Drive Thru - Fast Food Rant

Another fast food rant..........

Chrysler Pacifica van pulls in and proceeds to order most of the menu items for a solid 4-5 minutes. I heard, "would that be all for your order today mam?" probably about 5 times. Keep in mind once you enter the drive thru there is a large curb so leaving your place in line and abandoning your order is not possible.

I ordered my 3 items and then waited for the kitchen to prepare everything on the menu and feed it out the window into the van in front of me. When I pulled in there was 4 cars in line behind me and when I finally got my food there was more than 10 cars in line wrapping around the building.

After she got her bags of food, she pulled back into a parking spot to eat it.

Thoughts?

I don't use drive-thru anywhere, for more than 10 years. I prefer to go inside and either eat or take my food out. Over time, I have come out ahead. I have been burned by longer wait times very few times.

As an after thought, I have seen where they ask that person go to a designated parking place while they fill that order, and can continue to service the customers behind the large order.

Last edited:
IMG_0226.gif

What burns my arse is the extreme car spacing at drive thru's. You have cars lined up out in the street and buffoons leaving a space or two between them so self absorbed they don't care.
I keep as tight as possible and am aware of all the vehicles around me and if a person can order at the sign or not. I never see anyone else even care.

Chrysler Pacifica van pulls in and proceeds to order most of the menu items for a solid 4-5 minutes. I heard, "would that be all for your order today mam?" probably about 5 times. Keep in mind once you enter the drive thru there is a large curb so leaving your place in line and abandoning your order is not possible.

I ordered my 3 items and then waited for the kitchen to prepare everything on the menu and feed it out the window into the van in front of me. When I pulled in there was 4 cars in line behind me and when I finally got my food there was more than 10 cars in line wrapping around the building.

Thoughts?

While this is super annoying on the surface she probably has a couple kids strapped into car seats and going inside is a major hassle. It definitely does offload some of that burden onto others doing it the way she did though, but I can't really think of any middle ground option. If the kids in the back are older (say 7+) then agree that she should go inside.

Agreed. No more drive-thru for me, been burned so many times now and every once in awhile, I'll try it again and get burned again.

This last time, waited 15 mins to get to the pay window and the gal says: "Would you mind pulling your vehicle around the side and I'll bring your order out to you."

I proceed with payment and pull into the direct area. Another 10 mins goes by.... (Almost 30 mins since pulling into the place.) I wait another minute, exit the car and head into the building only to be greeted by a counter person that asks: "Ready to order?"

I stop myself and politely point to the lady wearing the headset at the drive-up widow. She took my order 25mins ago and told me to pull in front. I've been waiting ever since. (Confused look on the clerks face).

He walks over to her and points back at me. She turns around and shrugs her shoulders and he comes back: "What did you order Sir?"

Really?? I tell him and he begrudgingly goes and builds the order and then hands me the bag... "Sorry bout that."....

I swore from that day on.... NO more! Here's the other thing... "They" usually mess-up an order or don't include napkins, spoons/forks... It really goes south when you have to pull around and walk-in to get those because there are 20-cars in line. (Yup, should always check order and get these at the window...my fault)

The whole concept is biased toward the drive-thru itself. Walk-ins are secondary to the drive-thru assembly line. I see it all the time. Sometimes going into the place to order takes longer than the drive-thru! ??? Okay... rant over... Good thing I don't make a habit of eating "fast food"... That term does not exist in the real world.

I don't use drive-thru anywhere, for more than 10 years. I prefer to go inside and either eat or take my food out. Over time, I have come out ahead. I have been burned by longer wait times very few times.

As an after thought, I have seen where they ask that person go to a designated parking place while they fill that order, and can continue to service the customers behind the large order.
A feel your pain... it's not even funny anymore.

I'm always amazed that once upon a time, drive throughs were relatively quick. Now, you can have 2 drive though lanes at McDonald's, but you still have to wait 20 minutes to get up to the intercom, you hear "I'll be right with you", wait a minute or more before you can place your order, wait 5 more minutes to get up to the window to pay, and they tell you to pull up to to the waiting line so you can wait for them to bring out your 1 large coffee.

I like to eat inside because when I eat fries I have to have loads of ketchup and possibly mayo combined for a dipping sauce. I won't go to places that have the tear open ketchup's. I do not like to eat while driving either. Culver's is my favorite.

Thoughts?
Well she was driving a Chrysler so.... :ROFLMAO:

At our local Chik-Fil-A they have several designated parking spots that they direct customers to after thet realize they’ve screwed up drive thru orders. They call them “ Executive Spots”. The times I’ve been sent over there I won’t let the delivery person leave until I check my order. Most of the time something is left out. I quit going there….

At our local Chik-Fil-A they have several designated parking spots that they direct customers to after thet realize they’ve screwed up drive thru orders. They call them “ Executive Spots”. The times I’ve been sent over there I won’t let the delivery person leave until I check my order. Most of the time something is left out. I quit going there….
I must say that Chik Fil A has the drive through down pat...They keep the line moving and you orders are usually correct too..

This is a very interesting discussion. When I started driving about 10 years ago I'd almost never wait more than a few minutes start to finish at pretty much any drive thru. Now, if there are more than a couple cars waiting, I will just go somewhere else, or park my car and order for pick up inside, because wait times are absurd.

Fast food is not just not fast anymore, it's not cheap. While the price difference used to be significant, I've found that I can order food online for pickup on the websites of various local restaurants for a similar price or just a couple dollars more than the fast food, and parking and going inside to grab it is much faster than going to a fast food chain and waiting in the drive thru. And, of course, the quality of food is much better. I will say, if I have to order over the phone, I won't do it - I have social anxiety and hate calling places.

At least, on the positive side, if I'm driving the Volt, and I have time, I am more likely to just sit and wait in the drive thru. After all, I'm not wasting any gas. In the Yukon, I have far less tolerance for sitting there idling for a long time.

Back