Drive Thru - Fast Food Rant

No sense in complaining when you make the choice to get in the drive thru. But then again, we do what American's do, gripe and complain. I am just as guilty as everyone else.

The last time was at Burger King 😁

review.jpg

Drive thru service definitely gets priority over dine in customers from what I’ve witnessed. I’ve waited in line at a register for minutes while the staff caters to the drive thru customers.

I remember my dad refused to use the drive thru for any fast food. He used to say “ they will probably mess up something, and you will have to go inside anyway”

If we have to go the fast food route, we normally use their app and order ahead... Its kind of fun to waltz into a stupid busy place, with 20 cars and 20 people inside waiting to order, and just pickup your order and walk out in seconds....
But now that combo's are $15+ each we just don't get them anymore, a roast chicken dinner from a grocery store is half as much for 4.

I can't stand them. I'll do them if that's all that's open, and that was the case a couple of years ago at a lot of places. When my kid was young and sleeping in the back seat maybe I'd use a drive-thru.

The place I don't get is In-N-Out. I'll see some locations where the drive-thru line is 40-50 cars long but there are available parking spaces and a reasonable line inside for takeout. Some people just don't want to get out of their cars. And the thing I really hate is passing cash through a drive-thru window. If it gets dropped it's a real pain, although I've been to some places where they got smart and ask that all money get placed on a tray.

They should ban drive-thru except maybe for those with legitimate handicap and proper plates or hang-tag. Solves "global warming".

The last time was at Burger King 😁

View attachment 152620
I remember when I was a kid when Burger King was viewed as a more-upscale version of McDonald's.... Better food, nicer restaurants, better employees, etc. How they have fallen!

The BK near me has especially awful reviews on Yelp. Lots of mentions of the surly employees, the filthy facilities and the parking lot which now has more gravel than asphalt. My favorite review came from a guy who used the drive thru - they asked him to pull up and they would bring him his food. He waited and waited the usual ten minutes.... Eventually the food was brought to him by the local homeless guy! No mention of whether or not there were any fries missing.

My thought is I can't get that minute of my life back reading this.

Reactions: CKN
I can't stand them. I'll do them if that's all that's open, and that was the case a couple of years ago at a lot of places. When my kid was young and sleeping in the back seat maybe I'd use a drive-thru.

The place I don't get is In-N-Out. I'll see some locations where the drive-thru line is 40-50 cars long but there are available parking spaces and a reasonable line inside for takeout. Some people just don't want to get out of their cars. And the thing I really hate is passing cash through a drive-thru window. If it gets dropped it's a real pain, although I've been to some places where they got smart and ask that all money get placed on a tray.
I don't get In-N-Out either. Most of the time I park across the street and walk-in, and even though it still takes 15mins for a simple order... (They are geared to handle the drive-thru FIRST) I manage to be far ahead of the 46th person waiting in their car. With the cost of gas these days... I just don't get it.

I don't use drive-thru anywhere, for more than 10 years. I prefer to go inside and either eat or take my food out. Over time, I have come out ahead. I have been burned by longer wait times very few times.

As an after thought, I have seen where they ask that person go to a designated parking place while they fill that order, and can continue to service the customers behind the large order.
Agree. I like to walk in and walk out and see which cars I still recognize. Usually it’s quite a few.

That's for another thread. A moot point really because most of the people here are just in line to buy water, fresh fruit and unsweetened juices I am sure.
Usually McDonald’s unsweet tea for me. I rarely go but sometimes it’s just darn convenient when on a long trip.

My gripe isn't about food at all. Young people can't count. My job takes me thru a lot of small towns, one such town were I was for a couple weeks had 3 whole restaurants. I was staying at a local hotel and stopped in, I bought two sandwiches. I was the only customer in the store at the time, with 2 young ladies behind the counter, one made the sandwiches, the other worked the register. I paid with a $20 bill, I was given change as though I had rendered $10. I protested but remained polite and she corrected after casting a questioning glance at her coworker.
The following evening the exact same scenario happened, but the two ladies had reversed roles. This time she shut the door to the cash register after taking my money and giving me HALF my change and when I protested (again) she gave me my correct change, but the look on her face was one of disbelief.
I have now had enough of this, it's not my fault these young ADULTS can't count. I am a product of my history. When I pay for my food, on the RARE occasion when we eat at one of these not-so-fast food places, my wife won't even stand next to me, because I TELL whoever is behind that counter, DON'T TOUCH MY MONEY. Leave it lay right there on the counter. Tell me how much change I get; ONLY when you give me the correct amount (orally) can you TAKE MY MONEY. It is downright shocking how many "deer in the headlights" looks I get from young people. They are frequently speechless, dumbfounded. Was 6th grade REALLY that hard? Rant over.
I suppose your system involving berating strangers and embarrassing your wife in public is easier than paying with debit card.

The only places we eat at with a drive thru is Chick-fa-la and Panera. And most times we dine in. We don’t eat fast food much. I always feel like crap afterwards. I’d rather just fast until I can sit down and eat a proper meal.

Back