2022-2023 Toyota Tundra Recall - 98,600 vehicles for engine stall/failure issue

I lament the downfall of the V8. I have one now and if all goes as planned we’ll get a ‘26 GM L87. I’ve actually not had a car with pushrods in 33 years, and am looking forward to it.

Looks like a lot of changes have been made any one of these upgrades or all in combination could be the culprit. Possible Fake Plugs, Junk injectors, Coils etc. I would go back to OEM and I if you insist on using the aftermarket "performance" parts SWAP them out one at a time.

Sounds like they should have just revived the 2JZ and given in dual injection. Hope you don’t have issues with yours, it’s a shame that Toyota seems to have lost its way.
Obligatory:
2jz_with_nas_by_angrymurderface_d1ytbd0-fullview.jpeg

It makes me wonder though, how many less problems would there be (specifically with the 10 speed Ford's) if they didn't choose to borderline overheat them during normal usage.
Even in 2005 they were doing stuff similar to this (for emissions I assume)...i had to tell my coworker not to stop turning off the AC when I'm not in the truck... because he'll get too cold but leave the engine running and it does not turn on cooling fans until 230f unless the AC or defrost is active then it keeps it under 200. It drives me nuts.

Temperature has been brought up with the 10R80 CDF Drum sleeve walking, Not sure about the validity though.

Temperature has been brought up with the 10R80 CDF Drum sleeve walking, Not sure about the validity though.
I certainly keep a VERY close eye on mine now when I tow (Actually all the time). My maximum comfortable temp is 210. It'll spike up there but cool down quickly.

I did have an 'event' where I'd accidentally overfilled it, and we were coming up I85 out of Florida running faster than we should have been dealing with really crap traffic where I had a 9-10 flare (Wasn't monitoring temps) popped into Torque Pro and the stupid thing had run away to 250 deg. Stopped for gas and had blown a bunch of fluid out of it. Super sensitive to fluid level they are it turns out.

So, this engine has reportedly also been used in the Lexus LS since 2017.

If it’s a design problem (insufficient oiling), then why haven’t there been any reported problems with the LS?

I realize that the engines between the LS and the Tundra/LC may not be identical. But they’re close enough that I doubt there would be major bottom end design differences.

I’m not sure I would jump to the conclusion that it’s a design fault and that Toyota is being deceptive.

Toyota hasn’t gotten to where they are by operating in that manner.
Before I commented I searched the internet and found a failed LS engine on the first page of threads, so there are failures but like I said its a halo vehicle.

So, this engine has reportedly also been used in the Lexus LS since 2017.

If it’s a design problem (insufficient oiling), then why haven’t there been any reported problems with the LS?

I realize that the engines between the LS and the Tundra/LC may not be identical. But they’re close enough that I doubt there would be major bottom end design differences.

I’m not sure I would jump to the conclusion that it’s a design fault and that Toyota is being deceptive.

Toyota hasn’t gotten to where they are by operating in that manner.
Probably there is, but LS is low volume seller. Don’t forget that Toyota successfully avoided recall of problematic transmissions in 2017. However, customers didn’t avoid failed transmissions. They just quietly resolved problem for 2018 and left customers of 2017 Highlander and Sienna AWD models hanging out dry.

My gut tells me it's a design issue because as others have pointed out, how does the problem show up when the engines are made in Japan and Texas?
I also put blame on EPA rules forcing automakers to drop V-8's and produce more and more costly, overcomplicated engines.
More complication = more problems

It could be debris, but all the experts making videos sure seem it's something else, but can't support jack of what they say. I'd guess the oil passage come from the top of the main and down to the crank and sure possible debris got in the way. At least the guy who made this video showed us something. But dam those bores are thick.

tundra 1.jpg

tundra 2.jpg

tundra 3.jpg

The topic of Toyota's failing turbo engines has been discussed here recently, and this article from Jalopnik says that Toyota has figure out the problem and the automaker has issued a recall for just over 100,000 of the V6s, which are found in the Tundra and Lexus LX.

CLICK HERE for the story.

Here is a summary for the linked article:

Toyota has identified the cause of the failures in its twin-turbo V6 engines found in the 2022-2023 Tundra and Lexus LX models. The issue stems from machining debris left inside the engines during production, which can cause main bearing failures. This debris can lead to engine knock, rough running, no-start conditions, and even sudden loss of power while driving, significantly increasing the risk of accidents.

The recall affects over 100,000 vehicles in North America, and Toyota is working on notifying owners and providing a fix by the end of July 2024. The problem is particularly associated with the V35A-FTS engine and does not affect the hybrid iForce Max versions of these vehicles

The "machining debris" explanation is straight out of the Hyundai Theta II Debacle handbook. It wasn't machining debris in Hyundai's case, and it's not machining debris in Toyota's case. I bet that for the 2026 model year we'll see a major engine block redesign.

Last edited:
I find that hard to believe its an outright design issue. Something that significant would have shown up in testing. Not like these engines have 200K miles on them, there brand new.

I am also skeptical of the "debris" story. I would guess more along the lines of a machining or material quality defect over design, possibly exasperated by a marginal design?

The Nissan VK engines suffered from bad machining in one cylinder on some engines. Didn't show up to 30-40K. It was lousy machine operation / maintenance. Could be along those lines?

Back