A surprisingly Good Meal at Applebee's

We were going to Applebee's about once every 6 to 8 weeks for a while. The food was hit or miss so we stopped going.

I can relate. I used to go to Applebee's often, and enjoyed their meals and service. But then had a few hit or miss experiences. Mostly miss. Because of that, I probably haven't been in an Applebee's for over 15 years.

Perhaps I need to give them another chance.

This is nothing against Applebees... there is one a mile from my house. That said, in the past 4 years, I've made an effort to patronize non-chain Mom and Pop local eating establishments if at all possible. Websites such as TripAdvisor assist in figuring out which ones to go visit.

And since doing this, I've found a few that I keep going back to, over and over again.

Yes, I do understand that the local Applebee's might be locally owned, and yes they do hire local people.

This is nothing against Applebees... there is one a mile from my house. That said, in the past 4 years, I've made an effort to patronize non-chain Mom and Pop local eating establishments if at all possible. Websites such as TripAdvisor assist in figuring out which ones to go visit.

And since doing this, I've found a few that I keep going back to, over and over again.

Yes, I do understand that the local Applebee's might be locally owned, and yes they do hire local people.

They try to be hyperlocal where they have graphics on the wall of local spots or mementos of high school athletes who did well. If there's a football player from a local high school who made it in the NFL, they'll probably have a photo or a jersey.

There are some things where it's pretty reliable. Mozzarella sticks, appetizers, burgers, etc. I still don't recommend a steak since I've never had a halfway decent steak from any Applebee's. But my understanding is that they make most of their profits off of alcohol sales.

There's actually an Applebee's in Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco, in a city that's notorious for making it difficult for chain restaurants. Their prices are extremely high though, but they do have Happy Hour and Dollaritas.

I can relate. I used to go to Applebee's often, and enjoyed their meals and service. But then had a few hit or miss experiences. Mostly miss. Because of that, I probably haven't been in an Applebee's for over 15 years.

Perhaps I need to give them another chance.
You should, some of them are much better than others. We'll try a different location, but it is going to take some time because three other people were not happy campers either the last time we ate there.

Don't think I've had applebees in like 16 years and i only ate there once. Not because i vowed to never return the last time or anything, it was just eh food that was as expensive as everything else i liked a lot more. Might give it a try next week when i take the family out just to try something else.

The applebees in SW FLA was good- as I have found most places in Fort Myers, The one up here near me (NH) is the worst restaurant I have ever been to, I think the janitor was cooking that night, lol.

IIRC that was pre outbreak.

As I travel a lot for the job; I often eat at Applebees and its competitors Chilis and TGIF.

Some of the best memories of my life are associated with Applebees back when I was still young enough to regularily date beautiful young women I would often take them there including the beauty who would later become my wife.
It was nice enough for a date, but did not break the bank of a younger man.
So I have a lot of good will towards the chain.

Back to the now:
In my town Applebees seems to have the healthier options and this is why I often choose it as a destination, though when the menu is in front of me, I almost never take them. :sneaky:
Quality of the food is decent but there are some misses in both service and food on occasion.
They have good deals right now:
They have a all-you-can-eat, either BBQ or wings or shrimp deal for $16 and a 2-fer- $25, 28 or 30 USD deal on regular entrees (depending ones which you pick)
Fries are often over terribly oversalted I'd say about 40% of the time. I always mention it afterwards and I have taken to asking my waitress on new visits to please not get oversalted fries.
The Pasta is consistently excellent.
Salads are good.
Burgers are sometimes excellent sometimes just ok. But I think this has a lot to do with what batch of meat was available that week.
Prices are the more reasonable among the 3 big chains.

When Chilis opened in town I noticed reduced significantly attendance at Applebees, which was a bit sad to me, since I have a lot of good will towards applebees.
I did notice that the food at Chilis seems to be more consitently tasty.
Their appetizer platter serves as a fun and tasty meal.
They seem to have fewer healthy choices or maybe when I am there I just eat less healthy since thier appetizer combination platter is so good.
I had equally good appetizer combination platters at Applebees in the past, just not consistenyly at my local one.
I noticed that the small slider style burgers on the appetizer platter actually taste better than when I order on the platter vs the full size burgers there . Those seem just ok.
I get the sense that the food at Chilis is often more caloric than at Applebees. (which explains it richer taste)

TGIF I dont go as often since they are not local, but I usually enjoy.
They mirror Chilis a lot, in the good and bad.

Last edited:
A Culver's opened a single location here about 8-10 years ago. At the time it opened, it was a little higher (25%) than McYucks, Wendyyucks, BurgerKyucks, and a little cheaper than 5 Guys.

It was absolutely the best burger you could get in a drive thru. It still is. A meal is about 12-13 bucks now, so still maybe a little higher than the the other Yucks, but it's absolutely still delicious. I have gotten exactly one bad meal from them (a burger that was pretty rare) and they remade it, refunded me, and asked if I wanted dessert on them. That frozen custard stuff puts ice cream to shame.

I may go there this evening for a pork tenderloin sandwich. It's killer good when you get it with extra mayo, lettuce and tomato. I add 1 packet of ketchup to it sometimes.

I frequent APPLEBEES about once a month and find it has many meals and salads that I like. I think it is a very good place to eat and the price point is good for me.

We had a Chili’s in our old neighborhood in Madison (northeast Nashville), and went there quite a bit. I really like Chilis burgers.

Here in Dickson (town of 16,000, about half an hour west of Nashville), we have Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, and Logans Roadhouse (also Colton’s, O’Charleys, and Cracker Barrel).

Out of those, I’ve had a burger at Logan’s, and it was very good.

I need to get burgers at the others to compare.

Glad you mentioned that Applebees has good burgers. It’s been a while since I had Applebees, and I’m sure I’ve had one of their burgers before.

Havent been to this one here. Need to try it.

We had a Chili’s in our old neighborhood in Madison (northeast Nashville), and went there quite a bit. I really like Chilis burgers.

Here in Dickson (town of 16,000, about half an hour west of Nashville), we have Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, and Logans Roadhouse (also Colton’s, O’Charleys, and Cracker Barrel).

Out of those, I’ve had a burger at Logan’s, and it was very good.

I need to get burgers at the others to compare.

Glad you mentioned that Applebees has good burgers. It’s been a while since I had Applebees, and I’m sure I’ve had one of their burgers before.

Havent been to this one here. Need to try it.

The one benefit that Chili's has is their "3 for Me" deal. It used to be "3 for $10", but I guess that they wanted to up the price a little (starting at $10.99). And there are $10.99 deals even in my rather expensive area.

d308f697-5786-4921-990c-cc82a6ff15f3_Web_Ft-Item_desktop_800x600+New+Image+Starting+at+25%25.png

The last time I went to Chili's was with out of town guests and we got their steaks all around, which were $16.99 for a 6 oz sirloin, two sides, an appetizer/soup/salad, and a beverage. A la carte would be more than $25 or more depending on the appetizer/soup/salad choice.

I'm not a huge Applebee's fan, but I remember I used to go with the kiddo regularly to Muir Woods National Monument in Marin County, where we had an annual pass. Then afterwards it was either BJ's or Applebee's at a mall in San Rafael, California. A burger at Applebee's was fairly reasonably priced - I think under $10 at the time, which was crazy cheap for Marin County. I think both the BJ's and Applebee's there are gone.

Who is Karen?
Is my Lady Friend. We hang out a lot. Our trips are called DDA's. Stands for Dan's Driving Adventures. Which can include anything. Even 375 mile trips for a certain pizza. Or a trip to Springfield to see Buckee's, The original Bass Pro Shop and my favorite pizza are available in Springfield. Also it is the birthplace of Cashew Chicken, which I have never eaten. Drove to where Jesus is supposed to return to in Northern Missouri. Lots to do, don't rot at home.

Last edited:
I rather eat at a privately owned local restaurant they pay more attention to details food n service much better than corporate America
Would love to try to love more local restaurants. Most here are run by people who are younger than me. The food is rarely on point with no consistency from visit to visit. Went to a Mexican Restaurant that to order u had to tell the bartender your table number so the servers knew you were ready to order. A local owned Breakfast and Lunch place. I ordered Biscuits and Gravy, the biscuits were from a tube. Never going back there. There are lots of odd local places, and very few I have tried have cut the mustard.

Would love to try to love more local restaurants. Most here are run by people who are younger than me. The food is rarely on point with no consistency from visit to visit. Went to a Mexican Restaurant that to order u had to tell the bartender your table number so the servers knew you were ready to order. A local owned Breakfast and Lunch place. I ordered Biscuits and Gravy, the biscuits were from a tube. Never going back there. There are lots of odd local places, and very few I have tried have cut the mustard.
Interesting by me your food is not good you out of business quick to much great competition

Back