Best Inline-6 ever made?

I know most of you have probably never heard of, let alone seen one, but I'd submit the humble Barra 4.0 designed and produced by Ford Australia is the best inline 6 ever made. Yes, I am a little biased!
I'm surprised we got this far into the thread before someone mentioned the Barra.

I agree with this, I like driving the M54 engines, but they are more fragile than the N52 it seems. If overheated, they will pull the head bolt threads from the block, and only a time-sert in the block can fix it. This is commonly diagnosed as a bad head gasket, and mechanics will replace numerous head gaskets and even cylinder heads wondering why it won't fix the problem. The M52TU/M54 also have a few more plastic cooling system components (plastic water pump for one) that can crack/break and cause issues. The N52 has an expensive electric water pump that usually fails between 80-120k miles, but the rest of the cooling system is a bit tougher.

While the N54 isn't considered to be a reliable engine, it is certainly durable for the tuning potential it has.
N generation with electric pump is not as bad. N52 ECP is most durable as engine is not needy as N54/55 (the worst are X5 models).
However, where BMW screwed up is the way they did oil cooling. First year 335 (n54) did not have any kind of heat exchanger or oil radiator. After Car & Driver etc. encountered overheating issues and started writing about it, BMW introduced heat exchanger on N54 and oil cooler for high speed synchronization package (standard BMW: Works in Germany, it will work everywhere). Problem with heat exchanger now is that cooling oil became more efficient and water pump was working more.
Real solution is dedicated oil cooler that some N54/55 had.
I am right now in process of adding oil cooler from N55 on my N52 as I had oil temperature issues on track (well, altitude). I figured it might help with ECP lifecycle.

Yes i compared the maximum torque of the non disa e36 2.5 i6 against the n52 2.5 i6 with disa and if i am not mistaken the n52s maximum torque was already around 2500 3000 rpm and the non disa engine was around 4500 rpm.

My electric waterpump is the original one and is now at 224k miles, i think i will change it before it fails after 15 year. But yes its expensive.
I had the radiator fail at 190k, the plastic side cover that is clamped to the alluminium leaked inbetween.
The o ring in the plastic pipe mounted on the front of the cylinder head becomes hard and also seeped a little. I have replaced this at 210k.

Due to the variable heat management the ECU will give warning when its over 120 celcius, this is way too hot. The reason why its so high is that the engine is allowed to run at 110 celcius due to ECO mode when the ECU notices youre cruising at low load at a constant speed. Due to the length of the ALU cylhead its more sensitive to deforming.

When people do not stop immediatly when they get a warning they will ruin the engine. There is no time to drive to the next exit.
I would open the bonnet and put the car on accesory mode, then the electric fan should keep turning due to to high engine temp.

QUOTE mightymousetech: Will disagree with that. The N52 is a tank of a motor, very stout. Also makes significantly more power, and thanks to valvetronic, is significantly cleaner and better FE. Everything a motor is supposed to do, it does it better. Plus, I hate working on those old MXX motors. LOL

Yes i agree, when you compare the N52 to its competitors at that time it had the highest ouput per liter for an n/a 6 cyl engine.
Too bad they couldnt/didnt make them after that, would love to see 100hp per liter n/a inline 6es.
My N52 will have the broader torque range soon.

Just bought a new 3 stage intake and euro air box to install this week! With the euro 330 tune will be around 280 hp, and a nice wide torque curve. Pretty close to the 100 hp/L. Enough fun for a winter car.

I have always felt that a pretty good gauge of the quality of an automotive engine was what else it was installed in. The Ford 300 is a good example, it can be found in anything from a pickup to a forklift, crane, power unit, man lift, you name it. The slant 6 is another good example as they were a very popular forklift engine.

I have always felt that a pretty good gauge of the quality of an automotive engine was what else it was installed in. The Ford 300 is a good example, it can be found in anything from a pickup to a forklift, crane, power unit, man lift, you name it. The slant 6 is another good example as they were a very popular forklift engine.
They are commonly found in industrial brush chippers. Good torque and long runners.
Well, they used to be anyways. I haven't done tree work in many years...

My N52 will have the broader torque range soon.

Just bought a new 3 stage intake and euro air box to install this week! With the euro 330 tune will be around 280 hp, and a nice wide torque curve. Pretty close to the 100 hp/L. Enough fun for a winter car.
That is my next project after installing oil cooler.
Are you the one that snatched that Euro Box from eBay that was going on for $299? :)

That is my next project after installing oil cooler.
Are you the one that snatched that Euro Box from eBay that was going on for $299? :)
I recommend the Euro box, I've had one on my car for over a year now. It's much easier to check/clean the air filter than the US spec box, and it deletes the charcoal filter. I also got rid of the silencer intake tube and replaced it with a Mishimoto silicone tube. The off-idle throttle response definitely improved. Before the mod the acceleration felt laggy from a stop light unless in sport mode.

Volvo SI6 engines used in the XC60 and others. Easily a 300,000Mi engine.
I have a B6304S2 in my 960. It's a 2.9 liter 24 valve duel overhead cam all aluminum motor. 178 ci making 181 hp and 199 ft lbs of torque. It's a smooth and very reliable engine. It took me a while to really appreciate it after years of driving 2.3 liter Inline 4 Inter-cooled Turbos. As you said these engines are easily capable of 250K - 300K miles or more with routine mainenance and especially timing belt changes at the required mileage.

One of the more oddball things I saw a Industrial 225 Slant 6 in.....A Clark Cortez Motorhome, Of coarse Clark is best known for their Fork Lifts.

I know this is a I6 thread.....But the GM 4.3L V6 was used in a bunch of larger Hyster Fork Lifts.

One of the more oddball things I saw a Industrial 225 Slant 6 in.....A Clark Cortez Motorhome, Of coarse Clark is best known for their Fork Lifts.

I know this is a I6 thread.....But the GM 4.3L V6 was used in a bunch of larger Hyster Fork Lifts.
Was a few of these around here back in the day

Back