2013 Acura TL SH-AWD w/ 31k miles overkill new owner maintenance - Amsoil Signature 5W20 and Amsoil filter?

Hello, all. I just purchased a 1 owner 31k miles 2013 Acura TL SH-AWD that is truly in cream puff condition. I researched the previous owners on the back of the title and they are senior citizens that obviously drove the car very very little over the course of 10 years but did keep it in the garage. When buying any pre-owned car, particularly a super low mileage one I like to do a total reset on any and all maintenance even at the possibility that the previous owner already did it recently. Here is a short list of what I have set up to do on the car in about 2 weeks:

*Flush/Replace all fluids with OEM fluids: automatic transmission, AWD transfer case, rear differential, brake, power steering)
*Replace timing belt, tensioner, alternator belt, thermostat, water pump with OEM parts
*Replace air and cabin filters and wiper blades with OEM parts

As for engine oil....that's why I'm here. I'm a total overkill guy as far as maintenance goes and will be doing every 5k engine oil changes despite what the Maintenance Minder in the instrument panel may say. This J37 engine does have an oil consumption issue (they did extend the warranty concerning it but being 10 years old that wouldn't apply to my car unfortunately; however I do have a very solid 100K mile warranty I did pay for added to it at purchase so that should help with future issues if any) so I hope my overkill maintenance will alleviate this or at least help monitor it. The FWD version of this car is recommended 0W-20 and mine being an AWD is recommended 5W-20. The Amsoil site lists 5W20 in the top tier "Signature" brand along with an Amsoil branded oil filter. I'm not opposed to the cost for peace of mind of at least knowing I'm using "the best".

In a Honda-Acura engine, what has been your experience using Amsoil Signature oil along with the Amsoil filter?

I should add that I have driven the car maybe 100 miles in the 2 weeks I've had it just to avoid taking any chances with an aged timing belt causing something catastrophic before I can get it to the shop for the maintenance I just outlined.

That year was part of series of known oil burners as you mentioned. Check you PCV valve, at this low a mileage you may be able to prevent the sticking oil rings by doing short OCIs (no more than 5000) ignore the MM. Also suggest to use a ckeaning oil like Mobil1 0w-40 to keep the ring grooves from gumming up.

congrats on you new ride.

Hey, welcome to BITOG! Home of the OCD/overkill on maintenance. I'm a loyal Amsoil fanboy. My daughter bought (about a year ago) a 2004 Buick Century (little old lady owned) with 15,882 miles on it. We went to look at the car (on a used sales lot) on a Sunday afternoon when the place was closed, my wife & daughter were looking in the windows at the interior, I brought a piece of cardboard and a small digital camera and flashlight. I slid on the ground and looked underneath the car. The brake lines had paper stickers on them with LEGIBLE part numbers in color from the assembly line (on a 17 year old car). I told my daughter to buy it. She did.
It had a Carfax showing 29 entries, all dealer serviced. Yeah, why 29 entries and only 15K miles? Answer: the dealer lied and stole from an old lady. Some of said fluids were despicable and I had it (in writing) they'd been changed. BS. The brake fluid was DARK green and may have never been changed. I changed ALL the fluids like you mentioned above, but I think it's overkill to replace the water pump, but your car, your money, your time.

I think you are taking the right approach. Would not want to dissuade from any maintenance, but the timing belt, water pump and tensioners are simply not due for replacement, and would wait. There is no need to use Amsoil, and these Honda J Series engines are good for several hundred thousand miles on any decent brand oil. For all of the fluids, especially transmission fluid and diff fluid, OEM is money well spent. You might want to look hard at your tires to see if you are getting close on date codes.

Hey, welcome to BITOG! Home of the OCD/overkill on maintenance. I'm a loyal Amsoil fanboy. My daughter bought (about a year ago) a 2004 Buick Century (little old lady owned) with 15,882 miles on it. We went to look at the car (on a used sales lot) on a Sunday afternoon when the place was closed, my wife & daughter were looking in the windows at the interior, I brought a piece of cardboard and a small digital camera and flashlight. I slid on the ground and looked underneath the car. The brake lines had paper stickers on them with LEGIBLE part numbers in color from the assembly line (on a 17 year old car). I told my daughter to buy it. She did.
It had a Carfax showing 29 entries, all dealer serviced. Yeah, why 29 entries and only 15K miles? Answer: the dealer lied and stole from an old lady. Some of said fluids were despicable and I had it (in writing) they'd been changed. BS. The brake fluid was DARK green and may have never been changed. I changed ALL the fluids like you mentioned above, but I think it's overkill to replace the water pump, but your car, your money, your time.
Water pump is typically replaced at the same time timing belt/tensioner is done as it requires no additional labor with it's location to replace.

I think you are taking the right approach. Would not want to dissuade from any maintenance, but the timing belt, water pump and tensioners are simply not due for replacement, and would wait. There is no need to use Amsoil, and these Honda J Series engines are good for several hundred thousand miles on any decent brand oil. For all of the fluids, especially transmission fluid and diff fluid, OEM is money well spent. You might want to look hard at your tires to see if you are getting close on date codes.

There are new tires on there now - an off brand so I'll be replacing them this winter with Michelins; for now they are safe at least.

Congrats on the new Acura, what color is the vehicle. Have a soft spot for a Acura TL to be honest. Personally, what I have been reading and that year in particular with the 3.7L -- great advice was given with running Mobil One 0W40 paired with a quality filter and keeping it to 5000 miles or less OCIs. Here is wishing many years of smiles from your Acura TL....

Congrats on the new Acura, what color is the vehicle. Have a soft spot for a Acura TL to be honest. Personally, what I have been reading and that year in particular with the 3.7L -- great advice was given with running Mobil One 0W40 paired with a quality filter and keeping it to 5000 miles or less OCIs. Here is wishing many years of smiles from your Acura TL....

Attachments

• 1D249A89-6029-4D67-BE10-6EA01AA82AD3.jpeg
    1D249A89-6029-4D67-BE10-6EA01AA82AD3.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 46
Besides my current TLX, I've had four Acuras dating back to a 1990 Legend and totaling over 500K miles. All were V-6's and they mostly received Quaker State or Conoco-Phillips (Kendall) synthetic blend oil. Not a single oil related problem among them and zero oil burners. Any major brand synthetic will be fine for yours.

I agree with the other posters that your primary concern is preventing the car from becoming an oil burner.
Change your PCV valve every 30k miles.
I prefer short OCI in all my vehicles: 4k miles / 6 month oil change intervals (whichever comes first) with a good full Synthetic oil.
That short OCI gives me high confidence of no sludge/varnish/deposits ever forming on the piston rings or anywhere inside the engine.
Once you extend to 5k, that high confidence slips away.

Also I do 4 ATF drain/fills when I first buy a used car, and then a re-occurring ATF drain / fill every 15,000 miles / 3 years.

With good maintenance, you should be able to take your Acura to 300k miles. Good luck.

The timing belt would likely be due for replacement based off time (not mileage).
Most manufacturers recommend a mileage or age, whichever comes first. The rubber belt does deteriorate with age, even if just sitting.
Most manufacturers recommend a timing belt replacement in the 7-8 year range.

Thanks for the kind words and good info! This forum has certainly given me a lot to learn and catch up on. I have to admit, I'm doing some reading on HPL now.....had to search what it was all about!

I've used Mobil 1 for quite a long time now with no issues. Pick your poison basically Mobil 1, Amsoil, HPL etc... Sounds like your building quite a list of let's refresh everything at once since the car is 10 years old so with good maintenance habits that kinda trumps oil choice when choosing from all top rated oils. Possible carfax shows where they took the car for service? My mercedes I did all dealer visits so that's all on the carfax. My Mazda I self report everything but most done myself and not at dealer. Could possibly eliminate spending $$$ if ya find records of them possibly doing something on your list already. Some people service all over or by themselves and some 100% dealer. I like the dealer ones cause ya know they oversell so a dealer serviced car usually over serviced which beats underserviced.

The timing belt would likely be due for replacement based off time (not mileage).
Most manufacturers recommend a mileage or age, whichever comes first. The rubber belt does deteriorate with age, even if just sitting.
Most manufacturers recommend a timing belt replacement in the 7-8 year range.
That's correct, and reasonable.

Back