2013 Acura TL SH-AWD w/ 31k miles overkill new owner maintenance - Amsoil Signature 5W20 and Amsoil filter?

I should add that I have driven the car maybe 100 miles in the 2 weeks I've had it just to avoid taking any chances with an aged timing belt causing something catastrophic before I can get it to the shop for the maintenance I just outlined.
Get the belt components changed....
ASAP.
Borrowed time

Ordered the HPL Performance Oil in 5W20 (recommended in owners manual) 6 qts and 1 qt of Engine Oil Cleaner 30. Also *splurged* and ordered the Amsoil EA series full synthetic filter. Is it overkill? Of course. But it's an experiment I'm curious to run.
I own 4 Honda Odysseys with the J series 3.5L V-6 with VCM enabled.
I used to use 5W-20 as recommended in the owners manual.
But I permanently switched to 5W-30, as some ASE auto mechanics on BITOG who repaired these engines for sludge accumulation commented that they thought 5W-20 oil was too easily causing varnish on the front 3 cylinder heads.

Also, 5W-20 oil has a HTHS of 2.6, which is right on the boarder line of adequate wear protection.
During an oil change interval, the oil will shear below 2.6, which the following chart shows puts you at risk for higher engine wear.

If you google this: HTHS wear graph
you'll see lower engine wear with a higher HTHS oil (like 5W-30) at 2.9+ (Most thicker 5W-30's are HTHS 3.1 to 3.2, with some euro 5W-30's at HTHS of 3.5+).

Also, dirty oil causes varnish, sludge, carbon buildup, and gums up the oil control ring/piston ring area.

Dirty oil doesn't show up on oil analysis, so someone could submit an oil sample to an oil testing lab with 10k miles on it,
with the oil in the drain basin flowing murky, sludgy, dirty as can be, and the oil testing lab could come back with a good report.
But to me, I prefer to only leave the full synthetic oil in my engine for 4k miles maximum.
Oil is so cheap, I'll never understand the need to leave it in the engine for 5k or 7.5k or 10k miles.

I own 4 Honda Odysseys with the J series 3.5L V-6 with VCM enabled.
I used to use 5W-20 as recommended in the owners manual.
But I permanently switched to 5W-30, as some ASE auto mechanics on BITOG who repaired these engines for sludge accumulation commented that they thought 5W-20 oil was too easily causing varnish on the front 3 cylinder heads.

Also, 5W-20 oil has a HTHS of 2.6, which is right on the boarder line of adequate wear protection.
During an oil change interval, the oil will shear below 2.6, which the following chart shows puts you at risk for higher engine wear.

If you google this: HTHS wear graph
you'll see lower engine wear with a higher HTHS oil (like 5W-30) at 2.9+ (Most thicker 5W-30's are HTHS 3.1 to 3.2, with some euro 5W-30's at HTHS of 3.5+).

Also, dirty oil causes varnish, sludge, carbon buildup, and gums up the oil control ring/piston ring area.

Dirty oil doesn't show up on oil analysis, so someone could submit an oil sample to an oil testing lab with 10k miles on it,
with the oil in the drain basin flowing murky, sludgy, dirty as can be, and the oil testing lab could come back with a good report.
But to me, I prefer to only leave the full synthetic oil in my engine for 4k miles maximum.
Oil is so cheap, I'll never understand the need to leave it in the engine for 5k or 7.5k or 10k miles.

Emailed the folks at @High Performance Lubricants and they were nice enough to modify my order from 5w20 to 5w30 mere hours before it shipped out today! Looking forward to trying this out along with the other maintenance items in about a week for my appointment.

What about in a 2023 GMC Terrain 1.5L 175 hp? My daughter's mother in law just bought an AT4 in desert sand color last week.
If it was my car I'd use 5w30 Dexos 1 G3, but it calls for woke 0W20.
Three liters of 0w20 and 2 liters of 5w30 Pet-Can fake synthetic, brings the grade up to the SAE 20 limit of 9.2@100C. Same add pack btw.
According to the Bolivian calculator:
40C 49.6
100C 9.2
HTHS 2.8
Noack 11.1
P .08
SA .88
S .26
BN 8.0
Density .845

Last edited:
Thought about this a little more….

So add 1qt Engine Cleaner and 3.5qts M1 5W20 for a total of 4.5qts. I have an OEM Acura filter that I’ll use and run this for approx 2k miles. Then drain and refill with 4.5qts of HPL 5w20 with the fancy Amsoil filter I have for a normal OCI of approx 4-5k miles and stay on that schedule. Corrrct?
Yep, Sir! About 1 to 5, Cleaner to regular motor oil of choice.
I'm running 1.5 quarts of the Cleaner with 6.5 quarts of MB 229.51 Castrol in my E320 right now. It's not dirty, but what the hey, it's a diesel. I already did this in one BMW, a Honda Civic, and my Honda lawnmower.
Makes me feel like one of the team.

The winning combo came in today; super quick shipping from both companies.

Attachments

• 9421320B-1254-4D45-8F1D-63CBC4C0D489.jpeg
    9421320B-1254-4D45-8F1D-63CBC4C0D489.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 22
Back