Amsoil SS 0W-20 vs Schaeffer’s 0W-20 & filter in Honda 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! Long time lurker first time poster. My fiancé is getting a 2023 Honda HR-V with a 2.0L in it and I’m just trying to figure out what I want to run in it long term. I know a lot of people are of the opinion that basically any modern synthetic will do perfectly fine. I don’t disagree with that statement, but I prefer to support the smaller businesses like Amsoil and Schaeffer’s. I’ve used both of these oils in multiple applications for the past ten years and have been pleased. I’ve ran Amsoil more than Schaeffer’s, but as of the last few years I can get the Supreme 9000 for about $2 a quart cheaper than the Signature Series because my dad has a corporate account. I’m plan on doing Oil Analyses to see how they both stack up, but am looking for some opinions on what you all would use in this motor. I’ll be using the Amsoil with their Filter, but I’m unsure on the type of filter to use with Schaeffer’s. Her civic right now with Schaeffer’s in it is using a Purolator Boss. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews on them with some saying they’re the best out there and a lot of people saying they are garbage. Should I pair the Schaeffer’s with an Amsoil filter when I try that combo out? If this was your car what would you do? I realize all of this is probably overkill but it’s something I enjoy doing. TIA!

Last edited:
Welcome to bitog. Thick vs thin and daily Amsoil threads.

I'd use any 5w30 that meets dexos 1 gen 3, and leave thinner oils on the shelf.

Can't decide on a brand? Use the one everybody says is second best.
Thank you! I’ll have to look into whether or not it will void the Honda warranty “if” something were to go wrong. I looked in the owners manual and it only states to use 0W-20 and there are no other recommendations like there have been on prior years. I agree though. Her 1.8L is a good little engine, but it’s very noisy. I think it would have benefitted from something a little bit thicker. I just read from a lot of people that the clearances on these Honda motors are really small. I never really knew who to believe on it. I grew up with older trucks and cars and never thought twice about throwing in some 10W-30/40.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! Long time lurker first time poster. My fiancé is getting a 2023 Honda HR-V with a 2.0L in it and I’m just trying to figure out what I want to run in it long term. I know a lot of people are of the opinion that basically any modern synthetic will do perfectly fine. I don’t disagree with that statement, but I prefer to support the smaller businesses like Amsoil and Schaeffer’s. I’ve used both of these oils in multiple applications for the past ten years and have been pleased. I’ve ran Amsoil more than Schaeffer’s, but as of the last few years I can get the Supreme 9000 for about $2 a gallon cheaper than the Signature Series because my dad has a corporate account. I’m plan on doing Oil Analyses to see how they both stack up, but am looking for some opinions on what you all would use in this motor. I’ll be using the Amsoil with their Filter, but I’m unsure on the type of filter to use with Schaeffer’s. Her civic right now with Schaeffer’s in it is using a Purolator Boss. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews on them with some saying they’re the best out there and a lot of people saying they are garbage. Should I pair the Schaeffer’s with an Amsoil filter when I try that combo out? If this was your car what would you do? I realize all of this is probably overkill but it’s something I enjoy doing. TIA!
Look into Triax Motor oils good stuff from what I’m hearing.

Thank you! I’ll have to look into whether or not it will void the Honda warranty “if” something were to go wrong. I looked in the owners manual and it only states to use 0W-20 and there are no other recommendations like there have been on prior years. I agree though. Her 1.8L is a good little engine, but it’s very noisy. I think it would have benefitted from something a little bit thicker. I just read from a lot of people that the tolerances on these Honda motors are really small. I never really knew who to believe on it. I grew up with older trucks and cars and never thought twice about throwing in some 10W-30/40.
Make sure you say clearances instead of tolerances. Or you'll get jacked up by the resident curmudgeon.
IMO both are correct. Clearances can be smaller because of tighter tolerances' from one bearing to the next, stiffer cranks and blocks etc.

Thank you! I’ll have to look into whether or not it will void the Honda warranty “if” something were to go wrong. I looked in the owners manual and it only states to use 0W-20 and there are no other recommendations like there have been on prior years. I agree though. Her 1.8L is a good little engine, but it’s very noisy. I think it would have benefitted from something a little bit thicker. I just read from a lot of people that the clearances on these Honda motors are really small. I never really knew who to believe on it. I grew up with older trucks and cars and never thought twice about throwing in some 10W-30/40.
Some say that about my wife older Honda too, can only use 5w20 oil passages are too small. No. I run 0/5w40 in it and it helps quiet it down a lot, so did 5w30 too. I'd vote for Schaeffer and whatever filter. If you want to stick w the factory spec that would be fine but I'd change it earlier than olm personally but you do what you think is correct.

Personally, I'd just use the Honda OEM Filter. I have used both Schaeffers and Amsoil. My only gripe is getting Schaeffers is harder for me than getting Amsoil. My Amsoil dealer has a showroom where I can walk in an purchase smaller amounts at one time. With Schaeffers, I had to get $400 at one time to get their best prices. I just like walking in and making a purchase. Old school...

Both are great companies and you won't make a mistake either way you decide.

Someone is going to jump in and state the warranty won't be voided by using xW-30 or XW-40. Uh, No!
I called Honda about SD's 2019 Civic and was emphatically told the Owner's Manual states 0W-20 for a reason, is the only oil to be used, and anything else will void the warranty.
So let the lawnchair lawyers say their thing, but ignore them. The Magnussen Moss Act has nothing to do with using a spec not recommended by the OEM. It says you can use any non-OEM parts/consumables that meet the OEM's spec.

Hello everyone! Long time lurker first time poster. My fiancé is getting a 2023 Honda HR-V with a 2.0L in it and I’m just trying to figure out what I want to run in it long term. I know a lot of people are of the opinion that basically any modern synthetic will do perfectly fine. I don’t disagree with that statement, but I prefer to support the smaller businesses like Amsoil and Schaeffer’s. I’ve used both of these oils in multiple applications for the past ten years and have been pleased. I’ve ran Amsoil more than Schaeffer’s, but as of the last few years I can get the Supreme 9000 for about $2 a quart cheaper than the Signature Series because my dad has a corporate account. I’m plan on doing Oil Analyses to see how they both stack up, but am looking for some opinions on what you all would use in this motor. I’ll be using the Amsoil with their Filter, but I’m unsure on the type of filter to use with Schaeffer’s. Her civic right now with Schaeffer’s in it is using a Purolator Boss. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews on them with some saying they’re the best out there and a lot of people saying they are garbage. Should I pair the Schaeffer’s with an Amsoil filter when I try that combo out? If this was your car what would you do? I realize all of this is probably overkill but it’s something I enjoy doing. TIA!
If you like supporting small businesses, check out High Performance Lubricants - I'm sure they make an appropriate oil for your Honda and it's another option for you along with the two you listed. They are a forum sponsor so you should easily find the info/websites/contact looking at the stickie'd threads on the subforums.

Amsoil with an oem filter. .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back