Best Inline-6 ever made?

That is my next project after installing oil cooler.
Are you the one that snatched that Euro Box from eBay that was going on for $299? :)
Not me. Actually grabbed the part number from ECS, and just ordered a new one though our parts dept. I get parts at cost, so was nearly the same price as that eBay one. ;)

I recommend the Euro box, I've had one on my car for over a year now. It's much easier to check/clean the air filter than the US spec box, and it deletes the charcoal filter. I also got rid of the silencer intake tube and replaced it with a Mishimoto silicone tube. The off-idle throttle response definitely improved. Before the mod the acceleration felt laggy from a stop light unless in sport mode.
Aha, OK, good to know. Mine is manual so maybe it is different response, but will definitely go Euro box.

Yeah I'd go back to a stock one if your Jeep is running hot. I put 2 Flowkooler pumps in Jeep 4.0s, and ended up taking them out shortly after. One made a clanking noise (WJ 4.0L) and it turned out the plate riveted to the impeller had come loose (common problem), and the other one was in an XJ 4.0L and it still ran hot when at speed. An old engine builder from the Jeepstrokers.com forum told me they caused "too much" flow for the radiator and to try a stock one. I didn't really believe him, but a stock GMB pump with 3 row radiator cured that Jeep completely.
Might want to try a Wrangler fan clutch as well. It bolts on the same and gives a little extra cooling for extra margin. Also use a Scangauge or similar to monitor real-time since the dash gauge doesn’t track with temp very well.

Might want to try a Wrangler fan clutch as well. It bolts on the same and gives a little extra cooling for extra margin. Also use a Scangauge or similar to monitor real-time since the dash gauge doesn’t track with temp very well.
I also use a scan gauge II to monitor temps, but I don't think a Wrangler/ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L fan clutch is needed unless the conditions are extreme such as desert running or lots of slow speed rock crawling. The ZJ/TJ fan clutch just never unlocks since the XJ fan is smaller, and it becomes really annoying and noisy. Fuel mileage and acceleration will suffer as well.

Ford 300
AMC/Jeep 4.0
Mercedes M104
Toyota 2JZ

I'll throw this one out there for good measure: The Volvo B6294/B6304. Not the easiest to work on, and the early ones had an issue with external HG leaks, but all in all a very reliable and stout engine.

I hope, in 10+ years, we are praising that new GM 3.0 I6 diesel.

I did get to enjoy a Nissan RB20DET swapped 240sx many years ago. It just had a different character than the SR20DET.

The nissan and toyota I6 of the 90s will always be my favorites.

I hope, in 10+ years, we are praising that new GM 3.0 I6 diesel.

I did get to enjoy a Nissan RB20DET swapped 240sx many years ago. It just had a different character than the SR20DET.

The nissan and toyota I6 of the 90s will always be my favorites.

Between the RB(26?)DET and the SR20DETT... Which one did you like better?

The Ford 300 I6 is definitely in this discussion. I've seen several of them with >500k miles that probably idle 50% of the time they're running. They just don't die.

Between the RB(26?)DET and the SR20DETT... Which one did you like better?
The SR20DET made a lighter and more balanced car. It was also a lot more money at the time. My 240 got an S14 blacktop swap, about $3k at the time, and the RB20 was $1000 and went into a $1200 240. Again this was a long time ago when you could still buy those cars. I believe the best swap might be the RB25DET if you can do it all well like Saabkyle’s build for example.

Back