Steak n Shakes new self serve model.....3 out of 10

because of the sham labor policies our government has, where Tipped workers only have to be paid $2.13/hr... (Federal minimum, it varies by State, here in OH, it's half the Non-Tipped minimum, which is currently $10.10, so $5.05 for tipped workers. ) BTW, that $2.13/hr rate has been the same since the 90's...

that is if you actually care how your fellow man lives....
And where’s the requirement on your part to tip? Your contract is with that of the restaurateur; so is the hired help’s. They are contracted to provide a service for a set amount of pay, and they agreed to take that risk along with the reward if they were to benefit more than that.

I’m not saying your sentiment is wrong, but I am saying your idea that the waiter’s lack of skills combined with their acceptance of payment terms somehow requires someone else’s divestiture of additional funds rather than what they agreed to at the time of purchase.

Sometimes the most powerful driver of upward mobility is the desire to never work another day in one’s life for minimum wage, whatever that level is. I know because 30 years ago that was me. So I changed my life rather than expecting others to change their lives by “gifting” money for MY benefit. If I wanted that “tip”, I had to earn it! Big difference!

Better chains such as freddies and culvers are eating them alive.

Last few times the service was abysmal, food order incorrect.. and 30min to fix and still get cold food somehow.

because of the sham labor policies our government has, where Tipped workers only have to be paid $2.13/hr... (Federal minimum, it varies by State, here in OH, it's half the Non-Tipped minimum, which is currently $10.10, so $5.05 for tipped workers. ) BTW, that $2.13/hr rate has been the same since the 90's...

that is if you actually care how your fellow man lives....
I do, but I don’t care for those credit card machines pushing even up to 30% tips on post tax prices. Nope, that’s a lot too far.

I do, but I don’t care for those credit card machines pushing even up to 30% tips on post tax prices. Nope, that’s a lot too far.
Yeah....if you ask some places where that started popping up " Oh! that's just coded in the software by default, we don't know how to turn it off"
giphy.gif

my actual response when i read your reply JHZR2, was... something i can't say here... but suffice to say it was along the lines of "Yeah... Fudge those things"

The one that stands out to me is a small chain restaurant, not sure who knows them, BIBIBOP. Love the Food..think Korean Chipotle, but just bowls, no burritos.
they walk down the line with you, putting in the stuff you ask for. then ring you up and hand you the food.
you find your own seat, bus your own table, get your own drink, but the machine pops up asking for a tip...

I could tell you S&S stories that would curl your hair… Apparently it only takes $10K to franchise one, but they all need MASSIVE repairs, they were closed (& some still are) for years with the water & power off. Some of the ones I’ve dealt with are on their 4th or 5th franchisee already-and they have to give HALF THEIR PROFIT to the parent corp. How any of them are open is beyond me!

Back