2022-2023 Toyota Tundra Recall - 98,600 vehicles for engine stall/failure issue

According to data from the NHTSA, the number of automobile recalls over the past four decades has seen a steep rise. With modern engineering and manufacturing methods, recalls should be going down. That is, unless the complexity is going up. Why would complexity go up? Because of EPA stricter and stricter regulations. Otherwise Toyota would certainly be still be using their reliable V-8

They would be using carburetors if there were no regulations.
And no seatbelts, who needs that?

They would be using carburetors if there were no regulations.
And no seatbelts, who needs that?
That's a laughable argument. Automakers would still try to make the best car possible, and if the consumer wants seatbelts and fuel injection, then they are going to make it. Do you realize you can actually still buy a horse and buggy? Do you own one? Why not? Maybe you want something more modern, with an engine and seatbelts and fuel injection? Regulations have nothing to do with the horse and buggy not being widely used today.

According to data from the NHTSA, the number of automobile recalls over the past four decades has seen a steep rise. With modern engineering and manufacturing methods, recalls should be going down. I've witnessed both first hand in my industry over the past 40 years. From drawing board to CAD systems. From manually operated machining processes to advanced CNC and robotics. There is virtuallu nothing that cannot be engineered and manufactured more precisely or better today that years ago. The only real world reason things go south now is because of the complexity Why would complexity go up? Because of EPA stricter and stricter regulations. Otherwise Toyota would certainly be still be using their reliable V-8. Same goes with other automakers.

Again, you are making an assumption. Correlation does not necessarily equal causation. The cars of today are far more reliable and last far longer than the cars from 40 years ago.
Are they more complex? Sure; computer tech is a biggie as an example.
40 years ago, you were lucky to get 100K out of a typical vehicle. 120K was really pushing it on original drivetrains.

Today I have 2 cars with well over 200K, my Tundra and TSX. My GS350 has over 100K and is like new.
Must be the EPA...

That's a laughable argument. Automakers would still try to make the best car possible, and if the consumer wants seatbelts and fuel injection, then they are going to make it. Do you realize you can actually still buy a horse and buggy? Do you own one? Why not? Maybe you want something more modern, with an engine and seatbelts and fuel injection? Regulations have nothing to do with the horse and buggy not being widely used today.
Insurance companies pushed seat belts and then seat belt laws, not the auto companies.
EPA pushed better mileage; now 30 mpg is easy; Prius gets like 50 I believe.

Automakers are in the business of making money; $80K plus pickups for the win!

It is like history started this morning so you make that argument. Remember meat packing industry was shoveling rats into cans.
Government job is to provide safe environment to everyone, not just you.

When Ford came out with the original 3.5 eco it was spec'd for 0w20 oil. Shortly after that it changed to 5w30 and has stayed there, apparently for good reason. Upshifting early is definitely a thing and with the turbos spooled it will lug, which isn't great for the bottom end.

Respectfully, that's speculation without data.
If it were due to EPA regulations then why don't they say so?
And why just certain engines? Why not all that meet spec?
No worries - I was not exactly clear. Almost all engine technology is somehow directly related to meet EPA rules. For example, displacement on demand was made to increase fuel economy and would not have been introduced due to costs of the system and we see lots of issues in the field with these systems. Second example is direct injection - purely introduced to allow more power/better econ/better emissions all at the cost of intake valve deposits and other issues. I can go on with a few more examples but automakers rarely go out on their own to improve metrics without being forced too. As far as why don't they say so? I don't know why but it can almost be considered a "known thing" if that makes sense. I have over 30 yrs experience in GM engineering, quality operations and production before recently retiring and the one thing that always sticks in my mind are the stress the powertrain engineers were always under trying to achieve EPA and MPG metrics - thus new technologies emerged and they were always risky for reliability and that is what we are seeing now in today's vehicles.

Yes, emissions, I get it.
MPG, on the other hand, is horrid for such an engine.

MPG isn't stellar for the TTV6, but it is better than the 5.7.

Basically you said the same thing I did. The engine was developed for an improvement in CAFE, and more stringent emissions standards.

I was considering a GX550 Overtrail. That idea is on indefinite hold, to see how this pans out.

When Ford came out with the original 3.5 eco it was spec'd for 0w20 oil. Shortly after that it changed to 5w30 and has stayed there, apparently for good reason. Upshifting early is definitely a thing and with the turbos spooled it will lug, which isn't great for the bottom end.

Hmm, I purchased one of the very first 2011 3.5 Ecoboost powered F150's. It was a 5W-30 spec, and always got 10W-30 or 10W-40 synthetic. When I retired, it had about 160K trouble free miles on it.

Anyway Wiki has a page, towards the bottom is the Toyota Truck 3.5tt engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Dynamic_Force_engine

It does state 37% thermal efficiency.

MPG isn't stellar for the TTV6, but it is better than the 5.7.

Basically you said the same thing I did. The engine was developed for an improvement in CAFE, and more stringent emissions standards.

I was considering a GX550 Overtrail. That idea is on indefinite hold, to see how this pans out.
I personally was seeing myself in Sequoia after Atlas. Atlas is much bigger inside, and currently that is priority. But I need something that can do off roading. And Sequoia would fill that gap. But, this makes me think after I don’t need this much space, it might be some other vehicle. Will see how this 3.4TT issues are resolved.
I know it has better mpg than 5.7. That is really not an achievement considering 5.7 is very low bar to cross. Also, GM doesn’t have an issue meeting emission standards with NA V8. Toyota wanted to offer some punch, and there is learning curve there.

Hmm, I purchased one of the very first 2011 3.5 Ecoboost powered F150's. It was a 5W-30 spec, and always got 10W-30 or 10W-40 synthetic. When I retired, it had about 160K trouble free miles on it.

Anyway Wiki has a page, towards the bottom is the Toyota Truck 3.5tt engine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Dynamic_Force_engine

It does state 37% thermal efficiency.
The original 3.5 eco came out in 2009 in a number of vehicles with a 5w20 spec. It didn't hit the trucks until 2011 by which time the spec was 5w30. Mine has run Castrol 0w40 since it came home from the dealer and will continue to do so.

1717527369480.jpg

1717527596619.jpg

The original 3.5 eco came out in 2009 in a number of vehicles with a 5w20 spec. It didn't hit the trucks until 2011 by which time the spec was 5w30. Mine has run Castrol 0w40 since it came home from the dealer and will continue to do so.

View attachment 223120
View attachment 223121
The EcoBoost has also had an excellent track record and was even used in the Ford GT.

Back