BMW B58 0W-12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the manual for my new 2023 X7 (B58) shows this spec for the oil:

Viscosity.jpg

But under the hood there is this sticker????

IMG_4364.JPG

Any ideas as to what is going on?

I would assume its a misprint on label or wrong label was applied.

Can you scan the QR code on the sticker?

Is your vehicle a hybrid?

The only thing I can think of is a new hybrid spec. There has been some talk about a new BMW spec.

The user manual is written to cover all vehicles and may not reflect new or minor variances in drivetrains such as hybrid. You could always call your dealer.

Last edited:
I would assume its a misprint on label or wrong label was applied.

Can you scan the QR code on the sticker?
Yeah good question, my wife has it at work I can try later. And yes might just be a mistake. But to my knowledge I don't know of any BMW engine that allows 12W oil. So weird they even have a sticker to mis-apply.

Last edited:
Is your vehicle a hybrid?

The only thing I can think of is a new hybrid spec. There has been some talk about a new BMW spec.

The user manual is written to cover all vehicles and may not reflect new or minor variances in drivetrains such as hybrid. You could always call your dealer.
Sorry, should have maybe not assumed everyone knows what a B58 is but that is BMW's inline 6. Standard gasoline engine, not a hybrid. And the BMW manuals "claim" to be vehicle specific. There is no X7 hybrid right now. I have a 2022 X5 and there is a hybrid version of that but the manual page for viscosity shows the same as the X7. Meaning nothing specifically calling out a hybrid engine.

Sorry, should have maybe not assumed everyone knows what a B58 is but that is BMW's inline 6. Standard gasoline engine, not a hybrid. And the BMW manuals "claim" to be vehicle specific. There is no X7 hybrid right now. I have a 2022 X5 and there is a hybrid version of that but the manual page for viscosity shows the same as the X7. Meaning nothing specifically calling out a hybrid engine.

No problem, I'm familiar with the B58.

In any case I did some research on your vehicle. It has hybrid assist with 48 Volt system providing 40HP and 55 lbs/ft torque. The electric motor is integrated in the transmission (ZF unit).

So my WAG is that we're seeing the new hybrid-centric specification.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
What a complete joke this is. No technical requirement here, same as there isn’t for any of the CAFE influenced grades. Just like the rest of the manufacturers we are all paying for the costs of this design re-engineering plus now BMW wants you to fork over even more for a special approval.

What a complete joke this is. No technical requirement here, same as there isn’t for any of the CAFE influenced grades. Just like the rest of the manufacturers we are all paying for the costs of this design re-engineering plus now BMW wants you to fork over even more for a special approval.
what?

Since MY23, X7 and 7 series now have B58TU2 instead of B58TU1 in previous model years. The B58TU2 calls for LL22 lol... If your car doesn't have GPF, you can still run LL-01FE but not LL-01. You can check whether your car has GPF by checking the sales options. If your car has SA 1DEA, then it has a GPF. This VIN decoder should work: https://bimmer.work/

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-C1JDGtZukk8nw5w.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-C1JDGtZukk8nw5w.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 266
Since MY23, X7 and 7 series now have B58TU2 instead of B58TU1 in previous model years. The B58TU2 calls for LL22 lol... If your car doesn't have GPF, you can still run LL-01FE but not LL-01. You can check whether your car has GPF by checking the sales options. If your car has SA 1DEA, then it has a GPF. This VIN decoder should work: https://bimmer.work/
It is proof that you can basically run anything you want thickness wise.
It calls for LL22 and LL01FE which could be oil with HTHS 3.49. Motul Specificl LL01FE 5W30 is perfect example where HTHS is 3.4.
So, ONLY, and ONLY reason LL22 is there is CAFE and maybe one more mpg.

Next Car and Driver X7 test:

"Amazingly, BMW lowered further consumption by 1mpg in such a large car."

It is proof that you can basically run anything you want thickness wise.
It calls for LL22 and LL01FE which could be oil with HTHS 3.49. Motul Specificl LL01FE 5W30 is perfect example where HTHS is 3.4.
So, ONLY, and ONLY reason LL22 is there is CAFE and maybe one more mpg.

Next Car and Driver X7 test:

"Amazingly, BMW lowered further consumption by 1mpg in such a large car."
Why do you think they've excluded LL01 and LL04 for the B58(TU2)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back