The continuation of being dumped on in Restaurants needs to end.

For me as a Pennsylvania born and raised man; only real restaurant I eat at is ROUTE 68 FEED MILL up road from me. Family owned farm, meats, dairy etc. get tons of food and it’s $$$& but staff and owners talk to everyone and give LOT back to town/community.

O'Reilly is an old guy whose time has past and is still trying to stay relevant by pandering to a certain group of individuals. Our Chills is one of the few restaurants that still has some "value"left on the menu. It is always clean-it is true at peak times service can get a little slow.

O'Reilly is an old guy whose time has past and is still trying to stay relevant by pandering to a certain group of individuals. Our Chills is one of the few restaurants that still has some "value"left on the menu. It is always clean-it is true at peak times service can get a little slow.

Don't tell that certain group of individuals though, they like to blame everybody else but themselves.

Reactions: CKN
O'Reilly is an old guy whose time has past and is still trying to stay relevant by pandering to a certain group of individuals.
Yeah, I hear ya. Who the hell likes clean restaurants any more? Or wants waiters and waitresses without rings in their noses? Or enough brains to take a lunch order, without repeating it a half dozen times.

I like some of the foods at Chillis. Unfortunately we quit eating there because the place in my area has become downright filthy. Complained about it twice to the manager and he looked at us like we had two heads. I have to wonder how his house looks.

I saw that segment on O'Reilly's show a few days ago. I think this is more of a reflection of "Gen Z", or whatever they're calling themselves these days, than it is on Chili's as a restaurant franchise.

Most of these people don't want to work because they can get more from the government shining a seat with their butts. So the pool of what's leftover, and available for these places to hire, amounts to basic garbage picking.

When you have to give a simple order to a waitress 3 times, because they're too slow to comprehend and absorb the spoken word, something's wrong.

This is the unfortunate result of what has been a slow but steady deterioration of of our public educational system over the last several decades. Not so much Chili's in particular.
Wow, this rant is all over the map. Are you mad at the people who go to work for $2.13 an hour before tips, or the people who actually "graduated" from food service to their dream jobs in their industries? Do you want public schools to graduate more waitresses? God knows they work harder than I do, around hangry people, for less money and deserve credit for trying. How about you fix the problem instead of complaining, and sling some hash for a while?

I've had a quick look through this thread. The problem is similar in Canada, though not terrible. Expensive though.

We hardly ever eat out anymore. Restaurant food has gotten expensive and my wife is a better cook.

We have a variety of friends over for dinner quite often (on average more than once a month). It's quieter, the food is better, we have better wine and no-one is being rushed out the door.

I know having people over for dinner is "old fashioned" but it works.

For those with Facebook- Bill Orielly's comment on today's restaurants (Chili's):

I usually agree with O'Reilly, but immediately judging someone based on appearance is ignorant at the highest level.

He is correct - he went to eat a filthy restaurant, so its his own fault in this case. I would have turned around.

Wow, this rant is all over the map. Are you mad at the people who go to work for $2.13 an hour before tips, or the people who actually "graduated" from food service to their dream jobs in their industries? Do you want public schools to graduate more waitresses? God knows they work harder than I do, around hangry people, for less money and deserve credit for trying. How about you fix the problem instead of complaining, and sling some hash for a while?
Restaurants used to be clean. And most who worked in them were polite and well kept. Or else they couldn't work there. You tell me what happened.

I suspect, based on my own experience as a teenage waiter, that most front-of-the-house staff are (were) acting like they liked it. They've moved on to work they find more engaging. Since they cleaned better and put on a better show they were indeed more professional by many metrics.

There's a labor shortage and jobs people don't really enjoy doing are the hardest hit.

Well, given the so called labor shortage, and so called people are struggling - there has been no restaurant go under around here that I can tell - other than a handful when the pandemic first started. But I can't think of one since. They all look full as well.

We definitely stopped going much around here, but I travel for work. I usually try to find local places, but one night I worked late so swung in to Five Guys. A hamburger (no cheese) small fries and large drink - plus $2 tip, $23.68 total. I didn't mind. The place was spotless, the lady was nice and the food was hot. What I really hate is over-paying for bad food.

I suspect, based on my own experience as a teenage waiter, that most front-of-the-house staff are (were) acting like they liked it. They've moved on to work they find more engaging. Since they cleaned better and put on a better show they were indeed more professional by many metrics.

Standards have slipped across the board. What O'Reilly ran into is becoming more the norm. It used to be the bigger franchised chains like Bennigan's, IHOP, TGI Friday's, Marie Callender's, and Chili's maintained a higher standard.

No longer. They all seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel these days. You're right. They used to clean better, and put on a better show in general. Today they've got all they can do write your order, and give you correct change.

Standards have slipped across the board. What O'Reilly ran into is becoming more the norm. It used to be the bigger franchised chains like Bennigan's, IHOP, TGI Friday's, Marie Callender's, and Chili's maintained a higher standard.

No longer. They all seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel these days. You're right. They used to clean better, and put on a better show in general. Today they've got all they can do write your order, and give you correct change.
I'm sure the management knows, and is scared to death. With 2-3% unemployment, they're happy every day that whatever they've got for staff comes in. In a well run house the manager should pitch in and grab a mop. But even the quality of store level management varies greatly.

I'm sure the management knows, and is scared to death. With 2-3% unemployment, they're happy every day that whatever they've got for staff comes in. In a well run house the manager should pitch in and grab a mop. But even the quality of store level management varies greatly.
What is the adult employment participation rate? Unemployment number is not a meaningful number, adult employment participation rate is the number that is relevant.

What is the adult employment participation rate? Unemployment number is not a meaningful number, adult employment participation rate is the number that is relevant.
25-54 is higher than ever

16-24 is pretty much the same as its been since 2010.

55+ is quite a bit lower and declining.

I think your issue is the current generation of children - GenZ, is the smallest generation in a long time, and like 15% smaller than the millenial generation, combined with people retiring early - means less workers.

This whole "no one wants to work anymore" mantra is simply made up. Not supported by facts.

Reactions: Pew
25-54 is higher than ever

16-24 is pretty much the same as its been since 2010.

55+ is quite a bit lower and declining.

I think your issue is the current generation of children - GenZ, is the smallest generation in a long time, and like 15% smaller than the millenial generation, combined with people retiring early - means less workers.

This whole "no one wants to work anymore" mantra is simply made up. Not supported by facts.

Thanks for posting that information. When I have time in the next few weeks, I am going to dig deep into the numbers. I am well aware that figures lie and liers figure. I have read other published reports that show in many counties in the USA, the adult employment participattion rate is under 60 percent for adults ages 64 and under That equals four or more out of 10 adults not working, not paying taxes.

Reactions: Pew
Thanks for posting that information. When I have time in the next few weeks, I am going to dig deep into the numbers. I am well aware that figures lie and liers figure. I have read other published reports that show in many counties in the USA, the adult employment participattion rate is under 60 percent for adults ages 64 and under That equals four or more out of 10 adults not working, not paying taxes.
Its not called the burea of lies and statistics without justification, and I would welcome the results of your audit. and the monthly employment numbers are clearly manipulated - only to be updated the next month quietly - been covered in economic circles to the point its a running joke. But those are short term manipulations.

Still I think the long term participation numbers tie out fairly well at a high level.

The ADP payroll report is as high as ever, 6.5M more than before the pandemic. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/ADPWNUSNERSA

We also know that continuing unemployment claims are at an extremely low level: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CCSA

There has been an uptick of federal employees over the last couple years - its still overall a small number in the grand scheme. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CES9091000001

I have not heard of any state or local layoffs to any extent.

We also know that we have more retired population than ever. We also know that comparatively Gen Z - or essentially those 23 and under - are the smallest generation since before the boomers.

These are all well documented numbers.

So I haven't crunched every number together, however intuitively there is nothing in those numbers to suggest anything other than a very high labor participation rate. I don't know or hear of some large number of people just sitting around, other than what is suggested on this board with no real data.

Our population is aging, the youngest generation is very small. These are hard numbers easily found in the census.

Americas population is aging and retiring. Current generations are smaller. Workers are supporting an ever larger population of retirees with money to spend. I think people were talking about this happening 30+ years ago. Even in engineering we struggle to hire people. Companies are poaching employees from each other throwing high salaries around to grab talent. The 2008 recession decimated engineering and many left never to return. So there’s a lack of mid-level engineers in the talent pool. Now the old heads are retiring. I’m one of the lucky ones approaching 40 who made it through. I’m harassed by recruiters daily. So if you’re in the workforce in an in demand job the world is your oyster. Enjoy it until the next recession while it lasts!

Last edited:
Back