attention cheap oil users

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMEN my friend
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
so would you or do you run that oil for 10K, with no make up oil between changes? And continue to do so for 162K miles as an example?

Not me, I am not running walmart oil to 10k. Especially to save pennies. Or actually probably spend more when the oil burns off and need to add more, or change at 5k, etc. No thanks.

Based on what logic ?

We've demonstrated that the oil has decent basestocks (good NOACK), has a comparable level of additives and TBN to it's peers ?

What's your reason for discounting it now ?

Does your engine know what the label looks like, or the price ?

If it met Dexos 2, and was on their list, I most certainly WOULD run it out to GM's Oil Life Monitor.

Edit, and yes I did in the past...Supercheap Auto had their in house brand "Calibre", that was about 40% cheaper than name brands. It was repackaged Caltex C3 5W30 (the synth), and Delo Gold Ultra (the dino)...both extremeley good oils, exactly the same as the caltex oil, and cheaper...and my engines didn't know I paid less for them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

I would never run royal purple. Run your supertech for the minimal savings, I won't. Do you buy walmart cola to save .10 cents or coke/pepsi? Purchase off brand soap? Cheap gas over top tier to save .60-.80 cents per fill? I won't change my stance, per cost it is not worth it.

Flawed logic (again).

I don't drink cola, but do know from experience that Coke and Pepsi taste different (meet different specifications if you will), so aren't interchangeable. But if Walmart cola meet YOUR specification (taste), then more power to you.

I DO buy ALDI teagbags, English Breakfast, as I find them just as good as Twinnnings, and half the cost. I also buy twinnings Afternoon teabags, as I very much like them, and they have a different application (like I'm drinking now).

ALDI baked beans - sure, they are actually better IMO, not being as sweet as some of the more expensive brands. Bread and Beef Jerky ? sure. Grassfed ground beef, pork belly, salmon fillets as well.

Paying more for exactly the same thing is silly.

Sam’s cola … and in Texas … HEB cola iare good …

Back to oil … I’m in Walmart today and looking at some 15w40 … read the back label and what is different
(The Delvac was actually cheaper … both at standard price - sorry for the blurry shot)

I will play the Devil's Advocate for a moment:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1005880/2

Yes, it is a little out of date, but worth bringing to the discussion....

Originally Posted By: Mannix
I work in the industry, and I do have access to most of the larger oil companies recipes for blending, including base oils and additive packages. Conoco-Phillips gets grp-III at or below the cost of locally blended grp-II bases from their Korean enterprise. Their blends are at a minimum of 50% grp-III, to a max of 70%.They are free with this info. Call the CP tech line, and specifically ask for Rex. He is a fluids engineer that I have business contacts with and he will verify. But I wouldn't get too excited about the grp-III component, because the additive pack is a standard SM/GF4 add pack. So their ant-wear and friction reduction, and other characteristics is equivalent to any other quality conventional oil. Unlike Durablend or Syntec, which have advanced packages for additional protection, the CP line is made to primarily pass spec. The grp-III component does aid in cold flow, so that PP depressants can be minimized and in oxidation properties.

Originally Posted By: Mannix
WPP Supertech synthetic uses the Conoco-Phillips stuff for their formulation also. I cant say that they use it exclusively though because they have a long term contract with Motiva. The joint facility you are referring to is the Excels plant in Louisiana. I don't know the exact details,, but prior to GF4, Pennzoil and Conoco-Phillips were contracting this plant for grp-II base oils. I don't know if they still are.
By the way, the lead formulation consultant for CP was instrumental in developing the processes for PAO. As a side note, IMHO, I like the performance of Grp-III synthetics over PAO synthetics.
From what I have seen, the grp-III syns of the major blenders seem to have stronger add packs, thus lower wear.
The PAO's only shine in extremes, and most passenger cars and light trucks rarely see this type of service.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
I agree with Mannix. PAO only shines in extremes. Grp III has shown through UOA's to be super stout at least out to 5000 miles.

I will say it depends upon the store brand's quality.

Lea and Perrins worschester sauce is WAY better than store brand worschester sauce. They are "technically" the same thing... But there is a huge quality and taste difference.

Saying that... I do get store brand paper towels. Some are close to as good as the name brand Bounty. These are the "same things as well. I also purchase Harris Teeter brand of spiral ham. It's obviously the store brand Gam. However.. it is way better than the name brand Smithfield. And it is usually much cheaper as well.

All these are the same items. Some store brands are very good. While other are not as good at all. Depends upon the item.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Sam’s cola … and in Texas … HEB cola iare good …

Back to oil … I’m in Walmart today and looking at some 15w40 … read the back label and what is different
(The Delvac was actually cheaper … both at standard price - sorry for the blurry shot)

What i see thats different is ST 15w40 is NOT CK rated and doesnt have every cert that Delvac has. Delvac gets my vote as its cheaper and has rebate going on
smile.gif
win win

So I change oil for one family member that is stuck on 5000 mile oil changes for his car, so for him I use the Super Tech 0W-20 synthetic, which I got on rollback this time for $15.XX plus tax, along with a 5000 mile filter. He likes his cheap and often. I change oil for another friend and she generally goes with what the oil life monitor says and then some. So I use M1 0W-20 in her car every time with a higher grade filter because I believe it will help protect up to 10,000 miles, although she does not usually go that long. She does drive a lot of highway miles, so that helps. I guess to know for sure, I could do the whole oil sample thing and verify it all with TBN tests, etc. Both cars are fairly new Japanese brands. And both oils meet Dexos 1 Gen2, which is decent standard of quality in addition to the usual API and ILSAC standards.

To be sure, oil choice does have to do with the type of driving, length of oci miles, months of service, personal preference, and what oil is readily available, along with brand loyalty at times due to what you have been using in the past and feel comfortable with, etc, etc. No sense to argue on here about all of this. Folks will always have differences in opinion based on their perceptions and priorities.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
93cruiser, just curious for myself. What do you even drive?

2007 toyota tundra crewmax, purchased new, 162K miles. 10k oci
2013 rav4, purchased new, wifes, 63k, 10k oci
2007 nissan altima, 84k, 2nd owner, 5k oci oci
1972 toyota FJ40-parked

why?

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I will say it depends upon the store brand's quality.

Lea and Perrins worschester sauce is WAY better than store brand worschester sauce. They are "technically" the same thing... But there is a huge quality and taste difference.

Say What?

^^^^^^^^^^^

Not good at all.... Junk to me.
I will gladly pay 60 to 80 cents more for really good Lea and Perrins.

But if you think it's good then hey that's ok for you. And nothing wrong with that
smile.gif

Like I said in my other post...the store brand spiral ham from Harris Teeter is WAY better than the name brand Smithfield. And a lot cheaper like $8 to $10 cheaper. Huge win win there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
^^^^^^^^^^^

Not good at all.... Junk to me.
I will gladly pay 60 to 80 cents more for really good Lea and Perrins.

But if you think it's good then hey that's ok for you. And nothing wrong with that
smile.gif

Like I said in my other post...the store brand spiral ham from Harris Teeter is WAY better than the name brand Smithfield. And a lot cheaper like $8 to $10 cheaper. Huge win win there.

Just having fun. For anyone who has access to the Real Canadian Super Store may I suggest the President’s Choice (store brand) spiral ham. Ham.... nature’s perfect food.

Last edited:
Hahahahaha!!! Awesome!!!

I like that !! Good times. Nothing wrong with that. Hope you have had a good day today.

I would just like to say one more thing, then I'm leaving this alone.
Anyone who thinks that a UOA can be the final word on an oil's quality, protection ability or longevity, has a lot to learn about tribology. Now, I will admit that a UOA is just one "piece of the pie" in judging an oil's worth. We all seem to forget from time to time that chemistry is at work here, and it is not always obvious from the UOA, what exactly is at work here.

Originally Posted By: bchannell
I would just like to say one more thing, then I'm leaving this alone.
Anyone who thinks that a UOA can be the final word on an oil's quality, protection ability or longevity, has a lot to learn about tribology. Now, I will admit that a UOA is just one "piece of the pie" in judging an oil's worth. We all seem to forget from time to time that chemistry is at work here, and it is not always obvious from the UOA, what exactly is at work here.

so with you saying that, is it better to save pennies with wallyworld or run a name brand oil such as mobil 1 that can go 10k oci's without thinking about it? that is the point in my original post.

For an average user, or any user really, without doing analysis, which 99% of drivers do not perform, the user is better off buying mobil1 over supertech for 10k oci's. This is based on cost, base stock, additive amounts, tbn, virgin oil analysis reports, used oil analysis reports, etc. The pennies you save equates to penny wise and pound foolish. Do as you wish, as will I.

Use a walmart mechanic set to work on your vehicle? Doubt it, wonder why.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
LISA: I'm going to become a vegetarian.
HOMER: Does that mean you're not going to eat any pork?
LISA: Yes.
HOMER: Bacon?
LISA. Yes, Dad.
HOMER: Ham?
LISA: Dad, all those meats come from the same animal.
HOMER: Right Lisa, some wonderful, magical animal!

LISA & HOMER SIMPSON, The Simpsons

Read more at http://www.top10-best.com/h/top_10_best_homer_simpson_bacon_quotes.html#Hm7sUrAKJxqhkrjt.99

*psst* The best meat's in the rump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back