Is synthetic worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man you wouldnt see me driving anywhere if it was colder than -20F. Its +5 here right now with 30mph winds. Thats cold enough. Reminds me, I gotta put another log on the fire ...

Originally Posted By: fsskier
... Now, compare 5W30 dino oil to 0W30 synthetic. The cold cranking viscosity of 0W30 synthetic is much less than 5W30 dino oil.
I would like to , but BP is intent on providing only the API max cP value not a measured value. When you are specing oils for -40f/c you have to start looking at the pour point too, so you avoid the gell point as 0w CCS is not reported at -40c/f. Classic EoM PAO formulation should display a -54C Pour - but then you have to factor in the poor lubricity of PAO. I'm not sure I want to trade poor lubricity for a lower pour that I will never see or use. My point in summary was for the many whom dont/wont operate a vehicle below -30c, a dino will work fine.
- Just checked that esso superflo dino has a pour of 1 degree shy of -40 and a fine ccs of 5.5kcP at -30c. This should be a fine winter oil for 95% of us that run a 30wt.

Last edited:
if you have an old engine that has a lot of blow by then 3,000 miles oc may bewarranted but if your engine is in decent shape you can go 5000 on dino sm
and maybe 7,500-8,500 on synthetic
Oil is cheap compared to an engine and all of the problems associate with an engine failure..
Everyone has their opinion this is mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back