2013 Acura TL SH-AWD w/ 31k miles overkill new owner maintenance - Amsoil Signature 5W20 and Amsoil filter?

There are new tires on there now - an off brand so I'll be replacing them this winter with Michelins; for now they are safe at least.
Have a look at the build date on the tires. It's a little square with the week and year.
For example, 2216 would be the 22nd week of 2016.
Little ol' lady tires will age out before they wear out.
Quite often these gems are estate sales, on consignment or from auctions.

I’ve used both Amsoil SS and other brand “regular” oils, and noticed 0 difference performance wise. The only difference was price. If you’re doing 5k changes, I’d not bother spending that much on Amsoil
He seems hellbent on spending no matter what the consensus here will be. "Cheap insurance" $🍭

I'd monitor oil consumption bc if it is high, I wouldn't be using a premium oil. However, HPL may be able to help clean up the rings.

Hello, all. I just purchased a 1 owner 31k miles 2013 Acura TL SH-AWD that is truly in cream puff condition. I researched the previous owners on the back of the title and they are senior citizens that obviously drove the car very very little over the course of 10 years but did keep it in the garage. When buying any pre-owned car, particularly a super low mileage one I like to do a total reset on any and all maintenance even at the possibility that the previous owner already did it recently. Here is a short list of what I have set up to do on the car in about 2 weeks:

*Flush/Replace all fluids with OEM fluids: automatic transmission, AWD transfer case, rear differential, brake, power steering)
*Replace timing belt, tensioner, alternator belt, thermostat, water pump with OEM parts
*Replace air and cabin filters and wiper blades with OEM parts

As for engine oil....that's why I'm here. I'm a total overkill guy as far as maintenance goes and will be doing every 5k engine oil changes despite what the Maintenance Minder in the instrument panel may say. This J37 engine does have an oil consumption issue (they did extend the warranty concerning it but being 10 years old that wouldn't apply to my car unfortunately; however I do have a very solid 100K mile warranty I did pay for added to it at purchase so that should help with future issues if any) so I hope my overkill maintenance will alleviate this or at least help monitor it. The FWD version of this car is recommended 0W-20 and mine being an AWD is recommended 5W-20. The Amsoil site lists 5W20 in the top tier "Signature" brand along with an Amsoil branded oil filter. I'm not opposed to the cost for peace of mind of at least knowing I'm using "the best".

In a Honda-Acura engine, what has been your experience using Amsoil Signature oil along with the Amsoil filter?
In terms of the timing belt replacement, my 2006 Honda Odyssey had it's original (16 year old) timing belt replaced at 110k miles last year.
I had asked the mechanic to give me the old belt that he took off. It looked strong and fine.
I think the time limit on timing belts may not be applicable in real life. I only pay attention to the mileage limit (110k miles in my case).

Hello, all. I just purchased a 1 owner 31k miles 2013 Acura TL SH-AWD that is truly in cream puff condition. I researched the previous owners on the back of the title and they are senior citizens that obviously drove the car very very little over the course of 10 years but did keep it in the garage. When buying any pre-owned car, particularly a super low mileage one I like to do a total reset on any and all maintenance even at the possibility that the previous owner already did it recently. Here is a short list of what I have set up to do on the car in about 2 weeks:

*Flush/Replace all fluids with OEM fluids: automatic transmission, AWD transfer case, rear differential, brake, power steering)
*Replace timing belt, tensioner, alternator belt, thermostat, water pump with OEM parts
*Replace air and cabin filters and wiper blades with OEM parts

As for engine oil....that's why I'm here. I'm a total overkill guy as far as maintenance goes and will be doing every 5k engine oil changes despite what the Maintenance Minder in the instrument panel may say. This J37 engine does have an oil consumption issue (they did extend the warranty concerning it but being 10 years old that wouldn't apply to my car unfortunately; however I do have a very solid 100K mile warranty I did pay for added to it at purchase so that should help with future issues if any) so I hope my overkill maintenance will alleviate this or at least help monitor it. The FWD version of this car is recommended 0W-20 and mine being an AWD is recommended 5W-20. The Amsoil site lists 5W20 in the top tier "Signature" brand along with an Amsoil branded oil filter. I'm not opposed to the cost for peace of mind of at least knowing I'm using "the best".

In a Honda-Acura engine, what has been your experience using Amsoil Signature oil along with the Amsoil filter?
One interesting fact about your vehicle. I watched a youtube video from the Car Wizard.
He is a general mechanic in Kansas.
He had a video about a customer with about the same year/make Acura that yours is (with the 3.7 J Series V6).
The engine seized up due to lack of oil (customer didn't realize they had an oil consumption issue and let it run dry).

The Car Wizard mentioned he checked with the Acura/Honda dealers, and in the United States, that Acura J Series 3.7 Liter V-6 has ZERO new replacement engines available from Acura / Honda, and that is expected to be permanent.

I thought this was extremely strange, for Acura not to stock the replacement new engines on the 2010+ Acura 3.7L V-6's.
But what this means is you may want to baby that engine. Check oil level weekly. Do frequent oil changes.
Do piston soaks (through spark plug holes) with Berryman's Chemtool, etc to clean the piston rings.
Because there is no way to ever order a new replacement engine for it.

I appreciate all of the feedback. With the known oil consumption and after reading this forum for several hours last night, I'm steering towards HPL engine cleaner and full synthetic. I sent a message to @High Performance Lubricants last night so hopefully I'll have some direction of what specific products to order. My understanding is that since the car takes 4.5qts I should do 1 at of the HPL Engine Cleaner 30 weight and the remaining 3.5qts in their synthetic 5W20 that is the recommended fill in the owners manual.

Thoughts?

I appreciate all of the feedback. With the known oil consumption and after reading this forum for several hours last night, I'm steering towards HPL engine cleaner and full synthetic. I sent a message to @High Performance Lubricants last night so hopefully I'll have some direction of what specific products to order. My understanding is that since the car takes 4.5qts I should do 1 at of the HPL Engine Cleaner 30 weight and the remaining 3.5qts in their synthetic 5W20 that is the recommended fill in the owners manual.

Thoughts?
If I'm not mistaken, you could just use their oil which cleans as good or better, and just run the first interval to 4-5k. Expensive oil for that duration, but it will certainly clean up some existing deposits and carbon based on what many are seeing.

I'm a big fan of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 all season tire for this car.
Stick some Goodyear Eagle Exhilarates on it instead. Have had both and all they did with the PS AS 4 vs the AS 3+ is try to increase the snow traction, and what that means with these tires is "good enough to make it home without crashing into the snowplow as it pushes snow out of the way ahead of you"

Run Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 in it.

Forget the timing belt, it's way too early.

Tire review:

I loved my 2011 TL SH-AWD! Loved the 3.7 and the ELS sound system was one of the best I've ever experienced in car. Unfortunately, that was long before my interest in oil and so nothing to add there. Congratulations on the new ride!

Could use the EC30 or EC40 and then QSFS 5w30 or Euro 5w40, Mobil 1 0-40, PP Euro L 5w30. You could also run a qt of Rislone for a couple oci to also clean out the rings as well. The plain HPL oil in a low mileage motor also makes sense too. 5k oci should keep it clean thereafter

I'm thinking oil is like musicians....the best is your favorite. M1 Valvoline, Redline,Amsoil....just change it and do the service.....Go Honda Go.....
I'd be more tempted to use something in a 0w30 and if you intend to drive it on a track then a 5:30 or a 0w40 could be feasible. I would think ExxonMobil, Red line or Amsoil would be better choices than Valvoline though.

Reactions: wlk
Great oil & filter, dont second guess on that pair.
Second gas all you want lol. Just don't tell what everyone on the forum that you are second guessing and you'll be just fine. I used to hear as a kid when you're taking a test that usually your first guess more often than not is a good decision or a good answer. You're using a boutique oil from a group of people who are striving to be one of the best if not one of the best oils out there. They have done very much right by this forum and they have worked tiresly to help all this get the appropriate products and material to get our cars performing at their best. Now you can just rest easy and have a good weekend

Thoughts?require
If I understand you, you plan to run the cleaner with the HPL 5W-20?
That's not how it works. You run the cleaner with whatever off the shelf oil that has the car's required spec for 2k miles.
Then you switch to a full fill of HPL 5W-20 for a regular OCI.

If I understand you, you plan to run the cleaner with the HPL 5W-20?
That's not how it works. You run the cleaner with whatever off the shelf oil that has the car's required spec for 2k miles.
Then you switch to a full fill of HPL 5W-20 for a regular OCI.
Ahhhhh, got it. Good info. I’ll pick up some M1 or PUP at Walmart to use with the cleaner for that short duration.

Thought about this a little more….

So add 1qt Engine Cleaner and 3.5qts M1 5W20 for a total of 4.5qts. I have an OEM Acura filter that I’ll use and run this for approx 2k miles. Then drain and refill with 4.5qts of HPL 5w20 with the fancy Amsoil filter I have for a normal OCI of approx 4-5k miles and stay on that schedule. Corrrct?

Back