Not open for further replies.
Amsoil Signature Series:

Highest performing product for automotive gasoline engines
Longest Life
Best high-temperature deposit control
Best coldflow properties
Best wear protection
Maximizes fuel efficiency

In light of this, why would they put a 1 year limit on it's use?

I mean it can go 25k in normal service. So what if that service is 12.5k + 12.5k over 2 years or 3 years x 8.3k.

Or even 2 x 7.5k in severe service.

If it's that good, why does it only last 1 year?

36.gif

it can be extended but they dont guarantee it.. otherwise someone would use it for 3 years in their DI 3qt sump hyundai then complain when it blew up.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
36.gif

Yup.

36.gif

36.gif
+2

36.gif
+3 It's a party!

I have a friend who ran an Amsoil OCI in her truck for over 3 years and 50k miles. (despite my annual reminders to change it) it cost her an engine. shocking.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I have a friend who ran an Amsoil OCI in her truck for over 3 years and 50k miles. (despite my annual reminders to change it) it cost her an engine. shocking.

on/off topic.. Ive got Mobil one 10/40 in the sump of my Yamaha R1, i put it in late summer early fall of 2011. ive only got 1,200 miles on that oil.. frankly i have no plans to change it untill 2013 (sometime).. ive heard to many storys of fantastic UOA's on motors that sat with the same oil in them for years and years.. two years with low miles in the sump wont kill anything, when i do get this bike out i dont ride it for anything less than 20-30 minutes (i get the oil hot) just having kids now im not afforded the oppertunity to ride as much.. im not going to dump a $50.00 oil just becouse of a timeframe.. boooooo not me.. two years is gravy for my story..

I'm sure it's capable of going over one year but like others have stated...it's a warranty thing. The amount of 'heat' or 'start-up' cycles an engines goes through in a period of time has an affect of the life of the oil. If a car is ran just a few miles every day it's not getting a chance to get up to full operating temp vs a car that's ran 50 miles a day.

Doesn't water build up and turn into sulph. acid over time? If you don't put on the miles to change it early enough I would drop down to a cheaper product.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
Doesn't water build up and turn into sulph. acid over time? If you don't put on the miles to change it early enough I would drop down to a cheaper product.

Only if you short-trip it. If you drive a car once every six months, but warm it ALL the way up and hold it at operating temp for an extended time when you do drive it... no problem.

In fact, that's how my '69 R/T gets run. I'm lucky to find time to put 1500 miles a year on it, so the M1 0w40 in the sump generally stays there for ~4 years. UOAs have been just fine that way. But I never start it up "just to let it run." When it starts, it goes at least 15-20 highway miles.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

WOW that is a lot of miles...I use to rent cars from Avis for the job I use to do and averaged approx 5-6k miles per month. I took a car one time with 142 miles on it and three months later turned it in with over 15k miles on it. During that time it never got serviced and maybe had to add one quart of oil. I called the service manager several times to let him know that I was working out of town and would be more than happy to drop the car off at a certain mile marker to get serviced and he told me not to worry about it.

Bo

I believe they say you can extend beyond a year if you do a UOA. More of a CYA on their part.

Like others I have gone over a year on this oil.

Originally Posted By: MarkStock

If it's that good, why does it only last 1 year?

Amsoil SS will "last" longer than one year. Amsoil is just being really conservative. It's a bit ironic, Amsoil takes heck from some here for being to optimistic on miles, but is questioned on time. There is no perfect time/miles for each and every situation. Extended OCI's are not to be taken lightly, they require some brain work - but they do work. If your situation leads to needing more time, then it's doable with UOA's as stated, but Amsoil warranty says 1 year to be really safe and to cover people racking some decent amount of stop and start short trip driving - heck in some cases I say six months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back