The continuation of being dumped on in Restaurants needs to end.

.........This whole "no one wants to work anymore" mantra is simply made up. Not supported by facts.
No, it's not, "made up". Neither is the fact someone is paying their freight.

At a time when the United States is struggling with labor shortages, nearly 20% of prime-age adults—approximately 24 million Americans aged 25-54 — are not working.

Thirty-seven percent of those not currently looking for work—or roughly 8 million people—do not plan to ever enter or return to the workforce.

"While almost two-thirds of prime-age adults not looking for work may be open to working in the future, few have near-term plans to enter the workforce."​

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Americas population is aging and retiring. Current generations are smaller. Workers are supporting an ever larger population of retirees with money to spend. I think people were talking about this happening 30+ years ago. Even in engineering we struggle to hire people. Companies are poaching employees from each other throwing high salaries around to grab talent. The 2008 recession decimated engineering and many left never to return. So there’s a lack of mid-level engineers in the talent pool. Now the old heads are retiring. I’m one of the lucky ones approaching 40 who made it through. I’m harassed by recruiters daily. So if you’re in the workforce in an in demand job the world is your oyster. Enjoy it until the next recession while it lasts!

We're having the same issues with finding engineers too, even right out of college. The big companies grab them straight out of school or give them bigger salaries than a SMB like ours can provide.

At a time when the United States is struggling with labor shortages, nearly 20% of prime-age adults—approximately 24 million Americans aged 25-54 — are not working.

Thirty-seven percent of those not currently looking for work—or roughly 8 million people—do not plan to ever enter or return to the workforce.

"While almost two-thirds of prime-age adults not looking for work may be open to working in the future, few have near-term plans to enter the workforce."​

That link sampled a group of folks less than my highschool's attendance and majority in that group were no work/not looking.

Artemis Strategy Group surveyed a national sample of 2,165 non-working U.S. adults, ages 20-54 (excluding full-time students ages 20-24) to understand the potential barriers to entering the workforce. The national sample included 539 non-working adults who are looking for work (often labeled as unemployed) and 1,626 non-working adults who are not looking for work (often labeled as not in the labor force).

That link sampled a group of folks less than my highschool's attendance and majority in that group were no work/not looking.
That's the way polls work. It's not how many, but who, and how they're selected, and why. Political polls work the same way. Who are they supposed to poll, half the country?

25-54 is higher than ever

16-24 is pretty much the same as its been since 2010.

55+ is quite a bit lower and declining.

I think your issue is the current generation of children - GenZ, is the smallest generation in a long time, and like 15% smaller than the millenial generation, combined with people retiring early - means less workers.

This whole "no one wants to work anymore" mantra is simply made up. Not supported by facts.

25-54 is higher than ever

16-24 is pretty much the same as its been since 2010.

55+ is quite a bit lower and declining.

I think your issue is the current generation of children - GenZ, is the smallest generation in a long time, and like 15% smaller than the millenial generation, combined with people retiring early - means less workers.

This whole "no one wants to work anymore" mantra is simply made up. Not supported by facts.

A 62.6 employment published employment participation rate is mind blowing. That is quite a spread between a reported 2.x unemployment rate.

Yeah, I hear ya. Who the hell likes clean restaurants any more? Or wants waiters and waitresses without rings in their noses? Or enough brains to take a lunch order, without repeating it a half dozen times.
This literally happens at Costco gas which is full service in NJ. They will repeat fill it, regular, 3X, when on two cars I said premium. It isn’t that they can’t remember, they really don’t care. Whether PC or not, there are a few older attendants who seem to care. It’s not too complicated as virtually all are filling and there are only two grades of fuel.

A 62.6 employment published employment participation rate is mind blowing. That is quite a spread between a reported 2.x unemployment rate.
Its actually quite a bit higher than historical norms. If you look at my link - 89.1% of males between 25 and 54 are participating - the highest group.

62.6% is everyone over 16. So you have kids in high school, kids in college, retirees (the most ever), those in training or retraining, the disabled, stay at home mothers, etc.

You can bold and highlight whatever you want, it doesn't matter. In macro, the absolute number is irrelevant - its the second derivative that matters, and that says we have a higher participation rate of key groups than any other time. There were plenty of drunks and bums and welfare cases when I was a kid also.

The second - your article was published by a DC think tank who's CEO is the former secretary of education, so there is always an agenda. Always check your source before you believe it. Don't just google for a result you want to find -you will always find it and it will be worthless.

The numbers published about LFPR tie out and pass the smell test.

Last edited:
That's the way polls work. It's not how many, but who, and how they're selected, and why. Political polls work the same way. Who are they supposed to poll, half the country?

If you're going to make a report of why prime-aged americans aren't working then you should probably take the majority of the population in multiple regions and living arraignments, not have a group that's 85% made up of folks who don't work.

Expanding on that article, the full survey and related article points that:
  • 72% of prime-age adults who are not in the labor force say that personal health or family caregiving are the main reasons they are not working.
  • When compared to a wide range of potential workplace benefits, prime-age adults who are not in the labor force say that paid family and medical leave is about as important as compensation when considering starting or returning to work.
  • Of prime-age adults not in the labor force due to reasons related to caring for children, 39% say they likely would have continued to work in their last job if they had paid parental leave. Meanwhile, 45% say they would be more likely to start or return to work if a future employer offered paid parental leave.
  • Of prime-age adults not in the labor force because they are caring for other family members, 46% say they likely would have continued to work in their last job if they had paid family caregiving leave. Similarly, 47% say they would be more likely to start or return to work if their future employer-provided paid family caregiving leave.'

Aka: family issues are rated higher than work.

If you're going to make a report of why prime-aged americans aren't working then you should probably take the majority of the population in multiple regions and living arraignments, not have a group that's 85% made up of folks who don't work.

Expanding on that article, the full survey and related article points that:
  • 72% of prime-age adults who are not in the labor force say that personal health or family caregiving are the main reasons they are not working.
  • When compared to a wide range of potential workplace benefits, prime-age adults who are not in the labor force say that paid family and medical leave is about as important as compensation when considering starting or returning to work.
  • Of prime-age adults not in the labor force due to reasons related to caring for children, 39% say they likely would have continued to work in their last job if they had paid parental leave. Meanwhile, 45% say they would be more likely to start or return to work if a future employer offered paid parental leave.
  • Of prime-age adults not in the labor force because they are caring for other family members, 46% say they likely would have continued to work in their last job if they had paid family caregiving leave. Similarly, 47% say they would be more likely to start or return to work if their future employer-provided paid family caregiving leave.'

Aka: family issues are rated higher than work.
My wife is highly educated, but stayed home with our children for almost 8 years - aka not participating in the labor force according to the government. I think it is the best thing we could have done given the success our daughters have had so far.

I think encouragement to outsource raising your own children might be one of our countries downfalls.

My wife is highly educated, but stayed home with our children for almost 8 years - aka not participating in the labor force according to the government. I think it is the best thing we could have done given the success our daughters have had so far.

I think encouragement to outsource raising your own children might be one of our countries downfalls.

I have noticed more folks staying home to raise kids as well and completely agree that outsourcing childcare has caused more issues than it has solved; not to mention the massive costs of daycare and such.

I have noticed more folks staying home to raise kids as well and completely agree that outsourcing childcare has caused more issues than it has solved; not to mention the massive costs of daycare and such.
Median salary is like $56K.

One kid in daycare is running $20K plus per year. Barely makes sense to go to work at that point - driving, paying taxes, etc.

2 kids - your loosing money.

Median salary is like $56K.

One kid in daycare is running $20K plus per year. Barely makes sense to go to work at that point - driving, paying taxes, etc.

2 kids - your loosing money.
One kid in daycare per year is $20k per year? Where?

One kid in daycare per year is $20k per year? Where?
Normal professional day-care here is around $300 a week. Add all the sundry of other annual fees and some extra for late pickup because $300 typically only covers like 7:30 to 5 - your approaching $20K. So I am told by neighbor, my kids are grown up.

I imagine if you can find a church day-care or a private home you can likely do much better.

Or grandparents FTW!

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
Normal professional day-care here is around $300 a week. Add all the sundry of other annual fees and some extra for late pickup because $300 typically only covers like 7:30 to 5 - your approaching $20K. So I am told by neighbor, my kids are grown up.

I imagine if you can find a church day-care or a private home you can likely do much better.

Or grandparents FTW!
I don't live in an affluent area like some, I guess. There are two good daycares in our town, and the cost is $130 per week here for one kid. These are stand alone businesses, not part of a church or a private home. There were no annual fees. Dropoff begins at 6:30AM, and pickup goes until 6:00PM. From my research, this all seemed to be the norm, rather than the exception.

Good daycares are expensive and I'm not asking either of our parents to raise our two kids (that's selfish IMO) so, three years after we had our second child my wife quit work to raise the kids, that was 14 years ago, by then we were paying $17k/year. Despite being a single income family ever since, I don't have any regrets about the decision we made; we manage. Restaurants? No thanks!

Back