attention cheap oil users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

It is my opinion running a cheaper oil is a waste of time, and you gain NOTHING but the pennies I've already posted about. I have posted facts. If my opinion does not matter to you, you really wasted your time replying.

The oil I use has better additives than no name, fact.
The oil I use has a better TBN than no name, fact.
The oil I use costs pennies more over time, fact.

You, as a lot of the people here, don't understand the points I made earlier, and that is fine. As I said, I am up for a discussion, but realize trying to have an intelligent conversation with some, well, is painful. If you don't understand my points initially, you can't discuss. The repeating words over and over again was humorous and gave an insight to yourself. Might be time to grow up, but just my opinion.

IknVO3Tl.jpg

It's ok cruiser93,like these jerks have never used or bought a brand name oil at regular price heaven forbid. The way they ganged up on you I don't even have enough penalty flags for unnecessary roughness or PILING ON ! Like the old 3 dog night song "Easy to be hard". Prove this and prove that, like to see what they've ever proven

Because I want to buy oil, not marketing, sponsorship and promotional items.

All those hats, stickers on race cars and commercials cost money. That money is built into the price of the oil you buy when buying a name brand oil.

An oil like Supertech or Harvest King (at Rural King) meets the same specs and doesn't have those extra costs for things that don't make my car run better.

The real "crime" if you will are the $5/quart oils at some C-stores that not only are not name brand, but don't meet the specs. But people buy them because it's $2 less than the $7 quart of Pennzoil offered there. Not only are these products priced high, but they don't meet the same specs as the $2 quart of Supertech or Harvest King.

The real question is why would I pay $20+ for 5 quarts of 0W20 SN Dexos spec oil in a Mobil 1 bottle when I can pay $9.99 for a 5 quart 0W20 SN Dexos spec oil at Rural King?

How much marketing and promotional costs are built into that jug of Mobil 1 that makes it 2x or more costly than the Harvest King option?

So, why do you buy cheap oil?

Example, walmart supertech synthetic 5qt, 15.68.
Mobil 1 sythetic 5qt, 23.97
Price difference =8.29, or 1.65 a quart

1.65 a quart. 1.65 a quart savings for "ok" oil, certainly not great oil.

Say you run 5k mile interval.
15.68/5000=.003136 per mile cost
23.97/5000=.004794 per mile cost

Really? Why would you just not buy better oil? The savings is basically nothing, and works out to pennies a day.

I am all for saving. If I got oil daily, or weekly, maybe cheap oil makes sense. But not for 5k miles.

I know it all adds up, but if you buy a car to keep it, why use toned down oil for basically no measurable savings?

Ok, so let me have it, tell me how I am wrong.

For me personally, buying inexpensive oil isnt as much about saving money as it is me beating the marketing machines of GIANT Corporations who brainwash the average person into paying a premium for oil that is no better then the $13 - 5 quart containers of oil like Chevron, super tech... etc as LONG AS IT MEETS THE API THAT YOUR VEHICLE CALLS FOR.

Suckers are born everyday and there is always someone to take your money.

Now dont get your panties all up tight for those who feel better about buying products that make them feel better. We ALL do that and nothing wrong with it.
But dont trash people who sanely buy cheap oil products that meet the recommendations of the manufacturer of the vehicle vs those who buy products that are much more expensive because of the claim of the maker of the product that it is better, even though it carries the same API rating.

Its SOME of these people who pay more for products of equal API ratings that will yell, scream and fight and belittle others who do not follow.

... so ends the Sermon of the Day ... :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Its SOME of these people who pay more for products of equal API ratings that will yell, scream and fight and belittle others who do not follow.

As was the challenge in the last line of the OP...

And not a single fact to back up the pemise

Originally Posted By: Shannow
WRT some of the assertions in the "proof" that has been offered.
http://www.pqiadata.org/SAE0W20SamplesTest2016.html
Look at the pricey name brand oils in TBN, and "additive levels"

http://www.pqiadata.org/SAE5W20SamplesTest2016.html
http://www.pqiadata.org/SAE5W30SamplesTest2016.html

Not sure of the purpose of the post *L* if your agreeing with me or not.
But the links above do not in anyway show one motor oil superior then the other, it does show they meet the API ratings on the bottle and its quite possible that the cheapest bottle or most expensive bottle with the least possible amount of additives will best protect your engine from what counts most, WEAR.
Knowing a tiny handful of the elements in a modern day oil is no indication of amount of wear protection that oil will provide, that is only found in the API rating which all equal and all that is shown in these "reports"

Chevron is giant … do you just mean good dino … lots of them are $14 and will do the job …
Sponsored things are an every day part of life … this site does not run off of the $0-$50 a few members put in … check the banner at the top …
There are companies I support for my own reasons … those who are important in the “big picture” … Walmart gets plenty business from me without ST … and a large portion of the name brand oils I buy are on sale or clearance items …

Think everyone has made their point here … but if I follow nothing but API and what the oil fill caps says … I have missed out on the creative stuff this site brings. I would never be using HDEO in all the things I do without good experience here … or a 0w40 in a 100k Cruze without feedback from overseas … etc … and that opens the door for great bargains

WRT some of the assertions in the "proof" that has been offered.
http://www.pqiadata.org/SAE0W20SamplesTest2016.html
Look at the pricey name brand oils in TBN, and "additive levels"

http://www.pqiadata.org/SAE5W20SamplesTest2016.html
http://www.pqiadata.org/SAE5W30SamplesTest2016.html

Not sure of the purpose of the post *L* if your agreeing with me or not.
But the links above do not in anyway show one motor oil superior then the other, it does show they meet the API ratings on the bottle and its quite possible that the cheapest bottle or most expensive bottle with the least possible amount of additives will best protect your engine from what counts most, WEAR.
Knowing a tiny handful of the elements in a modern day oil is no indication of amount of wear protection that oil will provide, that is only found in the API rating which all equal and all that is shown in these "reports"

Read the OP..look at the links, form your own view.

Correlate price, TBN, NOACK, elemental analysis, and therefore the obvious "worth" of paying the extra.

Unless you think that the secret sauce that goes into a brand name label makes it worth the price...but I was addressing the OP

Really? Why would you just not buy better oil? The savings is basically nothing, and works out to pennies a day.

Ok, to clarify.

All oil is equal unless proven otherwise. If the API is equal, the oil is equal.

So how then do you determine one oil is better then the other?
You cant

So why then do you call an oil cheap?
Some oils have less of a price mark up then others and I guess you call that cheap. Some oil companies using marketing to produce more profits for its shareholders and create premium price points and status yet no oils in the same API are ever proven to reduce wear better then others.

With all the above said, PLEASE tell us what makes an oil better. That is the magic question.
You cant honestly believe that knowing LESS then a handful of elements that you can determine one oil better then another. So then, for all to tell, tell us what makes it better, oh and while you are at it, read the marketing material with no proof off that expensive bottle of oil and show how it will make your engine last longer.
You cant show how an engine will last longer then its designed life using one oil over another. So why do you buy into marketing campaigns of sure rich companies? Answer is easy, marketing and the use of psychology.

Hope Im not repeating myself, but it made me think after the post above was addressing the OP and I didnt realize it.

Many years ago, heck, not really that long ago, it used to be easy to show differences in oil, heck, even Consumer Reports did tests on oils.
Not so anymore, its pretty much all the same stuff, Even the brand name TV you watch most likely came out of the same factory that makes TVs for multiple companies that sticks their own name and possibly their on design on it.

Oil much the same now, a handful of companies make the additive packages and a handful of companies actually refine the base oils and distribute it not much differently then he gasolines you buy for your vehicle.

Last edited:

Ok, to clarify.

All oil is equal unless proven otherwise. If the API is equal, the oil is equal.

So how then do you determine one oil is better then the other?
You cant

So why then do you call an oil cheap?
Some oils have less of a price mark up then others and I guess you call that cheap. Some oil companies using marketing to produce more profits for its shareholders and create premium price points and status yet no oils in the same API are ever proven to reduce wear better then others.

With all the above said, PLEASE tell us what makes an oil better. That is the magic question.
You cant honestly believe that knowing LESS then a handful of elements that you can determine one oil better then another. So then, for all to tell, tell us what makes it better, oh and while you are at it, read the marketing material with no proof off that expensive bottle of oil and show how it will make your engine last longer.
You cant show how an engine will last longer then its designed life using one oil over another. So why do you buy into marketing campaigns of sure rich companies? Answer is easy, marketing and the use of psychology.

Hope Im not repeating myself, but it made me think after the post above was addressing the OP and I didnt realize it.

Many years ago, heck, not really that long ago, it used to be easy to show differences in oil, heck, even Consumer Reports did tests on oils.
Not so anymore, its pretty much all the same stuff, Even the brand name TV you watch most likely came out of the same factory that makes TVs for multiple companies that sticks their own name and possibly their on design on it.

Oil much the same now, a handful of companies make the additive packages and a handful of companies actually refine the base oils and distribute it not much differently then he gasolines you buy for your vehicle.

I appreciate the reply. I will try to answer in order.

I don't believe two oils with the same API rating are equal. After all, they are made by different companies, different base stocks used , different additives, more or less of certain additives, etc. So, they can not be equal. They may both be acceptable, but one will be better, and I don't think a lesser oil will protect better. API just states it meets spec at new, not how long it will continue to meet spec in your engine. It also does not state how much the specs are exceeded by, so you are blindly going into it. One oil may have just passed with minimal margin, while a more robust oil passes easily.

Without doing years of testing, I can't prove one oil is better than another, but that really was not my original post anyway. The discussion was price. I can read the data sheets, look at the prices, and determine the best buy for the job, using logic and common sense to make my choice. In doing so, my choice certainly isn't going to be trying to save pennies over an oil change by buying no name oils.

I consider an oil cheaper if it has a weaker base stock and additive package.

You can't show using a lesser oil protects the engine just as well, if you want to say I can't prove my way is better. Problem is, again, I never said cheaper oil wont work, but asked why use it with almost no cost benefit. Since neither way can be proved, and only extrapolated, I will pay the pennies more for a more robust product.

I don't take any marketing into consideration, could care less. I'm going by data sheets, and cost of oil, and benefit of use. Cheaper oil does not win the comparison for me in this situation.

Same thing for gas. Shell gas is say 2.50, no-name brand gas is 2.47. Sorry, I'm going to Shell and getting the extra additives and top tier gas vs not and saving .66 cents(.03 x 22 gallons). That's 34 bucks a year if filled up weekly, no thanks. I'll pay more and be better off in my opinion.

I hear what you are saying about Electronics. Components are close to being the same, but not exactly the same. Of course some components are shared too. But some differences, or less options will be present on the cheaper model. Also, electronics have become disposables for most, so cheaper may be the way to go here, but research first.

I'll leave with this example. Why does Toyota use Mobil for their factory made oil(if they stopped, doesn't matter its an example, could be anything)? Surely the bean counters at Toyota have calculated it would be much cheaper for them to fill all cars from the factory with say supertech, at a savings of billions. I don't believe it's the payment for advertising, walmart has deep pockets and can pay toyota too to get their oil in the cars. It's most likely due to the lesser oils not up to the task of 10k oci's, or more when drivers forget to service. They and all manufacturers need to ensure a quality oil, even when brought back in for service, so no bad reputation is achieved. Why do all dealerships use name brand such as valvoline, penzoil, mobil, etc when you go for a dealer oil change? Surely the dealership could save a bunch of money using no name. Explain this please. In my opinion, I already have. They also calculated the risk vs reward, went with name brand.

Not all dealerships use name brand oil. I know of a Hyundai dealership that ran Cam2 in their cars and trucks serviced there. A member on here had a UOA done and them Cam2 heels up great. With very low "wear" metals. I have heard that some Nissan dealerships do the same thing. Or... They just run a "low end" name brand like Mobil Special.

Having said that... I do think your math on this does make sense to me.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Not all dealerships use name brand oil. I know of a Hyundai dealership that ran Cam2 in their cars and trucks serviced there. A member on here had a UOA done and them Cam2 heels up great. With very low "wear" metals. I have heard that some Nissan dealerships do the same thing. Or... They just run a "low end" name brand like Mobil Special.

Having said that... I do think your math on this does make sense to me.

Thanks for the info. Surprising they do offer a non mainstream brand, I have never seen that. I guess I can now only say most dealerships use main brand oil. Or maybe this happens more often than I am aware. either way, I'll change it myself and use name brand while doing so.

Logically, to me, it makes zero sense to run a lesser oil to save so little over a long period. The reward is just not there to run a low TBN, low additive mix in my engine. Just me. I can't see it, and I strongly feel for the cost savings, it is not worth running cheap oil.

But what about if the cheap oil DOESN'T have all those things that you say a cheap oil has ?

http://pqiadata.org/SuperTech_HM_SYN_0W20.html

you know why it takes me so long to shop? Because I make a choice between the name brand and the store brand. Often, the contents are identical in the same order. Read the labels, then choose. I do the same with oils. Meets or exceeds specs. Blackstone saying the same thing cuts a lotta ice too.

Logically, to me, it makes zero sense to run a lesser oil to save so little over a long period. The reward is just not there to run a low TBN, low additive mix in my engine. Just me. I can't see it, and I strongly feel for the cost savings, it is not worth running cheap oil.

But what about if the cheap oil DOESN'T have all those things that you say a cheap oil has ?

http://pqiadata.org/SuperTech_HM_SYN_0W20.html

so would you or do you run that oil for 10K, with no make up oil between changes? And continue to do so for 162K miles as an example?

Not me, I am not running walmart oil to 10k. Especially to save pennies. Or actually probably spend more when the oil burns off and need to add more, or change at 5k, etc. No thanks.

But what about if the cheap oil DOESN'T have all those things that you say a cheap oil has? http://pqiadata.org/SuperTech_HM_SYN_0W20.html

so would you or do you run that oil for 10K, with no make up oil between changes? And continue to do so for 162K miles as an example? Not me, I am not running walmart oil to 10k. Especially to save pennies. Or actually probably spend more when the oil burns off and need to add more, or change at 5k, etc. No thanks.

Let me blow your "logic" out of the water.

Let's say you are making your arguments to a bunch of housewives,
or bartenders, or what ever group you choose...
NOT guys who frequent oil forums.

Your argument: "Expensive oil is better oil"

Read the data on the Supertech 0W-20 oil Shannow posted (which you seem to despise)...
It actually looks like pretty good stuff.
Why all the hate?

Now read the data on a comparable (and far more expensive) product, Royal Purple 0W-20 full synthetic:
http://pqiadata.org/Royal_Purple_0W20.html

Hmmmpph.....

I guess it's time to drop the microphone and walk away,
because you've got nothing to counter with at this point.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

But what about if the cheap oil DOESN'T have all those things that you say a cheap oil has? http://pqiadata.org/SuperTech_HM_SYN_0W20.html

so would you or do you run that oil for 10K, with no make up oil between changes? And continue to do so for 162K miles as an example? Not me, I am not running walmart oil to 10k. Especially to save pennies. Or actually probably spend more when the oil burns off and need to add more, or change at 5k, etc. No thanks.

Let me blow your "logic" out of the water.

Let's say you are making your arguments to a bunch of housewives,
or bartenders, or what ever group you choose...
NOT guys who frequent oil forums.

Your argument: "Expensive oil is better oil"

Read the data on the Supertech 0W-20 oil Shannow posted (which you seem to despise)...
It actually looks like pretty good stuff.
Why all the hate?

Now read the data on a comparable (and far more expensive) product, Royal Purple 0W-20 full synthetic:
http://pqiadata.org/Royal_Purple_0W20.html

Hmmmpph.....

I guess it's time to drop the microphone and walk away,
because you've got nothing to counter with at this point.

I would never run royal purple. Run your supertech for the minimal savings, I won't. Do you buy walmart cola to save .10 cents or coke/pepsi? Purchase off brand soap? Cheap gas over top tier to save .60-.80 cents per fill? I won't change my stance, per cost it is not worth it.

Plus, I have seen no one here state they run supertech for 10k oci's, do you? Probably spending more in the long run anyway.

Hey 93,
Just give it up.
You are not going to change anyone's mind here cause your reasoning is weak.
There is a reason for oils to meet API spec and it has nothing to do with the name of the oil.
It either meets spec or not.As long as it meets spec you are good to go.
If you think you are using some over spec oil,well you are only fooling yourself.
Do what makes you feel good but don't expect any followers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back