Amsoil overkill for my DD 1.5t?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply. I’m not interested in running a viscosity that’s not called for, or a premium fuel. I’m interested in whether I should use Amsoil over the existing Mobil 1. Cost is not a concern since over the course of a year of oil changes it doesn’t add up to much.
So you basically came here to reaffirm your own decision of running Mobil anyway? If cost wasn't a concern than just by Amsoil and run that or HPL?

It has been well documented that turbo DI engines are better on a higher octane even if the maker states 87 is ok. Do some research of LSPI and you'll see why.

So you basically came here to reaffirm your own decision of running Mobil anyway? If cost wasn't a concern than just by Amsoil and run that or HPL?

It has been well documented that turbo DI engines are better on a higher octane even if the maker states 87 is ok. Do some research of LSPI and you'll see why.
LSPI is not connected to the octane rating of the gasoline.

No, all oils are not the same. The problem is that you're attempting to judge quality differences via a $30 UOA which is the wrong tool and is incapable of performing that task.

You drew a conclusion about comparative oil quality from a test that doesn't measure comparative oil quality.
where did you see me say anything about UOA?

where did you see me say anything about UOA?

How does quoting OP’s original post answers my question?

Thanks for the reply. I’m not interested in running a viscosity that’s not called for, or a premium fuel. I’m interested in whether I should use Amsoil over the existing Mobil 1. Cost is not a concern since over the course of a year of oil changes it doesn’t add up to much.
Interesting response here ^.

Higher octane will provide a solid benefit (HP and TQ) for turbo engines. Most (blanket statement and I haven't researched Honda engines) if not nearly all of the modern variable timing engines have more flexibility on advance rather than retard of timing. Ford is 50/20 advance/retard. If you advance timing you get more power and it might help with the fuel dilution issue. Worth a shot. You already stated cost is not a concern.

Otherwise, to your original question 5k miles per change with whatever quality oil you choose should do the trick.

It is but is it the sole reason? No, but it certainly contributes.
I've never seen a study or paper that says it does, the ones I've seen have shown no correlation.

Make sure you're not confusing pre-ignition knocking with LSPI. They are completely different and have different causes and mitigation strategies.

I've never seen a study or paper that says it does, the ones I've seen have shown no correlation.

Make sure you're not confusing pre-ignition knocking with LSPI. They are completely different and have different causes and mitigation strategies.

One focuses on fuel specifically on it's kinetic properties and a lot of other things way over my head.

The latter on the mixture of lubricants into the auto-ignition with specific RON fuels.

Pre-ignition happens at higher RPMS so I am aware of the difference, running higher octane fuel in my own vehicles has proven to me that it indeed changes the behavior of the engine especially at low speeds.

I came here ready to buy Amsoil and was kind of talked out of it for my use case. Higher octane might help with LSPI but not with fuel dillution. And the way I drive I’m not worried about LSPI

My gut feeling is to change the oil in your D.I. motor every 3-4,000 miles. Direct injection kind of throws a monkey wrench into the normal decision to extend drain intervals. At that interval I wouldn't bother w/Amsoil. Also, the premium fuel idea sounds like a decent idea to me. Maybe try it a few times to compare mileage before you rule it out. My opinion is that if you're getting better mileage w/premium, you're going to have less dilution of your oil.
MPG and dillution aren’t related AFAIK. DiLluTiOn happens mostly at idle in cold weather (and for me largely a non issue), idling on 91 vs 87 isn’t going to speed up the warmup process. Top tier fuel helps avoid some buildup and I do use that but simply no need for higher than 87 octane for this car especially for my use case

Appreciate everyone’s posts for those who contributed, but the petty bickering is just annoying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back