Amsoil overkill for my DD 1.5t?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So currently at 8,000 miles on my 22 civic with the L15b7, first change was done at 5,000 using Mobil 1 0w-20 as I’ve used for years in other cars. However with the issues that DI engines can have especially equipped with a turbo, I’m wondering if it’s worth it to get something better going forward, and wonder if doing my 5,000 mile intervals, if Amsoil would be overkill?

Some of their oils are actually not expensive, like their OE line, and even using the Signature wouldn’t break the bank, but will I stand to benefit anything? I drive pretty gentle, 12,000 miles a year, and wouldn’t mind having a little more protection. Doing my own oil changes saves me labor cost which I could put towards better oil itself

Thoughts?

Amsoil is a great option, if you can afford it.
Another great option is HPL oils, available here. Buying in bulk (12qts+) provides better shipping rates.
I'd personally just use Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30 or Mobil1 FS 0W-40. Both nicely offset the effects of fuel dilution, while providing better protection (research MOFT and HTHS) than most 0W-20 oils.

Edit: forgot to mention this. Many (not all) Honda 1.5T owners report less fuel dilution after switching to higher octane, instead of using 87 grade. ECU makes adjustments for the higher octane, and many experience small bump in power and fuel efficiency. For me - that would be worth the extra cost of 91/93 grade. Depending on your region - 89 may provide similar improvements. Worth a shot?

Last edited:
Amsoil is a great option, if you can afford it.
Another great option is HPL oils, available here. Buying in bulk (12qts+) provides better shipping rates.
I'd personally just use Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30 or Mobil1 FS 0W-40. Both nicely offset the effects of fuel dilution, while providing better protection (research MOFT and HTHS) than most 0W-20 oils.

Edit: forgot to mention this. Many Honda 1.5T owners report less fuel dilution after switching to higher octane, instead of using 87 grade. ECU makes adjustments for the higher octane, and many experience small bump in power and fuel efficiency. For me - that would be worth the extra cost of 91/93 grade.
Thanks for the reply. I’m not interested in running a viscosity that’s not called for, or a premium fuel. I’m interested in whether I should use Amsoil over the existing Mobil 1. Cost is not a concern since over the course of a year of oil changes it doesn’t add up to much.

For 5k mile drains I don't think you'll see any difference among any of the major brands or boutique brands, at that interval. Where it gets more complicated is over longer drain intervals for which the EP/Amsoil etc. will hold up better. No harm in running something overkill if you feel better about it.

I’m interested in whether I should use Amsoil over the existing Mobil 1. Cost is not a concern since over the course of a year of oil changes it doesn’t add up to much.
If cost isn't a concern, change the oil every 3,000 miles. It's been the gold standard for decades before these extended oil change intervals became popular with the car manufacturer's marketing department as a way to advertise their vehicles as low maintenance. The engines are still steel, iron and aluminum like they were 100 years ago.

If cost isn't a concern, change the oil every 3,000 miles. It's been the gold standard for decades before these extended oil change intervals became popular with the car manufacturer's marketing department as a way to advertise their vehicles as low maintenance. The engines are still steel, iron and aluminum like they were 100 years ago.
This^.

If cost isn't a concern, change the oil every 3,000 miles. It's been the gold standard for decades ...
That's a grossly over-stated assumption which ignores the massive improvements made in engineering and manufacturing in both the engine and lube industries. If you want to discuss vehicles from decades ago, that's not applicable to this thread. Further, vehicles from decades ago didn't have engines that ran as strong (per liter), or as clean, or lasted as long. So 3k mile OCIs doesn't prove anything from the way-back days.

While I would agree that some vehicles present a concern for OCIs, those examples are rare and the general population will do quite well with 5-10k miles per OCI. The only concern for modern vehicles seems to be those with DI and fuel dilution. But I've not seen any evidence that would lead me to believe that 3k mile OCIs is the "gold standard" today.

Perhaps we could modify your claim ...
If wasting money isn't a concern, change the oil every 3k miles; that's been the common practice from decades ago.

For 5k mile OCIs, I would recomment ST or Kirkland or other good house brand oil.

Using Amsoil or Mobil 1 for 5k miles is like asking if it's better to use a .308 or '30-06 cartridge for hunting squirrel in your back yard; total overkill when a .22lr will do the job very well.
Mobil is cheap enough by me that I would prefer to use it over a “house brand”. I think Walmart sells a 12 quart case for like $60

Thanks for everyone’s replies, sounds like Mobil 1 0w-20 is just fine for me.

Mobil is cheap enough by me that I would prefer to use it over a “house brand”. I think Walmart sells a 12 quart case for like $60

Thanks for everyone’s replies, sounds like Mobil 1 0w-20 is just fine for me.
The M1 is over kill, but then in my opinion over kill is underestimated.

The M1 is over kill, but then in my opinion over kill is underestimated.
If I could buy Amsoil in a store I would use it. Don’t feel like doing their membership thing or paying exuberant shipping, just not a fan of the business model l. I’d tolerate if it was worth it for me but seems not

So currently at 8,000 miles on my 22 civic with the L15b7, first change was done at 5,000 using Mobil 1 0w-20 as I’ve used for years in other cars. However with the issues that DI engines can have especially equipped with a turbo, I’m wondering if it’s worth it to get something better going forward, and wonder if doing my 5,000 mile intervals, if Amsoil would be overkill?

Some of their oils are actually not expensive, like their OE line, and even using the Signature wouldn’t break the bank, but will I stand to benefit anything? I drive pretty gentle, 12,000 miles a year, and wouldn’t mind having a little more protection. Doing my own oil changes saves me labor cost which I could put towards better oil itself

Thoughts?
Amsoil is not better than Mobil 1, just stick with Mobil 1

I've used 5w30 SS in my 1.5T civic for a couple of oil changes (took it to 8k miles). 40k miles later on 5w30 PP diet. Running 4-5k intervals, no difference whatsoever. Just use "regular" oil and spend the difference elsewhere.

Thoughts?

The reason I opt for the longer drain oils within a product line is in case I can't get to an oil change or don't feel like it doing it. You get a bit of a cushion.

I've used 5w30 SS in my 1.5T civic for a couple of oil changes (took it to 8k miles). 40k miles later on 5w30 PP diet. Running 4-5k intervals, no difference whatsoever. Just use "regular" oil and spend the difference elsewhere.
I was looking a the Honda 1.5 UOAs on the Civic forum and they look pretty consistent regardless of brand from what I saw.

My gut feeling is to change the oil in your D.I. motor every 3-4,000 miles. Direct injection kind of throws a monkey wrench into the normal decision to extend drain intervals. At that interval I wouldn't bother w/Amsoil. Also, the premium fuel idea sounds like a decent idea to me. Maybe try it a few times to compare mileage before you rule it out. My opinion is that if you're getting better mileage w/premium, you're going to have less dilution of your oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back