SUPER TECH 9688 CUT OPEN

That filter looks good to me..... I’d use these for reasonable OCI’s on my Hyundai.
Doesn’t Honda spec the 7317? I’m thinking that the 7317, 6607 and 9688 would all work for Honda’s, Hyundai’s and even Mazda’s (space permitting).

That filter looks good to me..... I’d use these for reasonable OCI’s on my Hyundai.
Doesn’t Honda spec the 7317? I’m thinking that the 7317, 6607 and 9688 would all work for Honda’s, Hyundai’s and even Mazda’s (space permitting).
J series call for the 7317 I believe, at least that's in the manual for my model. As you may know supertech doesn't make a 7317, only 6607 and 9688. I opted for the bigger 9688.

J series call for the 7317 I believe, at least that's in the manual for my model. As you may know supertech doesn't make a 7317, only 6607 and 9688. I opted for the bigger 9688.
I'd do the same (run the 9688). When I had a 2001 Accord it spec'd the 3593 which I also used in my 1992 Sonata and 1986 Excel...I think I also used that size (3593) in my 1989 Mazda 626 and 1982 Mazda GLC....this is what leads me to the belief that Hyundai, Honda and Mazda can all use the same filter (as long as the threads match).

.....this is what leads me to the belief that Hyundai, Honda and Mazda can all use the same filter (as long as the threads match).
Don't know about Mazda, but since ~2008 many Hondas now have engine block restrictions which prevent use of the larger diameter 9688/3593a application. Ime with newer Nissan Rogue, it has a restriction ring preventing use of the wider filter.

The narrower longer 7317 applications or shorty 6607 would fit them all.

Don't know about Mazda, but since ~2008 many Hondas now have engine block restrictions which prevent use of the larger diameter 9688/3593a application. Ime with newer Nissan Rogue, it has a restriction ring preventing use of the wider filter.

The narrower longer 7317 applications or shorty 6607 would fit them all.
Gotcha Sayjac...I didn't know such 'restriction rings' existed. I have used 7317, 9688 and 3593 on various Hyundai's (and Kia's) in the family and I've thought of using a 'genuine' Hyundai filter (because I already have them) on my s-I-l's Mazda CX-5 but haven't done it yet. I'd rather 'experiment' on my own vehicles even though I'm virtually certain it would work.

My Hyundai 2.0T gets these regularly. Never had an issue. Nice solid construction imo.

Looks great, thanks Adam.

ST9688 vs. Ultra XG9688 for 5,000 or less mile OCI ?
*Also , does ST9688 have anti-drain back valve ?

Last edited:
ST9688 vs. Ultra XG9688 for 5,000 or less mile OCI ?
Either will work for ~5k oci. The XG/9688 (fram) uses that application as separate for Hyun/Kia from same size 3593a applications. For 5k oci, roi better for ST. XG capable of significantly longer.
.....*Also , does ST9688 have anti-drain back valve ?
Pictured in OP, fifth pic from left top row. Nitrile.

I think nitrile, silicone, and peanut butter all have something in common: Some are better than others. I refuse to accept the premise that the worst silicone is better than the best nitrile. We use nitrile for some serious industrial applications with big money on the line.
Every time I pull a PF63e it drains for a while and a quart of oil needed …Those shiny ADBV’s are pristine and pliable …
… both are fine if the manufacturer has done their jobs.

Last edited:
ST/Champ are a good quality filter. People can't get past the cheap vs inexpensive debate and would droll over them if they had to pay $7/ea thinking it "must be good". But, since they run anywhere from $1.30 (RA), $1.99 (RK), $2.97 (WM) they're deemed "okay for very short oci" is what I was told in another post on here. LOL. This is equal to a Fram PH9688, unless your application requires a silicon ADBV, in which case I agree with the previous post that a silicon ADBV of poor quality may not even be as good as a quality nitrile one, and it can be had for $2 less. Heck yea OP, I'd keep using them too!

My Hyundai 2.0T gets these regularly. Never had an issue. Nice solid construction imo.

Looks great, thanks Adam.
The Sonata 2.0L Turbo DI engine is a higher horse power / higher performance engine ... If you have no issues - then running one on my pedestrian Sonata 2.4L (non - turbo) engine for 4,000 mile OCI's should be fine .

When it comes to the current Champ made Super Tech line, not all ST are the same construction as topic ST9688, ecore with metal endcaps and separate poppet type bypass. Some still have the original ecore design, with combo valve. I consider the the topic superior to the latter, especially because of separate poppet type bypass. And because it's the design used in Champ made ACDelco ecore OFs spec for GM vehicles. Recently pointed out in another thread, the smallest 6607 (and 4967) have gone to topic design. But since they were always Champ classic metal design, no ecore, personally don't see that as an improvement. Mostly a toss up, imo.

As for nitrile adbv information, merely provided as complete information to a query. Since broached, 'generally speaking', silicone is the superior material for adbv. As evidence, it's why the OF manufactures use silicone in thier upper tier/extended oci filters. While there 'may' be some nitrile that are equivalent to silicone as posited, until there's some science based objective test(s) (not likely) showing which is which, following the 'generally speaking' observation a good guide imo. 'Generally speaking' nitrile fine for ~5k mile oci, which reading here seems to be a very common oci. Super Tech fits that profile.

Specifically for topic ST9688 application, ~$3 a decent everyday value if looking for an OF this tier.

Last edited:
When it comes to the current Champ made Super Tech line, not all ST are the same construction as topic ST9688, ecore with metal endcaps and separate poppet type bypass. Some still have the original ecore design, with combo valve. I consider the the topic superior to the latter, especially because of separate poppet type bypass. And because it's the design used in Champ made ACDelco ecore OFs spec for GM vehicles. Recently pointed out in another thread, the smallest 6607 (and 4967) have gone to topic design. But since they were always Champ classic metal design, no ecore, personally don't see that as an improvement. Mostly a toss up, imo.

As for nitrile adbv information, merely provided as complete information to a query. Since broached, 'generally speaking', silicone is the superior material for adbv. As evidence, it's why the OF manufactures use silicone in thier upper tier/extended oci filters. While there 'may' be some nitrile that are equivalent to silicone as posited, until there's some science based objective test(s) (not likely) showing which is which, following the 'generally speaking' observation a good guide imo. 'Generally speaking' nitrile fine for ~5k mile oci, which reading here seems to be a very common oci. Super Tech fits that profile.

Specifically for topic ST9688 application, ~$3 a decent everyday value if looking for an OF this tier.
*Curious if the topic ST9688 also has a more robust can thickness / design to handle potential random , increased pressure spikes of certain DI engines (i.e. Hyundai) ? As previous threads here indicated the Fram Ultra #9688 was re-designed for this reason (along with a price increase close to $11.00 ea. now) .

OEM Hyundai/Kia have silicone ADV.
Have had them for at least a decade.

While I find a silicone ADV a nice touch, it is not a must have for most of my vehicles.

I prefer one on my sisters Santa Fe that does 7500+ mile intervals and on my Goldwing (Just makes me feel better having one on the bike).
All others, I can take it or leave it since they are 5,000 mile or less filters.

*I opened up a ST 9688 box to see the filter first hand and my only immediate visual concern was the beveled gasket surface making me wonder if it might leak ? Even the bottom line Fram PH 9688 has a raised gasket with a flat surface .

Back