operations tax reporting a common practice for US multinational corporations: structuring their operations so that overseas subsidiaries are the ones reporting income, leaving the US operation to have little or no tax liability.

Did you know Musk paid $11B in 2021 Federal Income Tax?

Hope this helps clarify, ........................................I dont know, call me crazy but the 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Ultimate and the likes are hard to beat.
yes it does and ford has same record (generally - w/its F series p/u. America's bestselling truck for 46 consecutive years and best selling vehicle for 41 years world wide. It all gets a lill confusing for me when first read ("But...but... I know xxx.").
8^ 0
Great thread getting better. (Soon 2B shut dwn by Admin?).

Last edited:
Back