2022-2023 Toyota Tundra Recall - 98,600 vehicles for engine stall/failure issue

You know, I've thought about that statement a time or two. We all know that these OEM's do a pile of testing before they release a design, yet time and time again we see things pop up that 'should' have been caught during testing.

I'm honestly curious why that is. Is it the beancounters getting in the way after the engineering is done? Is the testing not as difficult as daily vehicle usage is?

Just a thought I have every time I see something like this pop up.

I find that hard to believe its an outright design issue. Something that significant would have shown up in testing. Not like these engines have 200K miles on them, there brand new.

No need for such a complex engine in a pickup truck used as a daily driver.

5.7L N/A engine was better.

While a good engine, the 5.7 wasn't terribly fuel efficient which hurts Toyota's CAFE, and it's emissions were also a problem for meeting ever more stringent emissions standards.

Everything that is coming out about this is pointing to a production issue and not a design issue. Design validation is always more intensive then production process validation testing. Seems like a production issue wasn't caught with the validation that was required.

Its not just Toyota, it seems all manufactures can no longer do the correct thing anymore. So what is it, the younger bunch running the shows and thinking the old designers of the past didn't know what they were doing?
There are many improvements that could be done, but they won't do it. It calls for engineering regression into the ancient times, of the great generation. :ROFLMAO:
And worse of all it would cost $ to make improvements, yeah I know they don't think a recall and losing customers cost a thing.
You know similar to all the money Takata saved with the propellant for the air bags. Typical bean counting joke a rama.

It just seems that nobody is building reliable engines anymore and it's all due to trying to meet EPA regulations etc. Every auto maker has issues of some sort with power trains and mostly in trucks...Toyota is now on the list as well.

Everything that is coming out about this is pointing to a production issue and not a design issue. Design validation is always more intensive then production process validation testing. Seems like a production issue wasn't caught with the validation that was required.
It is a definite design issue, on many levels.

It just seems that nobody is building reliable engines anymore and it's all due to trying to meet EPA regulations etc. Every auto maker has issues of some sort with power trains and mostly in trucks...Toyota is now on the list as well.
If they all said NO together, and shut down together, I just bet things would change quick.

100%.

Just look at what Honda did to the J-Series. It went from being an excellent engine to being an oil-burning, piston ring-sticking, pain-in-the-butt engine. All because of tightening emissions/fuel economy.

Not that getting better mileage is all bad, but man has it jacked up a bunch of good engine designs.

While a good engine, the 5.7 wasn't terribly fuel efficient which hurts Toyota's CAFE, and it's emissions were also a problem for meeting ever more stringent emissions standards.
but 3.5TT is really inefficient engine considering complexity. Sequoia can barely hit 20mpg on hwy. I mean it helped CAFE a bit. There are also emission targets that had to be met.

100%.

Just look at what Honda did to the J-Series. It went from being an excellent engine to being an oil-burning, piston ring-sticking, pain-in-the-butt engine. All because of tightening emissions/fuel economy.

Not that getting better mileage is all bad, but man has it jacked up a bunch of good engine designs.
The problem is that they have to be competitive. And even with VCM those engines are fuel pigs in Pilot. Competition is always there. Big three tried to argue against emission standards in 70’s and competition obliterated them over time with more fuel efficient engines.
If anything, regulation pushed some manufacturers to get their act together. Otherwise, they would still sell new version of weber carburetors.

100%.

I think the piston deposit problem has always been very much dependent on owner maintenance (read: lack thereof).

It seems that the folks who have had problems with it are from the crowd who goes to the dealer every 10,000 miles (or more) for their bulk 0W-20 oil changes.

Those who are very intentional about frequent oil changes with very good synthetic oil haven’t had many issues, it would seem.

Of course, use case is also a big factor; short trips in cold weather are definitely a contributing factor.

With our 2024, I didn’t take a chance and went ahead and muzzled VCM immediately, and, at 5100 miles, I’ve already done 2 oil changes. And with the wife’s commute being over 60 miles of interstate per day, short tripping isn’t an issue for us.

But, yeah, with VCM, it probably isnt an engine that’s going to do well with minimal oil changes using cheap oil.

I think the piston deposit problem has always been very much dependent on owner maintenance (read: lack thereof).

It seems that the folks who have had problems with it are from the crowd who goes to the dealer every 10,000 miles (or more) for their bulk 0W-20 oil changes.

Those who are very intentional about frequent oil changes with very good synthetic oil haven’t had many issues, it would seem.

Of course, use case is also a big factor; short trips in cold weather are definitely a contributing factor.

With our 2024, I didn’t take a chance and went ahead and muzzled VCM immediately, and, at 5100 miles, I’ve already done 2 oil changes. And with the wife’s commute being over 60 miles of interstate per day, short tripping isn’t an issue for us.

But, yeah, with VCM, it probably isnt an engine that’s going to do well with minimal oil changes using cheap oil.
Ours get Mobil1 0W20 every 5k. No issues so far (105,000mls) with engine,except those pesky oil sensors.

Back