Today's Loaner: 2023 430i xDrive Coupe

The Club Sport is getting its annual oil service (plus plugs and a fuel filter) at my dealer and I was given a new 430i xDrive coupe for my loaner. It's black on black, which at least hides the huge grille. It actually has the M Sport suspension and it feels maybe a touch stiffer than the C43 in comfort mode; it definiely lets more high frequency suspension motions through. Like the C43, it also has 19" wheels with run-flats. The steering is typical BMW- accurate but totally devoid of feel. It has 5k miles on it, which may explain that it felt a lot quicker than I expected; on the way to work I had a bit of fun with a G8 GT at the Pontiac's expense.

Inside, I'm still no fan of the widescreen display and the accompanying useless graphics. Ditto for the elimination of physical HVAC and audio controls- although in fairness some of the audio settings can be adjusted by buttons on the steering wheel. As I noted elsewhere, it has the most annoying safety nanny- hands down; it has road sign recognition and if you exceed the speed limit the road sign icon blinks for several seconds.I had to spend a couple of minutes drilling down through some iDrive menus but I was finally able to kill it.

At the end of the day I think its a comfortable cruiser but it's not particularly engaging. I drove it back-to-back with the C43 and the Mercedes is definitely the more involving drive. My wife also much preferred the C43.

Last edited:
The Club Sport is getting its annual oil service (plus plugs and a fuel filter) at my dealer and I was given a new 430i xDrive coupe for my loaner. It's black on black, which at least hides the huge grille. It actually has the M Sport suspension and it feels maybe a touch stiffer than the C43 in comfort mode; it definiely lets more high frequency suspension motions through. Like the C43, it also has 19" wheels with run-flats. The steering is typical BMW- accurate but totally devoid of feel. It has 5k miles on it, which may explain that it felt a lot quicker than I expected; on the way to work I had a bit of fun with a G8 GT at the Pontiac's expense.

Inside, I'm still no fan of the widescreen display and the accompanying useless graphics. Ditto for the elimination of physical HVAC and audio controls- although in fairness some of the audio settings can be adjusted by buttons on the steering wheel. As I noted elsewhere, it has the most annoying safety nanny- hands down; it has road sign recognition and if you exceed the speed limit the road sign icon blinks for several seconds.I had to spend a couple of minutes drilling down through some iDrive menus but I was finally able to kill it.

At the end of the day I think its a comfortable cruiser but it's not particularly engaging. I drove it back-to-back with the C43 and the Mercedes is definitely the more involving drive. My wife also much preferred the C43.
When did you get rid of the "2er"?

I also prefer the looks of the C43. It just has a classier vibe. Current bimmers just don't have the restrained good looks of the late 80s, 90s and early 2000s in my opinion. The exception being the current X3M Competition.

Last edited:
I'd love to see some pictures of the loaner.
Here you go:
IMG_2338.jpeg
IMG_2346.jpeg
IMG_2342.jpeg
IMG_2343.jpeg

Thomas on the Throttle House YT channel said that he thought the M340i felt like a 330i only with more horsepower. I think the same is true of the 4 Series; I'd enjoy this 430i as much as an M440i because there's just not an appreciable overall difference between the two. You'd have to move up to the M4 to get a more exciting driving experience.

I have two complaints; the screen isn’t integrated into the dashboard and it has very limited configuration options.

That's our opinion of the '24 version of the wifes car. Her '22 has a much more appealing dash in our opinion vs the '24.

IMO these tacked-on 'Tablet' looking dashes are becoming ridiculous.

Back