Amsoil SS 0W-20 vs Schaeffer’s 0W-20 & filter in Honda 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but this was directly in relation to using a 30-grade instead of the recommended 20-grade as bolded in the poster's message.

And please describe the fuel chemistry differences and how it relates to grade. I do have somewhat of a background in chemistry so you can be as detailed as you wish.

Right, and honda “recommends” 0w-20 oil, it does not require it unlike other Honda fluids. warranty is denied only when required fluids are not used or maintenance not performed on time. Required fluids are Honda ATF and Rear differential fluid as an example.

Yes but this was directly in relation to using a 30-grade instead of the recommended 20-grade as bolded in the poster's message.

And please describe the fuel chemistry differences and how it relates to grade. I do have somewhat of a background in chemistry so you can be as detailed as you wish.

When you say yes are you now agreeing that yes fuel chemistry differences are significant between the United States and other countries?

Meaning you do know that there are different percentage of methanol ethanol as well as different additive packs used in different countries right?

I just want to be clear before we move on to the next topic that you now understand this?

We can then move on to how oil grades can differ in formulation (chemistry) as well but before that let's just make sure that we have this buttoned up.

So American Honda Motor Company is wrong and some eggspurt on the 'net is going to go to court as my witness and beat them. :ROFLMAO:

I am sure they would have changed “recommended” to “required” in all these years if this was really an issue causing some warranty disputes.

When you say yes are you now agreeing that yes fuel chemistry differences are significant between the United States and other countries?

Meaning you do know that there are different percentage of methanol ethanol as well as different additive packs used in different countries right?

I just want to be clear before we move on to the next topic that you now understand this?

We can then move on to how oil grades can differ in formulation (chemistry) as well but before that let's just make sure that we have this buttoned up.
LSPI can be a concern in some engines but it is not related to grade.

How is fuel chemistry related to oil grade?

LSPI can be a concern in some engines but it is not related to grade.

How is fuel chemistry related to grade?

Lspi was yet a single example. Again I believe your response was asking if I was kidding when I said there are significant differences in fuel chemistry between these different countries.

I believe I responded by saying that I was not kidding and I showed you that indeed that there are.

In fact if you simply search things like methanol ethanol and additive packs for each country you will find much information about how different our fuel chemistries can be and how those differences are significant in how they interact with oils which is why of course I gave lspi as probably the most modern and relevant example but of course there are many others.

So again before we move on I just want to be clear that you are understanding that there are significant differences in fuel chemistry between countries right?

Lspi was yet a single example. Again I believe your response was asking if I was kidding when I said there are significant differences in fuel chemistry between these different countries.

I believe I responded by saying that I was not kidding and I showed you that indeed that there are.

In fact if you simply search things like methanol ethanol and additive packs for each country you will find much information about how different our fuel chemistries can be and how those differences are significant in how they interact with oils which is why of course I gave lspi as probably the most modern and relevant example but of course there are many others.

So again before we move on I just want to be clear that you are understanding that there are significant differences in fuel chemistry between countries right?
Just stop. You're fear mongering for no reason here.

Just stop. You're fear mongering for no reason here.

This is a bit odd that you're asking me to stop when I'm responding to a question you actually asked.

Again you asked me if I was kidding I guess insinuating that it is crazy that there are differences in fuel chemistry between different countries and how that may interact with oils.

I hopefully have satisfied the question you had and I am asking do you now understand that there are significant differences in fuel chemistry between countries which can significantly impact the interaction between Fuel and oil?

It's important that you understand this fact and not opinion before we now move on to the next question that you had.

This is a bit odd that you're asking me to stop when I'm responding to a question you actually asked.

Again you asked me if I was kidding I guess insinuating that it is crazy that there are differences in fuel chemistry between different countries and how that may interact with oils.

I hopefully have satisfied the question you had and I am asking do you now understand that there are significant differences in fuel chemistry between countries which can significantly impact the interaction between Fuel and oil?

It's important that you understand this fact and not opinion before we now move on to the next question that you had.
Now you're just trolling.

Now you're just trolling.

It's a shame when you say things like fear mongering and trolling instead of being able to have an actual conversation about oil and fuel chemistry which is what this forum is about.

I was enjoying trying to help you learn about the fuel chemistry differences in countries as it appears you thought they weren't significantly different....

...and I believe we could have had a good conversation about oil chemistry changes between grades as well but it appears you are no longer interested in the questions you asked.

If you become interested again and discussing Fuel and oil do feel free to come back to this.

@bhvrdr there is no need to be condescending.

We understand fuel blends and quality can vary between countries.

You state that these differences in fuel call for different viscosities. Please explain.

Hi there. I don't know why you would say condescending.

A forum member said to me

"Youve got to be kidding me"...

This was in response to me stating there are fuel chemistry differences between countries and this impacts oil recommendations.

I thought that I explained quite clearly that I wasn't kidding and how this is true and in a very objective and non-personal manner void of any type of emotional content unlike "you've got to be kidding me"

The forum members response to this very non-emotional and fact-filled response that I gave was that I was fear-mongering and trolling which has absolutely nothing to do with the topic nor the discussion about actual fuel and oil chemistry.

In fact if you go back and look at my responses no where have I stated somebody's engine is going to blow up or doing this or that is going to cause harm to this or that so I have no idea why anybody would even suggest fear mongering or trolling when we have not even gotten to the point of discussing how these can impact engine wear. We were still discussing fuel chemistry differences between countries and how different countries have different reasons in for making oil recommendations that are not just political or efficiency related.

I just wanted to make sure this member now understands that these differences exist before we now move on to how fuel chemistry differences kind of impact oil recommendations in each country's owner's manual and how different grades of oil can have different chemistries as well.

This was all in response to another for a member staining that in country x it states it's okay to do this so that must mean it's okay in the United States?

You can see where this would be extremely detrimental advice

If an engine is converted to run on LPG, would it need a different engine oil grade?
How about LPG vs CNG, or gasoline vs Diesel?
E85 vs E10?

So how is German fuel chemistry different that relates to oil grade?

Ok, now that we've established fuel chemistry differences are significant between countries let's talk about how different fuel chemistry can interact with engine oil to impact engine performance and how this can impact changes in oil recommendations.

One very small example of this which let's not focus entirely on would be studies on ethanol and methanol content and it's impact on cold start to operating temp behavior and then studies that further look at it's impact on high temp behavior as well.

We could go over study after study on how these differences in gasoline chemistry can impact oil recommendations but again this is simply one part of oil recommendations.

If you recall in my original post I also mentioned things like engine calibrations as well as emission systems equipment and strategies. These are yet more examples of how United States vehicles May differ from vehicles made in Europe or the UK or the Middle East etc. There is not a vehicle that has the same calibration in the United States as it has on it when sold in a different country. These are yet just some more reasons why different countries may have different oil recommendations.

And again getting back to the main point is absolutely never rely on another country's oil recommendations to provide a feeling of support that these recommendations should also be able to apply to US cars.

The main point made which I hope now we can see stands is that the manufacturer will make the proper recommendation for your country. These are the folks that should be contacted not manuals from other countries or folks on an oil forum to include myself.

If an engine is converted to run on LPG, would it need a different engine oil grade?
How about LPG vs CNG, or gasoline vs Diesel?
E85 vs E10?

You would want to contact the manufacturer. Always contact the manufacturer if it's not specified. Yes there are certainly different oil recommendations for LPG cars in some cases and flex fuel cars should also have recommendations in the manual. Cars that I have converted to flex fuel cars for racing we certainly take that into account in oil selection.

Ok, now that we've established fuel chemistry differences are significant between countries let's talk about how different fuel chemistry can interact with engine oil to impact engine performance and how this can impact changes in oil recommendations.

One very small example of this which let's not focus entirely on would be studies on ethanol and methanol content and it's impact on cold start to operating temp behavior and then studies that further look at it's impact on high temp behavior as well.

We could go over study after study on how these differences in gasoline chemistry can impact oil recommendations but again this is simply one part of oil recommendations.

If you recall in my original post I also mentioned things like engine calibrations as well as emission systems equipment and strategies. These are yet more examples of how United States vehicles May differ from vehicles made in Europe or the UK or the Middle East etc. There is not a vehicle that has the same calibration in the United States as it has on it when sold in a different country. These are yet just some more reasons why different countries may have different oil recommendations.

And again getting back to the main point is absolutely never rely on another country's oil recommendations to provide a feeling of support that these recommendations should also be able to apply to US cars.

The main point made which I hope now we can see stands is that the manufacturer will make the proper recommendation for your country. These are the folks that should be contacted not manuals from other countries or folks on an oil forum to include myself.
Okay so you don't know how German fuel chemistry is specifically different, nor do you know how it impacts grade selection both there and in the US. You don't actually know if "engine calibrations" are different and you don't really know if any differences would impact oil grade selection either way if they do exist. You don't actually know any of this nor how it is relevant to grade.

The main point made which I hope now we can see stands is that the manufacturer will make the proper recommendation for your country.
Oil viscosity recommended also depends on fuel type??

Last edited:
Okay so you don't know how German fuel chemistry is specifically different, nor do you know how it impacts grade selection both there and in the US. You don't actually know if "engine calibrations" are different and you don't really know if any differences would impact oil grade selection either way if they do exist. You don't actually know any of this nor how it is relevant to grade.

That's not what I posted.

I posted the fuel chemistries are different. I think we agree on that now?

I posted that these changes in fuel chemistry do impact interaction with oil chemistry and those impacts can be on both cold start performance and high temp performance. Both relate to oil chemistry and viscosity right?

I posted that engine calibrations are different from USA to other countries. Not that I didn't know. I have calibrated ECUs for USA cars and EU cars.

And as I've stated multiple times now this All leads back to the main point which is absolutely make sure you are following the recommendations for the country that your vehicle was designed for and contact the manufacturer if you would like to deviate from this as this is where you will receive the best advice and not from members of this forum to include myself who may make recommendations without even knowing that things like fuel chemistries emissions calibrations and hardware changes can be significant on vehicles from the USA to other countries.

It would be more relevant if grade recommendations in the manual were based on technical criteria and requirements, which unfortunately they are not. It’s the crux of the problem in any discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back