First oil filter you ever bought

It was a Fram for my '70 Corolla. Per Fram's online application guide, it would have been a PH2825. The oil was almost certainly Quaker State 10W-30 conventional.

Later on I bought a lot of Fram PH30 filters for my Chevys.

Fram PH8A for my father's '79 Mercury Zephyr station wagon. Tightened it way too much and the mechanic next door had to remove it with screwdrivers to loosen the baseplate from the engine for the next change. Live and learn at 13 years old.

Always Fram filters cause that's what everyone used on their vehicles with Havoline 10-30 oil.Then about 1980 our local mechanic was telling me about how Castol oil was engineered for smaller cars and I was sold.Bought me a set of heavt duty ramps and the rest is history.Used to scout sales inserts and at one time could get Castrol Oil at 99 cents a quart twenty years ago.So much for that.Now the synthetic oil in the five quart container is the same price as conventional oil still try to stick with Castrol oil.

All I can remember was Pur-O-Lator back then. But I didnt pay much attention.
Did SEARS have a brand?

Remember when you did a lot of shopping at Sears-Roebuck?

Many Chevy's I serviced in the 70's still had Canisters - likely where the "double-gasket" folklore started.

When I started driving in 1998 I for whatever reason always decided to buy Bosch oil filters and Castrol GTX for my car from my local Autozone. Back ten all they offered were Fram, Mobil 1, Purolator, and a few others like STP. I remember Bosch having a nice looking depiction of their filters cut open, that and their low price was what probably won me over.

I used Bosch exclusively until 2006 when I got a vehicle that needed an oil filter that was hard to find in my area, literally I could either buy from the dealership or one parts store carried WIX that made a filter for that engine. So from 2006 to 2018 I was a WIX guy, since 2018 I have been a Fram Ultra/Titanium guy.

I believe it was a Hastings depth-type spin-on (probably a T225?) for my parents' 1972 Chevy Nova 250 straight six around 1983 or so. Those were interesting filters. I would like to see how well those worked compared to a standard paper element spin on filter.

Andrew S.
Towards the end of the Hastings depth type production, I was at a filter workshop put on by a tech rep from Purolator. He explained their testing found that the cotton-like bulk fiber media in the Hastings filter could allow for oil to find a path of least resistance, allowing the oil to pass through virtually unfiltered. Further, that pleated paper media wouldn't normally allow that to happen.

I don't specifically remember the first filter I bought, but Napa was the only parts store for twenty miles. I do remember buying Lee, STP, and Kmart branded filters 40 years ago.

The first one I held as a kid was an old ACDelco. The first one I bought when I was a curious kid allowed to change the oil was a Fram PH3682.

Fram because that used to be all I used and all that was available from Walmart besides their brand which I don’t care for. I won’t ever buy a Fram again ever since a bunch of people reported them rusting on the inside a few years ago which I verified to be true so no more of them for me.

First filter I bought was a Quaker State (Purolator made) from Canadian Tire about 15 years ago for a 1987 Volkswagen Fox. I bought the Quaker State Synthetic that came in those clear bottles and figured I should get the same brand oil filter. That was my first oil/oil filter change. The car went into storage several months later and then to the junkyard a few years ago with that oil and filter still on the car.

I’m guessing it was a Fram orange can for my 1994 Chevy K1500. I’ve bought more filters over the years than most would in a lifetime. We own a fleet of farm and earth moving equipment and I service industrial equipment on the side.

When I first started changing oil, I would buy Penske brand oil filters from Kmart. I believe they were made by Wix.... bright yellow paint on the can and I believe they were $1.79 a pop!

Fram cause I didn’t know any better. Nah jk I’m not knocking fram they make ok filters. You just couldn’t get me to buy or use a fram now that I do know.

Fram cause I didn’t know any better. Nah jk I’m not knocking fram they make ok filters. You just couldn’t get me to buy or use a fram now that I do know.
That’s right, credo stuff … you are not allowed to criticize the orange can … thou shall buy gold can anyway !

Back