Drive Thru - Fast Food Rant

Another fast food rant..........

Chrysler Pacifica van pulls in and proceeds to order most of the menu items for a solid 4-5 minutes. I heard, "would that be all for your order today mam?" probably about 5 times. Keep in mind once you enter the drive thru there is a large curb so leaving your place in line and abandoning your order is not possible.

I ordered my 3 items and then waited for the kitchen to prepare everything on the menu and feed it out the window into the van in front of me. When I pulled in there was 4 cars in line behind me and when I finally got my food there was more than 10 cars in line wrapping around the building.

After she got her bags of food, she pulled back into a parking spot to eat it.

Thoughts?
Life is too short trying to figure out the behavior of others. Go inside next time. It's quicker.

Yeah, CFA is pretty good in general in terms of efficiency and getting the order right, as is In-n-out.
Sometimes the problem with CFA is not CFA itself, but the drive thru customers who can't/won't follow directions are on clearly posted signs...you get one or two idiots in a place they are not suppose to be and the whole things just clogs up.

But in general CFA has their **** together. If more places were like CFA, CFA would be out of business.

Chrysler Pacifica van pulls in and proceeds to order most of the menu items for a solid 4-5 minutes. I heard, "would that be all for your order today mam?" probably about 5 times. Keep in mind once you enter the drive thru there is a large curb so leaving your place in line and abandoning your order is not possible.

I ordered my 3 items and then waited for the kitchen to prepare everything on the menu and feed it out the window into the van in front of me. When I pulled in there was 4 cars in line behind me and when I finally got my food there was more than 10 cars in line wrapping around the building.

Thoughts?
You shouldn’t eat fast food. It’s terrible for you. Anybody know if that’s real meat or where it comes from?

Thoughts?
My gripe isn't about food at all. Young people can't count. My job takes me thru a lot of small towns, one such town were I was for a couple weeks had 3 whole restaurants. I was staying at a local hotel and stopped in, I bought two sandwiches. I was the only customer in the store at the time, with 2 young ladies behind the counter, one made the sandwiches, the other worked the register. I paid with a $20 bill, I was given change as though I had rendered $10. I protested but remained polite and she corrected after casting a questioning glance at her coworker.
The following evening the exact same scenario happened, but the two ladies had reversed roles. This time she shut the door to the cash register after taking my money and giving me HALF my change and when I protested (again) she gave me my correct change, but the look on her face was one of disbelief.
I have now had enough of this, it's not my fault these young ADULTS can't count. I am a product of my history. When I pay for my food, on the RARE occasion when we eat at one of these not-so-fast food places, my wife won't even stand next to me, because I TELL whoever is behind that counter, DON'T TOUCH MY MONEY. Leave it lay right there on the counter. Tell me how much change I get; ONLY when you give me the correct amount (orally) can you TAKE MY MONEY. It is downright shocking how many "deer in the headlights" looks I get from young people. They are frequently speechless, dumbfounded. Was 6th grade REALLY that hard? Rant over.

Life is not too short to ponder this. The solution is simple and it boils me that big fast food corps cannot think for themselves.

1.) Todays ERP systems can predict and prioritize items to make ahead of time for that specific store location. Like in the 1990's at McDonalds for example they over made way to much stuff and threw out quite a bit when the items timed out on the hot plates. We now have very accurate systems that track trends so that they can pre-make most items and throw away very little. The food is not that good if it had to be thrown out. Conversly I remember the quality being better anyways on the hotplates.

2.) do not install a curb, or median so that should someone decide to change their mind, they can get out of line and leave or go inside. I would have politely left and gone somewhere else.

3.) Dont use the descretion of the shift workers, program the order system to recognizethat when a certain number of items are ordered, then mandate the person to either pull around to the waiting area, or allow the person to cancel the order and go inside. Follow this up with a big sign that say "limit XX items per order".

Thoughts?
ten cars in line is a slow, slow day in some places.

Fast food is bad for you. Convenience is the only upside and you aren't getting that nor have you for years.
If you voluntarily get on a line to buy it, you're displaying some kind of sickness in addition to the laziness of not exiting your car.
Willingly blocking your car in anyplace totally "violates my religion" and is unforgivable.
The "stupid people" thing in this country isn't new -as is its acceleration- so you don't get to complain about it.
That big money can open chains of various businesses and smaller players are effectively barred from an industry (who has enough money to acquire roadside land, build, staff/train, supply AND WAIT to see if the business will thrive?) shows you you're patronizing the wrong kind of player.

Do a "Gandhi" and prepare your food like you're actually involved in your life.

Flame suit on and I'm climbing into a hole.

Life is not too short to ponder this. The solution is simple and it boils me that big fast food corps cannot think for themselves.

1.) Todays ERP systems can predict and prioritize items to make ahead of time for that specific store location. Like in the 1990's at McDonalds for example they over made way to much stuff and threw out quite a bit when the items timed out on the hot plates. We now have very accurate systems that track trends so that they can pre-make most items and throw away very little. The food is not that good if it had to be thrown out. Conversly I remember the quality being better anyways on the hotplates.

2.) do not install a curb, or median so that should someone decide to change their mind, they can get out of line and leave or go inside. I would have politely left and gone somewhere else.

3.) Dont use the descretion of the shift workers, program the order system to recognizethat when a certain number of items are ordered, then mandate the person to either pull around to the waiting area, or allow the person to cancel the order and go inside. Follow this up with a big sign that say "limit XX items per order".
Yup! In my case, I just wanted to cancel and get the hell out of there. To the corporation, it was a successful event because they sold a sandwich combo.

I actually wrote the company about it and explained how bad this transaction was. Their response was a basic "Sorry this happened" email.... that was it.

Life is too short trying to figure out the behavior of others. Go inside next time. It's quicker.
I alway go inside…problem is many fast food places here (NM) are now “drive thru ONLY”! Sonic, Taco Bell, LOTABURGER, etc.

America is too fat, to lazy, and wasting too much gasoline.

I will vote for the next guy or gal that bans* “drive thru“
*as log as they don’t want to ban my semi autos too 😩

Now, you can have 2 drive though lanes at McDonald's....
I somehow always manage to get into the drive-thru lane that gets "forgotten" while the order-taker takes three cars in a row from the other lane. Isn't the system meant for them to take turns? Either the order-taker doesn't notice there are cars waiting in the other lane, or he/she thinks we don't notice. I don't know which.

There is a labor shortage around here, and many fast food restaurants are short handed. It seems that once an order is taken, there may be nobody to fill it. Result is long, long lines. The restaurants have signs offering new employees $18 an hour in some cases.

I somehow always manage to get into the drive-thru lane that gets "forgotten" while the order-taker takes three cars in a row from the other lane. Isn't the system meant for them to take turns? Either the order-taker doesn't notice there are cars waiting in the other lane, or he/she thinks we don't notice. I don't know which.
See that's one thing I've NEVER understood. Why have multiple places to place the order when you only have one food prep/pickup line.

I agree about CFA however it’s widely known that one we have sucks. It’s not very clean inside either.

Some folks need to stare at the menu for a good 5 minutes or more before they figure out what they want.
Ha, this is an interaction I have at least once a day, so I guess you have a point:

-Customer comes into my store asks what type of oil their car takes
-They have no idea what year/model/engine it has
-I run their plate or VIN to figure it out.
-I inform them we have multiple options that are compatible with their car, and ask if they have any brand preference.
-They say they don't care, so I go get them our house brand that meets the spec for their car, or if we don't have it in our house brand, I grab them one that is the right one as per what the computer/manufacturer calls for, and bring it up to the counter.
-Customer says that's not the one they usually get/their mechanic/partner/friend/YouTube video told them they need so and so.
-OK so which one do you usually get? Of course they have no clue but it's definitely not the one I brought.
-I proceed to pull up their purchase history in our computer to try to figure out what they bought just so that I can get to the next customer. If they want to put the wrong oil in there, that's fine, I did what I could. On their phone number I find like 20 different types of oil they've bought in the past 2 years, or they're one of those people that always says "yeah I have a phone number with you but don't worry about it I'm just buying some oil" so there are no records of what oil they get... so that's not helpful.
-Eventually I tell them well I can sell you this one which is recommended based on your car manufacturer blah blah or you're welcome to go pick whichever one you want from aisle 5 and if you have any more questions let me know.
-Customer stares at all the oil for several minutes, calls someone, not sure who, and comes back to the counter, with the same exact thing I tried to sell them in the first place.

Back