Amsoil SS 5w-30, 125k miles, 2011 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch 4x4, 5.4L

Happy Easter Guys!
Hopefully this post isn't too confusing
I discussed with Ifixyawata several weeks ago that I had a unique OCI that I was running.
I'm 8+ yrs running a (Amsoil) BMK 23-EA Dual Bypass Filter System.
I bought the vehicle new in 2011, and ran Mobil 1 5w-20 for the 1st 100k miles, with 5k-7.5k oci's.
When my warranty was up at 100k miles I installed the Dual Bypass System, and switched to Amsoil SS 5w-20 up until 250k miles.
After doing some research I switched to Amsoil SS 5w-30 at 250k miles.
The attached UOA is for 125k miles of Amsoil SS 5w-30. The vehicle currently has 376k miles. Mostly Highway
In total I've done 16 UOA's on this vehicle, and I think I have a pretty good Baseline to work from.
To compensate for drops in the Add Pack, TBN etc I drain out 1 Gallon of Oil between 25k (full flow) filter changes, and Never touch my drain plug. Although this intermittent draining may seem strange to some, it works really well for me and my driving style.
Hopefully some fellow bitogers can learn from my OCI/UOA process.

IMG_20240331_144854.jpg

Not going to knock the bypass idea nor your oil choice, but to call this a “125k UOA” is a little ingenuous when you’ve drained and filled 4 gallons of oil in a vehicle that holds 1.75 gallons of oil without the bypass system. I’d be comfortable calling your results a good representation of a 25k+ mile UOA with bypass filtration since that’s your last oil change, with ~3+ quarts leftover. Again, not knocking anything with your methodology other than it’s not really a 125k OCI.

Have you started with fresh oil, bypass filters, and full flow filter and then done periodic UOAs to see when you should change oil based on data? I don’t know the current mileage on his Duramax, but last I saw @wwillson was over 25k miles with the standard full flow filter and stock 2.5 gallon capacity. Personally I think you’re selling the Amsoil and the bypass system short.

Thanks for the UOA and info though, always good to see people thinking outside the box! 👍🏻

Holds nine quarts and no towing involved here..... hhmmm.
I would change the Amsoil S.S. every 10k and open the drain bolt every single OCI. I run 65% city and 35% highway.

Every member here has different M.O's on how to run their motor oil program.

I would change the Amsoil S.S. every 10k and open the drain bolt every single OCI. I run 65% city and 35% highway.

Triple_Se7en:
Thanks for your reply
Changing the Amsoil SS every 10k miles wouldn't fit my motor oil program
I've been running a dual bypass system for 8+ yrs/275k+ miles, and 16 UOA's
I change the full flow filter every 25k miles, and the bypass filter every 75k miles.
I effectively replace 4 quarts of half spent Oil every 12,500 miles with fresh oil (in between full flow filter changes) and probably 5 quarts when I change the full flow filter. I've shown that this method maintains a sustainable add pack/TBN.
(Which is the point of me sharing this post)
As far as the drain plug goes , I consider it a potential point of failure and hope to never touch it again.
Best Wishes and Thanks again!

Good to see you back, Crusher! I've been following your analyses since around 2017. Very nice results! Also, cool to see 3v with nearly 400k on it, since this engine has such a bad rep'. Bypass system definitely doing its job. 👍

Back