Accord Sport Owners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Can someone tell me what other differences in "suspension"(other than the 18" wheels/tires) between the Accord LX and SPORT? Now, I do realize the the SPORT has other features(4-5 more HP, rear spoiler, twin exhaust ports etc.) but, I like my cars kind'a basic anyway!

I test drove a '15 Accord SPORT the other day but, I think I would really like the LX w/16" wheels/tires. I am interested in another Accord(have had two others) but, I may also look at used Accords, if the prices aren't in the stratosphere due to Honda's high resale...which is why I always bought a new Accord!
smile.gif

I'm liking the LX mainly because it can be had with other interior colors. Whereas the SPORT can only be had with a Black interior and I want Tan-ish! And I don't want an EX or above!

I've never been to Rochester but based on geography I would assume there are a lot of potholes. I think you will appreciate the extra sidewall on the LX.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Char Baby said:
I've never been to Rochester but based on geography I would assume there are a lot of potholes. I think you will appreciate the extra sidewall on the LX.

Low profile tires on large diameter rims don't do potholes very well. The wheel can easily be damaged by the slightest bump. Also you end up with the rim protecting the tire instead of the other way around. A touch on a curb can become very expensive. And all this for a gain at the limit on a smooth road, a place where you may never drive on a pubic road because of the risk involved. This makes those larger diameter rims with low profile tires more of a fashion statement, possibly an expensive one.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
long term, tan seats always look like trash.

Not always, my Accord has tan seats and they are nearly mint!

I drove a new Subaru Liberty (your Legacy) for about an hour at work yesterday. It was the 2.5 auto. I think it was a base model, as it had cloth seats, no nav, etc, although it did have 18 inch alloys.

I was quite impressed with it. The engine had enough power, and honestly I wouldn't have picked it as a CVT - none of the usual "slipping clutch" type sensation I've experienced with other (Mitsubishi) CVT's. Handling was very confidence inspiring. Plenty of room inside, front and rear. Boot (trunk) space was only average. Full size spare was a surprise in a 2015 vehicle.

A great feature was the radar operated cruise control. I've never used it before, and it was awesome! That's something I'll be seeking on my next car. The lane departure warning stuff I could live without, but it's certainly useful technology. A colleague quipped that it would be really handy for drunk drivers... Lol.

The only real negative for me was the road noise, which I thought was quite excessive. Having said that, I've not driven any other recent mid-size cars to compare it with.

OP, if you end up test driving a Subaru, I'd be interested in your thoughts.

I have been looking at a 2015 Accord LX. To replace a money pit 2006 Explorer.
Can be bought for $21,000 or less. Thought about the Sport but they seem to price at about $2000 more. Not sure it's worth it.
For a reliable commuter car seems like a screaming deal. Has anyone bought the Honda care extended warranty? Saw a quote to take the warranty out to 120,000 miles for $900. Seems like a bargain. I would gladly have paid $900 not to have spent many Saturdays working on my 2006 Explorer.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Has anyone bought the Honda care extended warranty? Saw a quote to take the warranty out to 120,000 miles for $900. Seems like a bargain.

You may be able to buy it for less than that in the finance office. They tried to sell me a Honda Care warranty on our 2008 CR-V for over $1,000 (CPO vehicle). I bought it for something like $550 and didn't have a need to use it once*. It expired last week, when the CR-V turned 100,000 miles.

The house always wins.

*The dealer actually did replace the front stabilizer bar end links AND front struts, and charged it to the Honda Care warranty, but neither repair actually fixed the front end rattle. I fixed it myself with some Honda Molycote paste on the front brake pads. In the end, I got new struts, but unnecessarily.

I bought my accord LX two months ago. I was deciding between the LAX in the sport as well and I chose the LX for a few reasons. Reviews say that the sport rides a little bit too firm, the 18 inch wheels have been on multiple news outlets as being big theft magnets, and the price difference is too much for what little you get. I have really enjoyed my accord so far and the six speed manual transmission that I have is very smooth. You will definitely be able to get a manual transmission accord for a few thousand below retail.

I will definitely get the warranty from an on-line Honda source. People say fix it yourself but they don't put a price on their time. The time I spent working on my Explorer's transmission I could have been at the beach. As I said before Hondacare seems like a bargain.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I bought my accord LX two months ago. I was deciding between the LAX in the sport as well and I chose the LX for a few reasons. Reviews say that the sport rides a little bit too firm, the 18 inch wheels have been on multiple news outlets as being big theft magnets, and the price difference is too much for what little you get. I have really enjoyed my accord so far and the six speed manual transmission that I have is very smooth. You will definitely be able to get a manual transmission accord for a few thousand below retail.

What is the 6M like crusing on the highway? (mpg, rpms, etc)

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
As I said before Hondacare seems like a bargain.

As you know, it costs Honda less to actually fix the cars than offer the warranty (or they wouldn't be offering the warranty), so from that standpoint, Honda Care is statistically a loss for the consumer.

But as you said, it's essentially a $900 guarantee that you have the choice between laying on the sand or laying on your driveway. Buying new and warranting for 120k miles...I'd probably make the same choice myself.

How often do you have unscheduled maintenance costing you multiple thousand dollars on a historically reliable vehicle before 120K on the vehicle? Almost all of my "reliable" vehicles, I had no unscheduled maintenance at least until 150K miles.

You also have to understand that the extended warranty is NOT the new car warranty. It has substantial deductible for every visit. For example, it certainly does NOT include timing belt change. The person who does not want to get under the car or does not want to pay for somebody else to get under the car, for regular maintenance the warranty is useless.

Unless you have fallen in love with the one vehicle and you know it ranks well below on the reliability scale, you are wasting your money on extended warranty.

But some people like fake warm and fuzzy feelings.

No vehicle should blow up alternator, starter, fuel pump, computer, cooling system, compressor, evaporator, window motors, door locks etc during first 120K miles. If you don't have that confidence, purchase another vehicle.

Put the $900 in a CD and use it for routine maintenance instead.

Vikas- I cruise along between 60-62 mph and consistently average 38-40mpg on the drive to work (80/20 highway: city). RPM is 2200 approx. in 6th gear at those speeds, overall interior noise is very low on the highway. Suspension is relatively soft.

The 1 con that I did have during the first month was that the seat felt relatively hard and my lower back was a bit sore at times. Since then, the foam has softened up quite a bit and the seats are now MUCH more comfy.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You also have to understand that the extended warranty is NOT the new car warranty. It has substantial deductible for every visit. For example, it certainly does NOT include timing belt change.

Honda Care does not have a deductible, and a 4-cyl Accord (such as discussed in this thread) doesn't have a timing belt.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
No vehicle should blow up alternator, starter, fuel pump, computer, cooling system, compressor, evaporator, window motors, door locks etc during first 120K miles. If you don't have that confidence, purchase another vehicle.

No vehicle should, but things happen. Even the most reliable vehicles out there are not 100% reliable. And cars these days are so loaded up with electronics, it is really easy to run up significant bills by the time you hit 120K miles.

You seem to be living in some kind of dreamland, my friend.
smile.gif

If you don't put a $ figure on your time and aggravation it does not make financial sense. But after spending numerous weekends working on my Explorer and my Buick before that I started to tally up my time. Tired of it.Already bought the For sale signs.

I will be buying the Accord and Hondacare warranty online. Taking delivery locally. I went by the dealer and they said Hondacare also provides a loaner vehicle.

Looking forward to spending more time at the beach and spending time with my grand daughter.

So tell me your experience please! I am assuming we are talking about 8/120K extended warranty. Since most new cars have at least 3/36K (or 4/50K for luxury brands), we are talking about coverage for 5yr/75K starting at 3/36K.

Give me your list of cars and the stuff that got fixed under the extended warranty and realistic repair cost if you had to put your own money in fixing it.

Let us see the real numbers, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back