Castrol EDGE EP 20K Synthetic Oil Users ?

In real-world conditions, what would be the effect of changing the oil in my CRV's 1.5t's engine from the Honda-specified 0W-20 to a 0W-30?, specifically Mobil1 0W-30 AFE. This is an API Certified GF-6A oil. Assuming (dangerous, I know) that it doesn't meet Honda's requirements, would it still allow the engine to operate properly without voiding the warranty​

In real-world conditions, what would be the effect of changing the oil in my CRV's 1.5t's engine from the Honda-specified 0W-20 to a 0W-30?, specifically Mobil1 0W-30 AFE. This is an API Certified GF-6A oil. Assuming (dangerous, I know) that it doesn't meet Honda's requirements, would it still allow the engine to operate properly without voiding the warranty​
That’s been asked and answered on here about 300 times.

Yep, which is quite good.

The SN version of M1 AFE 0w-20 was 4,182cP:
I have always thought highly of Castrol products but the CCS of 5800 vs. 4182 would make me choose the Mobil1 AFE in the winter.

I just saw that I responded to this thread on 2/7/22 (post #64) and said basically the same thing I said here....at least I'm consistent.

Last edited:
I bought a lot of it when it was on clearance 🤷‍♂️
I haven't used any of it yet 🤔
It's Dexos 1 Gen 3 certified, and ~$2.09 per qt

Even if it wasn't the best oil ever made, I'll use it 🤌
I haven’t seen this oil on the shelves anywhere in a year…not Walmart, Autozone, Carquest. Nothing. Used to see it at Walmart all the time. Thought they discontinued it but it’s still on their website.

I know) that it doesn't meet Honda's requirements, would it still allow the engine to operate properly without voiding the warranty​
Don't confuse the word Recommendation with the word Requirement.
I seriously doubt Honda only allows 0w20 for that 1.5 engine you have.

If HyunKia only allowed (oil cap) 5w20 from 2012 to 2020, then all the junkyards in the USA would have needed double-the-expansion, to accomodate all the vehicles being towed to them for a final resting place (put tombstone/flowers right here)

Last edited:
Back