Amsoil SS 0W-20 vs Schaeffer’s 0W-20 & filter in Honda 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Honda’s recommended oil change interval for this motor?
From everything I’m reading it’s 5K-7.5K or when the maintenance minder hits 15%. Do you know anything about the quality of Idemitsu? It’s the factory fill on all of the Honda’s with 0W-20 and they claim to be the ones that developed the 0W-20 for Honda. I’ve searched high and low and can’t really turn anything up on the quality of the oil.

Someone is going to jump in and state the warranty won't be voided by using xW-30 or XW-40. Uh, No!
I called Honda about SD's 2019 Civic and was emphatically told the Owner's Manual states 0W-20 for a reason, is the only oil to be used, and anything else will void the warranty.
So let the lawnchair lawyers say their thing, but ignore them. The Magnussen Moss Act has nothing to do with using a spec not recommended by the OEM. It says you can use any non-OEM parts/consumables that meet the OEM's spec.
They gave you incorrect information. For one thing the grade is not a “spec”. It’s a recommendation.

Call them back and ask them to point you to the owner’s manual or warranty book section that ties grade to the warranty.

From everything I’m reading it’s 5K-7.5K or when the maintenance minder hits 15%. Do you know anything about the quality of Idemitsu? It’s the factory fill on all of the Honda’s with 0W-20 and they claim to be the ones that developed the 0W-20 for Honda. I’ve searched high and low and can’t really turn anything up on the quality of the oil.
The quality is as good as the licenses, specifications or approvals it may carry.

The oil won't know what filter you are using, nor vice a versa.
Pick an appropriate filter for the engine that you feel warm and fuzzy about.
I've put Honda OEM, ST, and Fram Ultra on my SD's Honda and none made it run any differently nor change the time OLM said to change it.

Didn't someone mention in this thread that you need to order $400 worth of their products to delete the shipping cost?
My dad has a corporate account at a local retailer that carries it which is why I can get it cheaper. If I had to order direct though them online it would definitely not be worth it. I think shipping on a case would run me about $58.

My dad has a corporate account at a local retailer that carries it which is why I can get it cheaper. If I had to order direct though them online it would definitely not be worth it. I think shipping on a case would run me about $58.
If you want to support local jobs, Chevron has a refinery in Pascagoula, MS.

Last edited:
If you want to support local jobs, Chevron has a refinery in Pascagoula, MS.
My Fiancé is from Gulfport so we are down that way a few times a month. I’ve never used Havoline. I’ll have to look into their products. I know Chevron’s diesel oils are pretty liked. When it comes to gas I usually try to only fill up with them or Shell.

Didn't someone mention in this thread that you need to order $400 worth of their products to delete the shipping cost?
Read post #1 & #28 you'll see why I said to stick with Schaeffer's oil. It's not the cheapest oil out there but it's cheapest for the OP between the two of the oils.

2nd the vote for any synth 5w30. Since your brand choice is Amsoil vs Schaeffers... flip a coin. Both are excellent. Schaeffer 9000 with your discount is a no brainer.

Besides the Purolator Boss, can't go wrong with any of the full synth media oil filters. Don't forget about Fram Endurance, and the WixXP/NapaPlatinum filters too. Amsoil/RoyalPurple filters are a premium choice but not all of us like to make bulk purchases to spread out the shipping costs.

Reactions: wlk
They gave you incorrect information. For one thing the grade is not a “spec”. It’s a recommendation.

Call them back and ask them to point you to the owner’s manual or warranty book section that ties grade to the warranty.

Both certification and grade are in manuals as recommendations or requirements depending on wording and warranty documents are predicated on following the recommendations.

2023 hrv

Screenshot_20230409_102929_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20230409_103410_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:
Both certification and grade are in manuals as recommendations or requirements depending on wording and warranty documents are predicated on following the recommendations.

2023 hrv

View attachment 149524

View attachment 149525
No, they are not.

But you get extra credit for trying in many threads. You keep posting the same old circled words that don’t show what it is that you keep saying it shows.

No, they are not.

But you get extra credit for trying in many threads. You keep posting the same old circled words that don’t show what it is that you keep saying it shows.

I post the grade and certification both being indicated as recommended with no indication that either takes precedent by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back